Rossi Engine ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philmunsterman

Guys,

I picked up this Rossi .21 (I think) from a friend. I don't know much about it. Seems in great shape. Would this be a decent motor for my 20 Mono ? I need a few parts, Header, Exhaust Gasket, O-Rings for the carb. Who has parts ? Thanks Phil

rossi21_zps7e31f611.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A/A engines are not the same as Rossi engines. Rossi makes a very nice engine. They require Rossi parts.

Al Hobbs

That engine evolved from the Rossi Pixy engines,.. pixy may have been just the .12 but I think a .21 also.. They were very good engines an in fact, the pixy 12 was the best motor I ever ran in a .12 rigger.. should be real nice if the P/L and Rod are in good shape..

That engine evolved from the Rossi Pixy engines,.. pixy may have been just the .12 but I think a .21 also.. They were very good engines an in fact, the pixy 12 was the best motor I ever ran in a .12 rigger.. should be real nice if the P/L and Rod are in good shape..
Don't think they made a .21 Pixy, but you're right. It does resemble the Pixy, and the Pixy is (was) a great .12 engine. Phil's engine is either a Piranha or a Niagara. I think the Niagara had a gold coloured head, so I think Timothy is right. Don't think there was very much difference between the Piranha and the Niagara. They also did a Maranello, which was again very similar, but the case was red instead of black. I think some of the porting and timing numbers may have been slightly different between the Niagara / Piranha / Maranello, but fundamentally, I think, very similar.

Hi

yes, the black case .21 is the "piranha" model, sold by rossi about ten years ago in marine version

I used to test in a mono21 the red case "maralello": pretty good engine, similar to the piranha

- but slightly lower in performance I think compared to NR or RB counterparts

anyway they are good and very nicely manufactured engines

regards - GL

I had the Niagra version, all basically the same. Really good, fast engines but do require a lot of break-in as it could take a gallon or more to see it's full potential. I had one in a Speedmaster 21 and it did very well up against the MAC's and Rossi's. Once broken in, it'll spin a Prather 220 or X-442 but you may have to work your way up as you go through the fuel. A NR header will fit but it's tight as I didn't like the one that came with mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know what size fittings the cooling head is tapped for ? Seems metric. Where can I buy a few fittings ? Thanka

Latest posts

Back