RTR class(es)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't mean to belittle or demean any type of boat or boater with my "Lunch Break" comment. I actually suggested 3 different options in my comments. All directed at getting these RTR guys out to a race course with bouys and people who can help them get going in the right direction. My first suggestion was the (roughly) RTR and under .21 class. My other suggestion was for a day for clubs to introduce these guys to racing(a day all their own). I also said the IMPBA and clubs need to look into getting some kind of Novice/RTR class. Did you miss all that? I have some experience at organising competitive events from a lifetime of model airplanes. I'm new to boats myself and have been racing boats for just over a year. I'm trying to help you here, but I can tell you if you get this too complicated it will never get off the ground. You are presently discussing rule changes for the IMPBA to create a national event out of something that at present is an almost non existent entity(the racing of RTR boats). At this time I could only support a (stock/hydroplane)RTR and under .21. If it goes really well then it will expand because it will have to.

Mike

I understand it being a tight schedule but the words written by Racer504 is what I was talking about earlier. Let them run during our lunch break attitude. There are a bunch of RTR guys out there that want to run and that is the attitude that will drive everyone off. See Ron I told you this is the type of people that will ruin it for the new guys. The class needs to hold equal standing and I think several people agree with this. If you minimize the new guys, they will gone in a matter of days. I don't thik boating can really afford that.

Yeah I'm just staring off in boats now with a RTR. Yes I would like to race it. I want to race this and get good at it before I sink a bunch of money in a different class boat . Or..... maybe I could find out what class you run in and buy that kind of boat and race you green. Yeah I might not be able to keep up with you but you will have to get close to lap me and the results may not be pretty. I am willing to throw a lot of money away to deflate a mans ego, even if it is for 1 heat. That's the kind of stuff that gets me going.

I do like the rhyming too....and it makes good sense.

Have a happy day... I know I will... I'm headed to Cancun in the morning.

You can have whatever class you want but if the peeps don't show then what's the point? This goes back to when some of you guys were bashing on me for exactly what some are saying here.

Why bother with this "make a new IMPBA class" discussion in the first place. There is already an IMPBA rule in place that allows a club to do just about whatever they want. Therefore, why doesn't "your" club just start a class and lead the way? I remember our club started a muffler rule 1 year prior to any IMPBA rule. Just go do it!

If a couple guys show up at our pond with RTR's (or any other boat) then they can race that day. That's right, no waiting for rule changes.

Crackerbox started in this same direction, cheap and easy. Look what happened. RTR will be the same one day. That's why they call it racing.

The Puget Sound Model Boat Club will be offering a RTR 18 Sport Hydro Class at it's October and November club events. There are currently 7 PSMBC members who have Miss Vegas hulls.

The basic rules are:

1. Stock engine - removing head shim o.k.

2. Keep the rear wings on the boat.

3. Replacement turn fin o.k.

4. Muffler that came with engine.

5. Metal props o.k.

6. Burn your own favorite fuel.

7. Run a course smaller than that used by the traditiional classes.

JD

I think this thread has been interesting to read and I have posted on other boards about this but I come here and, WHAM!, It hits like a brick being tossed from a car at 65mph, if you read from front to back here this has gotten way to complex for something that shouldnt be that way!

Dont make a RTR class as fads come and go but make a sport 18 class that all can come and toss a boat in as long as its not over the written displacement size.

stock, mod, and unlimited gets it to where there might not be enough boats to make a class.

There are people here that know first hand, that have been to races and raced in races, that the most modded, fastest boat dont always come in on top and even the slowest boat can place in a race. Our RTR race was a lot of fun, the fastest boat did not win, nor did the second fastest in fact the slowest vegas there won! The miss proboats were no match for the vegas boats but one took third place and the guy driving it was as new to boats as the next guy, and he was, I think, the most excited one there! Im not advertizing but go to TLR and check kip out, his picture with his boat and trophy is there, his first race and he is proud as hell..........Isnt that what its suposed to be......

one more note on the sport 18 class idea people that have .12 class boats would also be more likley to bring there boats out to the race instead of having the judge say there is just not enough to make a class for you mabey next time...

