RTR Motor Upgrades

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idropurbox

I didn't get any response the first time I posted this question so I will try again with a new title since only 43 people looked the last time.

Hey Guy's, so OS discontinued our beloved OS CVR-M .18 non pull start for what ever reason. What are your thoughts on taking the EB Mod 18 TZ (P)-T W/11K Slide carb and pulling off the air cooled heat sink and machining the head button to accept the water cooled jacket from the AUQ .18 motor or the OS .18 motors? That motor puts out 2.1 HP at 31,000 RPM and 87 OZ-IN of torque @ 25,500 RPM! To me this sounds like it might push the Vegas along pretty nicely? I have seen a couple of Vegas' with buggy motors in them and they seemed to move pretty well. How much more gain can one expect over the stock AUQ motor?

Your thoughts?

Tom

Tom,.. I dont' have a vegas anymore but when I did I ran a modified TZ.12 with a water cooled head. It was definitley faster than the the other boats I ran with the stock .18. The TZ18 is a very good motor, especially for the price. You will be able to run more prop and it will definitely be much faster than the CVR-M. You can check,.. that cooling head may even fit the TZ 18. IT mayy be easier just to machine a water cooled head to fit the TZ. A one piece head that mates to the head button, with some high temp sealer, worked very well on my TZ's.

I didn't get any response the first time I posted this question so I will try again with a new title since only 43 people looked the last time.
Hey Guy's, so OS discontinued our beloved OS CVR-M .18 non pull start for what ever reason. What are your thoughts on taking the EB Mod 18 TZ (P)-T W/11K Slide carb and pulling off the air cooled heat sink and machining the head button to accept the water cooled jacket from the AUQ .18 motor or the OS .18 motors? That motor puts out 2.1 HP at 31,000 RPM and 87 OZ-IN of torque @ 25,500 RPM! To me this sounds like it might push the Vegas along pretty nicely? I have seen a couple of Vegas' with buggy motors in them and they seemed to move pretty well. How much more gain can one expect over the stock AUQ motor?

Your thoughts?

Tom

Tom,.. I dont' have a vegas anymore but when I did I ran a modified TZ.12 with a water cooled head. It was definitley faster than the the other boats I ran with the stock .18. The TZ18 is a very good motor, especially for the price. You will be able to run more prop and it will definitely be much faster than the CVR-M. You can check,.. that cooling head may even fit the TZ 18. IT mayy be easier just to machine a water cooled head to fit the TZ. A one piece head that mates to the head button, with some high temp sealer, worked very well on my TZ's.

Your thoughts?

Tom
Thanks Anthony, I appreciate your input!

Your thoughts?

Tom
Well...awhile back I went through a lot of the parts in the parts breakdowns for the CVR and the CVRM and I am pretty sure they are the exact same engines with different heads. That being said, I think the CVR sells for $99...and the marine head for about $25. So for about $125, you can have a CVRM...not sure what the buggy head would fetch on ebay...

As to the TZ, it is a more powerful engine...and I am still playing with it...but it seems a lot less reliable than the CVRM. Again, still early in my testing, but having a hard time finding and keeping a tune with it. I have been able to turn larger props with it, but was only able to achieve speeds similar to what the CVRM did with a smaller prop. The TZ did like the smaller props though (doing better than the CVRM). I think it likes the RPMs... I think the lack of dependability stems from being over cooled. The little I read from the buggy guys...gave me temperatures everywhere from 220-280. The problem with our application is that water boils at 212... So the challenge is to get some cooling to it, but not to overcool it. I was shooting for 200 degrees...

As to the mass produced "EB mod" engines...I have read some bad things on them. In short, I read that the engine is not modded very much for the money that is charged. I have no personal experience with engines that are modded...so can't speak from personal experience. Also, you are going to have to add a bellcrank to the carb linkage to use the slide carb, and figure out what you are going to do about the crankshaft (it is not a fully threaded crank, like what we use in boats).

I think we are hitting the end of what the MV hull is going to handle as our speeds get closer and closer to 50 MPH. I have heard of 50+ MPH speeds out of .21 powered MVs, but of course that is a larger engine which would add more weight to the hull. I guess I am wondering if a fully tuned TZ or "EB mod TZ" will be more than the hull can handle. Running fast is great, but the trick is to run fast with the wet side down, and the pointy end forward. ;)

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you talking about the TZ .12 or .18. The .12 will like a smaller prop for sure and will turn nutty RPM. The .18 I don't have as much experience with. It is rated for lower rpm and higher HP, which is typical.

Tom

Well...awhile back I went through a lot of the parts in the parts breakdowns for the CVR and the CVRM and I am pretty sure they are the exact same engines with different heads. That being said, I think the CVR sells for $99...and the marine head for about $25. So for about $125, you can have a CVRM...not sure what the buggy head would fetch on ebay...

As to the TZ, it is a more powerful engine...and I am still playing with it...but it seems a lot less reliable than the CVRM. Again, still early in my testing, but having a hard time finding and keeping a tune with it. I have been able to turn larger props with it, but was only able to achieve speeds similar to what the CVRM did with a smaller prop. The TZ did like the smaller props though (doing better than the CVRM). I think it likes the RPMs... I think the lack of dependability stems from being over cooled. The little I read from the buggy guys...gave me temperatures everywhere from 220-280. The problem with our application is that water boils at 212... So the challenge is to get some cooling to it, but not to overcool it. I was shooting for 200 degrees...

As to the mass produced "EB mod" engines...I have read some bad things on them. In short, I read that the engine is not modded very much for the money that is charged. I have no personal experience with engines that are modded...so can't speak from personal experience. Also, you are going to have to add a bellcrank to the carb linkage to use the slide carb, and figure out what you are going to do about the crankshaft (it is not a fully threaded crank, like what we use in boats).

I think we are hitting the end of what the MV hull is going to handle as our speeds get closer and closer to 50 MPH. I have heard of 50+ MPH speeds out of .21 powered MVs, but of course that is a larger engine which would add more weight to the hull. I guess I am wondering if a fully tuned TZ or "EB mod TZ" will be more than the hull can handle. Running fast is great, but the trick is to run fast with the wet side down, and the pointy end forward. ;)

Sean

Your thoughts?

Tom

Sean
Sounds like we're getting close to getting the MV airborn. I've ordered some sponson Mods from Jerry Dunlop and a top secret pipe that is supposed to get the thing close to 50 with the stock AUQ engine, I may cut out the boost port though. I'm going to start there and see what happens. Thanks for the input.

Back