RTR class(es)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know who said that experienced boaters couldn't run in an RTR class, I didn't see it but maybe I have to go through the whole thread again.

Who wants to tell Jerry Dunlap or Grimmie that they can't race their boats? Not me!

I can't even read this thread..... to political.

I thought intlwaters was about fun..... you guys having fun?

I can't even read this thread..... to political.

I thought intlwaters was about fun..... you guys having fun?
AMEN BROTHER!!! Has been an awful lot of political garbage on here, if I wanted to see taht stuff, I woudl turn on cspan or something. Its a hobby fellas, lets keep it that way eh? Its supposed to be fun my friends, fun I said! :D

I don't know if I'd call it political but more of an opinion gathering thread on what a RTR class needs to be. I think that the idea is being able to race on a budget but do it with boats that beginners or old pro's are comfortable with, especially those without building experience. These boats teach new boaters a lot about the basics of tuning and what the results are of a little tweaking here and there. The car and truck racers have the same thing, buy a RTR 4-wheeler then do some upgrading with aftermarket parts for reliability and to fix some of the problems that come with such vehicles yet try to keep it reasonably stock.

The idea is to get a set of rules that most people can agree upon.

This has been a pretty civil thread so far which is nice.

The fun will really begin once the rules are laid down so there will be some clubs willing to let these boats run.

The ABS class is a lost cause and like you Tom, I'd love to see the "A" class take off too which really hasn't happened either. When you figure that ProBoat alone has sold over (reportedly) 250,000 of their Miss Bud/ LLumar/ Elam boats there are going to be people that will want to race them. The same thing with the Miss Vegas as they're selling like hotcakes.

I thought it was a good thread too. It's really peaked my interest in the RTR class..

Better to go through this stuff now so we don't have problems later...

Not a lot of politics as I can see. It seems to me everyone is just giving their opinion. If it was political Chuck would ask us for our ideas and then not listen to us and create his own rules to meet his own ajenda. Since he is actually colaborating with others and getting advice from people, then its a group effort.

If you want to read political go to the "IMPBA...we got a problem" thread. Now that's political. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a lot of politics as I can see. It seems to me everyone is just giving their opinion. If it was political Chuck would ask us for our ideas and then not listen to us and create his own rules to meet his own ajenda. Since he is actually colaborating with others and getting advice from people and its a group effort.

If you want to read political go to the "IMPBA...we got a problem" thread. Now that's political. :(

maybe it isint as political as i thought.

people did get upset because I got report this to moderator pm's

after an 8 hour car trip yesterday it was too boring for me to read.

you will see i did not lock it. if your having fun then by all means continue.

thanks

tom

Not a lot of politics as I can see. It seems to me everyone is just giving their opinion. If it was political Chuck would ask us for our ideas and then not listen to us and create his own rules to meet his own ajenda. Since he is actually colaborating with others and getting advice from people, then its a group effort.

I'mn glad we are on the right track for the RTR class(es), alot to be gained here. :)

Frosty (& others), unfortunately as long as there is an organized group of people politics are going to be there, they are a necessary evil. Even though the IMPBA thread has swerved off in a different direction it contains things that needed to be brought to the forefront. Unless people are made aware up front, things happen before you know it. Better to put up with the BS now than wind up feeling like a mushroom later. :ph34r:

Now back to the good stuff ............. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
If we as a organization are ready to make this a reality we need to start form scratch. Have the Board get ideas from all districts and meet directly with the RTR manufacturers with rules in place and give them these rule requirements,possible add-on choices allowed,and let them build a low- cost competitive boat that we will be using as the "RTR" class. By doing it this way the boat builder has a direct market for his product,parts and fuel, and the new racer is hooked into the hobby,and the veteran racer has a class they all can drive as a "IROC" style event. This will only work if we involve the manufacturers in this process, if we continue to make the rules the normal way we will not get the new racers the hobby needs to sustain itself. District directors get this info from your clubs to Bill Zuber and the board, while Bill coontact the boat builders and set up a meeting either face to face or teleconference. IMPBA can have this thing in place and working by the next racing season so let's do the right thing for the hobby's sake!!!!!

The problem lies in that we have manufacturers building boats that we really don't have a class for. I've seen people complaining on a lot of boating forum sites that are saying that they'd like to be able to race their RTR boat but no club is offering the class or that there really isn't a class for them. What we're seeing now is going to the just the very tip of the iceberg in terms of RTR boats. Look at how many RTR cars and trucks that are on the shelves now that used to be only available in kit form.

We have people complaining that R/C boating is dying off, this may be the way to help save it. We get those people to the races then they see what else is going on then they'll want to move up in the world of R/C boat racing, it can be a win-win situation for everyone.

Ok after reading this stuff for over a week now and not being able to reply.......Thanks Tom for lettin me in... :D

I understand where the debate over stock and mod is at but where to start and stop.....For instance we run them with no drain plug and have actually drilled a couple more holes to allow water to escape while running...Will we be able to run without the plug in??...Taking it out would be a mod....

