Rigger sponson angles and sizes.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ozzy,

Well how about making the ride pad a higher angle of attack? I saw this on one of your boats once.

Why would stepping the width increase aero lift if the sponsons were the standard width forward of the step?

Ian.

And what about taking other measures to counteract the aerodynamic lift??? And what do those funny after-planes do on front sponsons??? hehehehe

Stepped front sponsons... now there is another idea... I have an old set of Stinger sponsons with a step and narrower ride pad after the step... been meaning to try them out someday...

and of course there is the variable attack setup on the 4th channel... high angle to get on plane then trim her down for the pace... :)

EMS Racing engineers degree required

Ian

High angle of atack on the ride pad inconclusive at this time to many other things to try.

Tim

more dihedral more stability in rough water but more drag .

EMS

Will make it to complacated to repeat try to keep it simple S <>@#"!!!!!!!! :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

How about a rounded outer rear sponson with a taper from front to rear. what I mean is the outer length ways edge of the sponson is rounded instead of a square edge. I know that the rear riding surface has to be finnished off square but what about the sides does this theory still apply? :p

Jaso...you want a sharp edge for the water to break from the sponson. A rounded edge allows water to creep up the surface...the more it creeps, the more drag it creates.

To get rid of the catch 22 it would seem to me you need to have active front sponsons.

Something needs to change from launch to top speed.

What would that be?

How would we do it?

-MikeP

Like a third channel controlled trap door in the front third of the sponson surface to vent the ram air?

Propjockey Racing......I need more sleep! :-

Lets say you had a vent door, instead of a servo it could be operated by air pressure. The tension on the door could be adjustable.

-MikeP

Sleep, whats that?

But at slower speeds, the water would force it open. Ram water has much greater force than ram air.

The device has yet to be created, the theory is can lift be disapated when a disired amount has been reached. ???

-MikeP

Oh, sleep is for people with real jobs.

Hey Guy's

What about adding a strake on the ride pad, shown in white, Straight line stability, less drag, adds lift, compensated with AOA change.

Gene ;D

And what do those funny after-planes do on front sponsons??? hehehehe
I was wondering when that one was going to come up! goes back to Hovercraft design. That design generates lift. Good old discovery channel!

Craig,

Those funny afterplanes you see on some sponsons would have a dual use. To tidy up the airflow at the back of ths sponson for less drag, but as you suggest to control airflow over the top of sponson and stop it from creating lift when the air flows down the back of the sponson.

I dont have a moving ground plane wind tunnel or CFD software to prove it, but at high speed I think most of the lift would come from air being squeezed out from the riding surface. This air cant flow under the sponson (unless it is out of the water) so has to spill out the sides, which would create a high pressure area under the sponsons. I think this airflow is critical for high speed stability, but I have no way of investigating it!! :-

Mike,

I have had an idea for a while for a passive system to control lift. Imagine a rigger with a large angle of attack, say 5 degrees on the front sponsons. But there is no rear sponson tube, the sponsons pivot at teh front sponson boom and a coil-over damper from a car is used to hold the sponson in place. At high speed in calm water the lift gets high and angle of attack goes up, but if it hits a wave the sponson deflects and the angle of attack decreases.

The problem with such a system is weight and stiffness. It would be tricky to set up the sponsons so that they would pivot in the required manner, yet be stiff enough that they wouldn't flex to much in turns. Hmmmm.... :-

Nitrocrazed racing: Too much spare time....

Nitrocrazed,

I can picture that. Inboard coil over shock one for each side. Swaybar for the corners.

Could adjustment of the angle of attack be ideal for all conditions.

-MikeP

Mike,

Thinking about it some more I think it would be better with a single shock and the sponsons linked so they pivot together (mono-shock front end! :p ). I doubt an independant system would be worth the trouble and the monoshock system would be lighter mechanically. Or if a pultruded carbon sponson boom is used it may have enough twist to give a little bit of idependant movement!

Getting the damping right would be hard! :-

Ian.

Back