Sponson design questions

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCHedOff

I'm curious about sponsons - for something so seemingly simple, it is clear from all the reading I've done that they ARENT. I want to learn more.

1) A guy once asked Rod G a question but the answer was never posted (Rod said to call him) about the "heel" (the lower, back edge) of a sponson. The question was about adding some angle or rake on the "heel" towards the tub.... anotherwords having the outer corner shorter than the inner corner if measured from the front of the sponson. I got a square out on my Hallam rigger and to my suprise, discovered there is a very small rake to the outside edge (the outside corner is farther back than the inside corner of the "heel") - I had thought it was 90* and perpendicular to the tub! Why is this? Does it make the water roll off to the outside corner of the sponson and add stability? :huh: What does adding more rake/angle to the outside corner do?

2) Why are the sponsons front edge flat relative to water surface (horizontal axis)? Why dont they come to a true point both horizontally and vertically? Is it to catch air and drive it down the underside of the sponson to tyhe bottom to create lift on the front? :huh:

3) Why is the outside surface of a sponson composed of 2 pieces attached at an angle (when you view it lengthwise). What is the purpose of the angle? What does more angle and less angle do? For that matter why not a flat vertical surface like it is on the inside and back? Chris Wood explained to me that the reason a heel of a sponson is angled vertically is to create lift.... so why isnt the outside of the sponson a single flat vertical surface like the rear is (either angled in for lift or angled out for downforce)?

I KNOW there are reasons for all this, but lacking and engineering/physics degree I dont understand the "why's" and what makes for optimum performance.

Wow...a LOT of good reading. None of which I really understand. I came here looking for the shapes of sponsons and which one might be the best for a "different" application.

You see, I run air-propped boats, Flat bottom and more recently 3-pt hydro, air propped boats. I like the large scale, (40+ inches) I know there is more to be had from my boat of choice. Currently I have one that will do 47MPH, slow, huh? Remember it is 42" long, 12-13 Lbs running a 23cc nitro airplane engine.

The best way to explain how it runs is to show a video of it.

At the 4 min mark, you can see the shape of the hull from the bottom side......The boat did a barrel roll and landed right side up and kept going. The first 30 seconds is my Wife and I taking a ride in the full size RC retrieval airboat. LOL

click black bar for larger pic.....click pic for video.

Thoughts on how to improve the hull would be appreciated.

Back