I also believe theres going to be a problem with the smaller proboats like the llumar...There isnt anyway that boat can compete with the Vegas....I understand you must finish to win but believe me a setup Vegas really wont have any problems finishing....

This is just something to ponder...

You need to keep it simple....The motors and pipes should be left stock except for pulling head shim.

All else is fair game....If people are able to modify it will keep interest up...So what if a guy shows up and gets beat..His incentive will be to modify so he can win...He will ask questions and get info then he'll be back the next time....If you throw a catergory out there thats bone stock the class will die...Most cant leave there boats alone....JMO

Last edited:
There could be places where people might try to get nit-picky. Drain holes I don't see as performance enhancing or would be auto-bailers.

If we as a organization are ready to make this a reality we need to start form scratch. Have the Board get ideas from all districts and meet directly with the RTR manufacturers with rules in place and give them these rule requirements,possible add-on choices allowed,and let them build a low- cost competitive boat that we will be using as the "RTR" class. By doing it this way the boat builder has a direct market for his product,parts and fuel, and the new racer is hooked into the hobby,and the veteran racer has a class they all can drive as a "IROC" style event. This will only work if we involve the manufacturers in this process, if we continue to make the rules the normal way we will not get the new racers the hobby needs to sustain itself. District directors get this info from your clubs to Bill Zuber and the board, while Bill coontact the boat builders and set up a meeting either face to face or teleconference. IMPBA can have this thing in place and working by the next racing season so let's do the right thing for the hobby's sake!!!!!
While it certainly would be nice IF the manufacturers would work with the IMPBA, it's not clear this will ever happen. They are driven to build what would sell. If that's a .18 today, that's what they will build. If tomorrow, a .25 is in vogue, or a better deal from their suppliers, they're going to switch to that. Not saying this is wrong, they're in business to make money. And quite frankly, I wonder if there are adequte numbers in IMPBA to even get the manufacturer's attention at this point.

So, what we can do instead is write rules for RTR that don't define a specific boat, engine size, or whatever. Instead, the rules say what an RTR is and what kind of (limited) changes can be made. Sorting boats out by classes in the early stages might be better left to each club, with the guidelines suggesting that doing this by manufacturer/model/engine size is a good way to do it. This way the RTR rules don't need to change every time someone comes out with a new boat.

There could be places where people might try to get nit-picky. Drain holes I don't see as performance enhancing or would be auto-bailers.

Ron i said that just to point out that getting real picky on the rules could make this very complicated....I think Kelly has a good grasp with the stock,mod and unlimited.... ;)

I think the IMPBA has enough classes as it is. However I also feel they should do something to encourage newcomers. I like the idea of a beginners class for the RTR boats, but that is all. I think the stock class should include only the available RTR hydros(Miss Vegas, Miss Lumar etc.). Stock being as it came out of the box or can be modified by upgrade parts, specified as such, for a particular boat (and sold) by it's manufacturer. If you choose to modify the boat beyond that , You will then have to enter it as a Sport 20 boat. Rules already exist for that class. You won't need any other classes. Keep in mind that manufacturers build these boats to improve sales first and make racers second (or third). If they happen to come together, that's great. It will be an impossible task to try to class everything they make. Perhaps clubs could make some time at their races (lunch break, etc) to allow these guys to run during regular races. Local advertisement could draw participants. Clubs might have a day where they could invite these people out to race their RTR's and expose them to other classes while they are visiting the pond. Just my 2 cents worth.

Mike

Ron i said that just to point out that getting real picky on the rules could make this very complicated....I think Kelly has a good grasp with the stock,mod and unlimited.... ;)

I understand it being a tight schedule but the words written by Racer504 is what I was talking about earlier. Let them run during our lunch break attitude. There are a bunch of RTR guys out there that want to run and that is the attitude that will drive everyone off. See Ron I told you this is the type of people that will ruin it for the new guys. The class needs to hold equal standing and I think several people agree with this. If you minimize the new guys, they will gone in a matter of days. I don't thik boating can really afford that.

Yeah I'm just staring off in boats now with a RTR. Yes I would like to race it. I want to race this and get good at it before I sink a bunch of money in a different class boat . Or..... maybe I could find out what class you run in and buy that kind of boat and race you green. Yeah I might not be able to keep up with you but you will have to get close to lap me and the results may not be pretty. I am willing to throw a lot of money away to deflate a mans ego, even if it is for 1 heat. That's the kind of stuff that gets me going.

I do like the rhyming too....and it makes good sense.

Have a happy day... I know I will... I'm headed to Cancun in the morning.

I like the RTR and under .21 idea,...

Its simple....Thats the way it should be....If i get my butt kicked by someone because there boats faster then mine...Guess what im gonna try and make mine faster...Its that simple.....You cant please everyone and if you try the class will fail.... ;)

Latest posts

Back