Rigger Radio Box Cover

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Norris

Is there any reason why almost all Riggers have a Plywood radio box cover? I want to use a Lexan Cover on a boat I am Refurbishing but I figured I'd ask first in case there is any problem with using Lexan.

Thanks

Is there any reason why almost all Riggers have a Plywood radio box cover? I want to use a Lexan Cover on a boat I am Refurbishing but I figured I'd ask first in case there is any problem with using Lexan.
Thanks
I use Lexan on all my Radio Box Lids. No problems to date.

Robert

Thanks
No there is no problem with Lexan. I have used it in the past with no issues.

-Buck-

Thanks
Just use a lid that is tinted as a clear lid under sunlight magnifies the heat & can create condensation into the box. Keep in mind that wood flexes, plastics tend to crack and do you think that tub is totally rigid as the boat runs? Also that clear or even translucent lid won't look so good anymore the first time fuel hits it. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Scooter...........The Lexan will work fine. If you want color. Get the candyapple spray paint in a tin.

Lightly coat the inside and them was it out when it drys. You will have a transluent but colored

finish.

Thanks
Just use a lid that is tinted as a clear lid under sunlight magnifies the heat & can create condensation into the box. Keep in mind that wood flexes, plastics tend to crack and do you think that tub is totally rigid as the boat runs? Also that clear or even translucent lid won't look so good anymore the first time fuel hits it. ;)

Don has covered most of the things to consider. Also the pipe will mount here also, needs to be strong material,

and lexan has cracked at holes on me before. Try carbon fiber, have had good results.

Dead on about the flexing, condensation and cracking. Use a thick enough one, color coat the interior (bottom) side, and reinforce the pipe mount area if you use the lid for the mount. Then, make a spare one just in case. I have spares for all of mine and have had to use several after a misguided boat hit my boat and tore my lid off.

Scott, Mcmaster-Carr sells fluorescent sheets in red, blue, green and yellow. Used them for years with no problem. I personnally stay away from mounting the tune pipe bracket on the radio box lid. Ray B) B)

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm not putting the pipe mount on the lid. I just like to be able to check the water level in my radio box from time to time without having to remove the lid. :p :lol:

Just install a dipstick!!!! LOL Sorry, couldn't resist.

Have a good one!

Steve

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm not putting the pipe mount on the lid. I just like to be able to check the water level in my radio box from time to time without having to remove the lid. :p :lol:

Just install a dipstick!!!! LOL Sorry, couldn't resist.
Have a good one!

Steve

if you go the dipstick route, i would recommend a drain pug, also. wait a minute, install AUTOBAILERS-problem solved :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks
The rest of the boat is wood????? it looks good and if you put a doubler recessed about 1/2 ' inside of the perimeter on the inside it wont warp and is very durable .......don"t really need to see inside for any reason !!

Lexan and plastic type radio box lids are a bad idea. After 30 years of hydro running, GAROLITE is the best!!!!!!! Not my idea but learned it from Stu Barr. It can be found in McMaster-Carr page 2885. Gary

The polycarbonates always seem to haze over if you get raw fuel on them. If you want it colored and trick then get some Rit dye and hot water (almost boiling). The longer you leave it in the water the darker it gets. You can die your fuel line and any nylon products as well.

Latest posts

Back