rookie scale hydro building questions

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chas terrell

Ok I'm building my 1st scale its a aeromarine miss Budweiser turbine hydro (91-92 replica?)its about 60% finished I'm stuck on the dummy turbine housing I dont like the one they supplied with kit I want a more authenticate looking one would thin sheet metal riveted together be good to do it with???? Any advice would be much appreciate.

I made one from a dryer exhaust duct that I bought at home depot. I cut the sheet metal loose from the exhaust vent, figured the circumference and length I wanted and then bent opposite flanges on each side so they would grab one another, then pop riveted together. it is fairly simple to make and cheap, and it looks very nice. The sheetmetal is very thin aluminum.

I made one from a dryer exhaust duct that I bought at home depot. I cut the sheet metal loose from the exhaust vent, figured the circumference and length I wanted and then bent opposite flanges on each side so they would grab one another, then pop riveted together. it is fairly simple to make and cheap, and it looks very nice. The sheetmetal is very thin aluminum.
That sounds like a pretty good idea... sheet metal was just the 1st thing that came to mind I didnt really wanna use it because it wasn't shiny enough , but if I recall correctly the dryer duct has a nice lil shine to it..

Last edited by a moderator:
Chas, I've made a couple from aluminum flashing stock (roll).

You could always polish the aluminum sheet before you roll it.
Wow, that looks GOOD and seems to be super simple to construct. how did you band it together I see the three bands. Are they thin stripes with a fastener attached at the base or are they just for show?

Rick

I was thinking of something similar with the factory supplied housing, but would prefer real metal.

Chas, I've made a couple from aluminum flashing stock (roll).

You could always polish the aluminum sheet before you roll it.
Wow, that looks GOOD and seems to be super simple to construct. how did you band it together I see the three bands. Are they thin stripes with a fastener attached at the base or are they just for show?
They are there (bands) to look like the real boat, just used a small pop rivet to hold together, they can also be tapered if that is how your design is.

Make a trial (template) out of paper until you get just the way you want it, even the angle cut at the rear end can be cut in your template, much easier than trying to cut the aluminum when rolled.

Charles

I been to that site before and seen those but neither dummy housings mimic my scale correctly. Thanks tho.

Awh shes a beauty for sure...yeah joe I will make the templates 1st for sure. The rear support brackets look really similar to your thanks for the nice pics too!! Puts it into clear perspective for me .

BEAUTIFUL ATLAS BOAT Joe, I hope sometime soon to have my 82 finished. Feels like I have been working on it forever.

WOW JOE, if mine looks half that good when finished I'd be tickled pink. Any chance you would have pics of the inside showing radio box set up, hardware setup and such. What kits or hull manufacture are they ? You can send all you have to my e mail address

[email protected] , Thanks, Mark.

The AVL boats are the only ones for me.

Well just finish doing the dummy turbine for my bud. Its not the best job, but patience begun to wear THIN after few dozen attempts.

20130104_131725.jpg

20130104_131628.jpg

20130104_131642.jpg

20130104_131802.jpg

Back