I think this thread has been interesting to read and I have posted on other boards about this but I come here and, WHAM!, It hits like a brick being tossed from a car at 65mph, if you read from front to back here this has gotten way to complex for something that shouldnt be that way!

Dont make a RTR class as fads come and go but make a sport 18 class that all can come and toss a boat in as long as its not over the written displacement size.

stock, mod, and unlimited gets it to where there might not be enough boats to make a class.

There are people here that know first hand, that have been to races and raced in races, that the most modded, fastest boat dont always come in on top and even the slowest boat can place in a race. Our RTR race was a lot of fun, the fastest boat did not win, nor did the second fastest in fact the slowest vegas there won! The miss proboats were no match for the vegas boats but one took third place and the guy driving it was as new to boats as the next guy, and he was, I think, the most excited one there! Im not advertizing but go to TLR and check kip out, his picture with his boat and trophy is there, his first race and he is proud as hell..........Isnt that what its suposed to be......

one more note on the sport 18 class idea people that have .12 class boats would also be more likley to bring there boats out to the race instead of having the judge say there is just not enough to make a class for you mabey next time...
ditto....

With all the spoons in this pot I can already see the death of this class before it's even given birth.

There is a saying I heard once. I think the term K.I.S.S. applies to us here. :D

...And also... it's guys just going fast that discourage people. It's guys going fast and not sharing the knowledge of how they got there. I am just as interested in getting everyone elses boat running as my own. Then it comes down to the driver alone. Case in point... My .60 Hydro used to be more than a lap faster than anyone in my district now it's any body race. What keeps things competitive is sharing your speed secrets not ruling them out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember our club started a muffler rule 1 year prior to any IMPBA rule. Just go do it!
Actually our entire district had a muffler rule in place over a year before the IMPBA did. Preston is right, just go for it, lead by example & others will follow. B)

If a couple guys show up at our pond with RTR's (or any other boat) then they can race that day. That's right, no waiting for rule changes.
Yup, bring a couple of the same style of boats to the pond on club race day & you're racin'! :)

I don't see that all, actually just the opposite. The general attitude seems to be keep it simple & keep it basically stock. There is far more fun & excitement for ALL when the boats are closely matched in speed & handling. Yes on any given day the slowest boat can win but it is far more exciting & you will keep more involved if every boat that hits the water has an equal chance at winning. Someone having a boat that only wins occasionally thru attrition will not be around for very long, seen that played out many, many times. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
You know,... I'm just glad to see so much attention being given to something that your average RC'r can afford. I love this hobby but I've been struggling to stay in for years do to the cost. I recieved my vegas hull. Couldn't afford a new one so it's not a stock boat. I'm going to run a .12 in it. (imagine that) It doesn't have the fins with the boat. I'm going to make the TE of those sponsons RAZOR sharp! Slap on a y535 see what happens...

Preston hit it square on the head. This should be kept at a Club Level and if it grows over the years to where it needs to be looked at as a National Class, we will have enough experience with these hulls to know what limitations to place on the Class('s). Jerry D started the ball rolling already in his post above. Just look at whats needed within your Club and start racing some RTR's. Experiment and report back how things are going!

I think I can honestly say I second that Scott. If anything I think this thread shows that there is a interest and that it is a matter of what is popular in your area. keeping it at the club level creating your own rules to fit your area. advertise the class in your flyer that you have RTR interest in your area and stipulate the rules for your race.

perhaps from this thread clubs can get some suggestions on how to set their own rules.

Personally I like the rules Jerry mentioned.

Too many different RTRs to fit them all under one umbrella.

I hope if anything clubs see the potential of creating growth and member retention through simple, low cost racing classes and take action. we could make all the rules we wanted to but that won't mean the class will be promoted.

Here is a simple rule for you.

"Just do it"

Kelly Miller

Racing the vegas on a short track is a lot of fun. If you have not done it you should.

In the words of Forrest Gump "that's all I have to say about that"

Latest posts

Back