rigger performance

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve, We talked at lake, the boat was hooking coming out of the turn. Make sure that rudder servo is good. Test with taking some rudder throw out. I think your over steering the boat coming out of the corner. MHO Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
steve, i live north of winchester, and work in leesburg. where do you run/practice around here? i'd like to find people to run with in the area. seems like there are VERY few rc boaters west of fairfax area. you are the only one i have seen that listed a location close to me.

what makes a rigger wanna hook in the corners? I am referring to a large rigger, (gas)
In addition to the above do not forget...

Poor sponson design.

Round corners on the botom and/or sides of the sponsons

Paint on the botom of the sponsons

Bernoulli's Principle

Last edited by a moderator:
steve, i live north of winchester, and work in leesburg. where do you run/practice around here? i'd like to find people to run with in the area. seems like there are VERY few rc boaters west of fairfax area. you are the only one i have seen that listed a location close to me.

sorry for the delay in repling, our local rc boat club is Capitol RC Model Boat Club. We don't have a pond to run on a the moment but hopefully that will change. www.capitolrc.com

send me a message so we can chat offline.

Steve, We talked at lake, the boat was hooking coming out of the turn. Make sure that rudder servo is good. Test with taking some rudder throw out. I think your over steering the boat coming out of the corner. MHO Ray

It was nice to meet you Ray. I'm sure I was over steering some , but they high lifting prop I had on the boat might be an issue too. I also had the boat set real flat and wet.

i really really need a tuning weekend.

Throw the boat into the trash can and put that quickdraw in one of Ralph's/ Don's new riggers that Don just kicked everyones a$$ with at the last race. Don won the nationals a lot of years ago with a gas engine and a roadrunner 90 hull, and just re-visited the boat that worked back then. Hey, it still works even with the powerfull engines we have today. Ralph will be building them, so you can buy one that works or you can continue to experiment. It's up to you. But, major boat mods will be needed to make the boat work like you want it. I saw it run. I have run others like it. Let it Go!!!!!!!!!!

That's awesome.. :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm sure there's a sweet spot for this boat. But Don's boat looked very smooth. Ofcourse some of that is driving.

Hi , my gas rigger was doing the same thing - after changing the setup a bit

i found that the rudder blade was angled slighty backward (as the boat was running ) and as the boat was in the turn the rudder was lifting the rear of the boat and wetting the front sponsons too much - even the slightest steering input made it dart like crazy - angled the blade foward and all problems solved

Hope that all makes sense

Andrew

Hi , my gas rigger was doing the same thing - after changing the setup a bit

i found that the rudder blade was angled slighty backward (as the boat was running ) and as the boat was in the turn the rudder was lifting the rear of the boat and wetting the front sponsons too much - even the slightest steering input made it dart like crazy - angled the blade foward and all problems solved

Andrew

Hi , my gas rigger was doing the same thing - after changing the setup a bit i found that the rudder blade was angled slighty backward (as the boat was running ) and as the boat was in the turn the rudder was lifting the rear of the boat and wetting the front sponsons too much - even the slightest steering input made it dart like crazy - angled the blade foward and all problems solved

Andrew

Thanks, I'll make note of that.

I made a few minor changes, added 1 more washer on right front, added a new rudder blade (3/16" longer thanks Don), changed the prop to a 2167/3 from JB. The boat handled alot better this time.

Back