Rigger do's and don'ts

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryConrad

If we ever get open water up here in the frozen "land of lakes" I will get a chance to run my first rigger. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have only run 3.5 and 7.5 tunnels before. The boat is a CMDI Eagle SG 45.

Thanks Larry

larry,

best advise i could give you is 2 things.

1. take your time.. these boats react turn and perform TOTALLY different then tunnels monos just like others perform differently.

don't worry about top speed right now.. make sure everything works properly and work on driving and setup.. once you get that speed will come next. work on driving bouy's if you have them set out on your course. practice milling the course. along the way watch the boat, see what it does if you feel like you want to make changes.

one important thing if you don't already is to learn to look ahead.. specially with a hydro.. things happen faster than most other boats.. i learned that along time ago with cars.

2. make sure you have a good person to launch and help you.. to many times i see people struggle with hydro's because they try to run the radio and launch the boat themselves.. to much work and you fight it more than anything.

welcome to hydro's. the hardest and my opinon most fun boats of all.

chris

p.s. i am totally with you on the weather lol...

If a boat goes dead in front of you and you have no option than to run it over, turn hard left. The boat will stop within 10' or so. I have used this twice to save others and my boats. Stuff happens fast with riggers especially if your are running with others that are not within 15 mph of you.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
If we ever get open water up here in the frozen "land of lakes" I will get a chance to run my first rigger. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have only run 3.5 and 7.5 tunnels before. The boat is a CMDI Eagle SG 45.Thanks Larry
Get yourself a flat table and start documenting what you have for set up. Props,pipe lengths,angles,weights, offsets,etc. Keep a good and accurate notebook,you won't regret it.

Ron Jr

Great advice so far , the SG requires very little rudder throw to turn very sharply . I advise contacting CMDI for their setup booklet , it's a nice one . Run the props they tell you as well . Let'er Rip ! :)

If we ever get open water up here in the frozen "land of lakes" I will get a chance to run my first rigger. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have only run 3.5 and 7.5 tunnels before. The boat is a CMDI Eagle SG 45.Thanks Larry
Get yourself a flat table and start documenting what you have for set up. Props,pipe lengths,angles,weights, offsets,etc. Keep a good and accurate notebook,you won't regret it.

Ron Jr
Ron ya beat me to it!! This is THE KEY to consistency with running riggers and should be in big bold letters. And once you have the boat where you want it things don't stop there. You should periodically re-check the boat settings as things do change and definitely check it over carefully after a buoy hit or bad spill even if you think it's ok. Think of it this way, 'glass hulls like cats, monos & tunnels are NASCAR, pretty much rough and tumble roundy rounders. Outriggers are like open wheel race cars, fast & exotic with things being much more critical but when you're on there is no substitute. Welcome to the formula 1 class of boat racing. B)

Ron Jr
Ron does it right. His boats always run good. But I just saw a picture of him in a magazine that he plays hockey. They call themselves the Motorheads. I never knew. Cool!

Mark

Keep the running surfaces, propeller, turn fin, etc. sharp as a razor.

Don't launch it upside down, it'll go nowhere fast. :D

When you've got a choice of props, select one on the small end. This will limit your speed and will be easier to get running than a bigger one that requires precise pipe length, fuel mixture, etc.

Don't launch it upside down, it'll go nowhere fast. :D
When you've got a choice of props, select one on the small end. This will limit your speed and will be easier to get running than a bigger one that requires precise pipe length, fuel mixture, etc.
Also dont pull a Billy and start it backwards Not cool seeing your boat coming back at you OH AND GET A SET OF DEPENDS YOU MIGHT NEED THEM this from a pit man heck I thought I might

GOOD LUCK

Gavin :eek: :eek: :D :D :D

Speed is good almost better than sex :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

Great advice so far , the SG requires very little rudder throw to turn very sharply . I advise contacting CMDI for their setup booklet , it's a nice one . Run the props they tell you as well . Let'er Rip ! :)
I got a copy of the setup book from Terry Flynn... Thanks Terry.

I have the boat set up to the specs in the book, and have two different props to run a 1457 that came with the boat and a 1655 I got from Mark Sholund with 4.29" of cup.

larry,
best advise i could give you is 2 things.

1. take your time.. these boats react turn and perform TOTALLY different then tunnels monos just like others perform differently.

don't worry about top speed right now.. make sure everything works properly and work on driving and setup.. once you get that speed will come next. work on driving bouy's if you have them set out on your course. practice milling the course. along the way watch the boat, see what it does if you feel like you want to make changes.

one important thing if you don't already is to learn to look ahead.. specially with a hydro.. things happen faster than most other boats.. i learned that along time ago with cars.

2. make sure you have a good person to launch and help you.. to many times i see people struggle with hydro's because they try to run the radio and launch the boat themselves.. to much work and you fight it more than anything.

welcome to hydro's. the hardest and my opinon most fun boats of all.

chris

p.s. i am totally with you on the weather lol...
Chris,

I am bringing it with me to the Quad Cities race in June...there should be some experienced rigger pilots there. I don't plan on racing it this year...just learning how to run it safely.

Larry

I have the boat set up to the specs in the book, and have two different props to run a 1457 that came with the boat and a 1655 I got from Mark Sholund with 4.29" of cup.
Ths 1457 will be a good place to start if it doesn't have too much cup.

Save the 1655 for later.

Save the 1655 for later.
Andy,

How do you measure the amount of cup?

Save the 1655 for later.
Andy,

with a top quality prop gauge. click on the link below

Save the 1655 for later.
Andy,

Do you measure out toward the tips of the blade to get the cup measurement?

Save the 1655 for later.
Andy,

Do you measure out toward the tips of the blade to get the cup measurement?

yes

Save the 1655 for later.

Andy,

About 70% out from the hub and starting at the trailing edge.

Back