Replacment .18 for MV

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The two boats that Kieth is talking about both have stock AQ 18 motors except for having the recoils removed and a OS back plate put on. This was a point that these two boat owners talked about ( one is myself) and that is that we know that more performance can be had with hull mods. prop work and balance. Our district claimer rule was put there to try and stop people from going out and buying $350.00 engines. Right now these boats race well together at the price of about $350.00. I have lots of boats over the $1000.00 mark $600.00 in the engine and pipe alone. This class was Intended to let new racers run a boat on a compettitive level with experienced racer on a level playing field. If you feel the need to start cutting engines or buying expensive power plants for that extra 3 MPH feel free. WE WILL CLAIM YOUR WORK. My suggestion is you feel the need to go faster then build a boat in a different class like a hydro or sport 40. Mod 18 is a drivers class like A stock tunnel thats why I enjoy it so much. Greg

The two boats that Kieth is talking about both have stock AQ 18 motors except for having the recoils removed and a OS back plate put on. This was a point that these two boat owners talked about ( one is myself) and that is that we know that more performance can be had with hull mods. prop work and balance. Our district claimer rule was put there to try and stop people from going out and buying $350.00 engines. Right now these boats race well together at the price of about $350.00. I have lots of boats over the $1000.00 mark $600.00 in the engine and pipe alone. This class was Intended to let new racers run a boat on a compettitive level with experienced racer on a level playing field. If you feel the need to start cutting engines or buying expensive power plants for that extra 3 MPH feel free. WE WILL CLAIM YOUR WORK. My suggestion is you feel the need to go faster then build a boat in a different class like a hydro or sport 40. Mod 18 is a drivers class like A stock tunnel thats why I enjoy it so much. Greg
Hi Greg I have 135.00 total in the engine, don't forget your money my friend, I will have mine. This should be a good race I think. See you at the races.

Let the fun begin. Keith

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I would have a hard time running a $100 engine, with a $100 worth of mods done to it, in a $100 claimer class... Folks would be idiots to NOT claim the motor for $100. I wonder how many folks dont race due to the "claimer" rule.
Sean

I don't understand the claimer rule??? If I buy an engine and spend hours modding then who ever loses can take my engine. Maybe the rule should be no engines with a market value higher than 100.00. I think that would be better than some one being able to take your hard work. That way the losers will learn to mod their own engines. I won't be racing in any RTR classes with the claimer rule.

Travis
Claimer rules are written into stock classes where a specific engine, or perhaps a maximum price for an engine, is specified. To be blunt, if someone ran in such a class and spent hours modding the engine, they deserve to have someone take it from you for little more than the cost of an engine.

There is nothing in the rules that states I have to run this engine in every heat race. So if I run it in three heats and change it out before the final I guess I won't lose the engine to a claim since the claim isn't in effect till after the finish or the final race. Oh I just pulled a rabbit out of the hat or did I just find a loop hole in the rules.
I can only speak for my club. If someone was competing in a stock class with a claimer rule and resorted to such antics, they might find themself no longer welcome at our pond. Stock classes are supposed to be about leveling the engine playing field, not looking for loopholes in the rules that allow one to get away with cheating.

I think I would have a hard time running a $100 engine, with a $100 worth of mods done to it, in a $100 claimer class... Folks would be idiots to NOT claim the motor for $100. I wonder how many folks dont race due to the "claimer" rule.
Sean

I don't understand the claimer rule??? If I buy an engine and spend hours modding then who ever loses can take my engine. Maybe the rule should be no engines with a market value higher than 100.00. I think that would be better than some one being able to take your hard work. That way the losers will learn to mod their own engines. I won't be racing in any RTR classes with the claimer rule.

Travis
Claimer rules are written into stock classes where a specific engine, or perhaps a maximum price for an engine, is specified. To be blunt, if someone ran in such a class and spent hours modding the engine, they deserve to have someone take it from you for little more than the cost of an engine.
If you look up piper, you will see that they are modding the hulls etc...this would NOT be a stock class where I run at...in STOCK, you can't modify the running surface of the hull (other than sanding). So they are already running what we would call a modified class.

Where we run at, you have to run a stock OEM engine in the stock class...this solves any drama that would be brought on by a claimer rule. So you have a stock class, and a modified class. If you want to run the stock motor, run in the stock class...no need for a claimer rule.

With a stock class like ours...you don't need to know anything about modding an engine...modding the hull...or anything else. You buy a box stock MV...break it in, get it tuned, and you are competetive with everyone else. THIS is what the RTR class should be all about. If they allowing hull mods in the stock RTR class, they would actually hurt the intent of the class...that is, to get new people out there, with minimal knowledge and minimal money to race competetively...bring new blood into the hobby.

Our district claimer rule was put there to try and stop people from going out and buying $350.00 engines.
Personally, I don't know of any $350 .18 marine engines...????

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
The intent of the mod class was to try inprove performance without doing expensive engine mods. I'm not going to comment on this thread anymore. I'll just go to the race with my boat and C note. I may claim a engine but probably wouldn't run it. I'll let the chips fall where they may, It's not that big of a deal to me. Greg

The intent of the mod class was to try inprove performance without doing expensive engine mods. I'm not going to comment on this thread anymore. I'll just go to the race with my boat and C note. I may claim a engine but probably wouldn't run it. I'll let the chips fall where they may, It's not that big of a deal to me. Greg
Come on Greg this is fun. I really didn't spend a bunch of money on the GO to make it run the way it does. Its not a big deal to me either. I just thought I would share what I was able to do with that engine. I've heard nothing really good about it till I modified one and now it's the talk of the town. You can't call 60.00 of mods alot of money. I consider you a friend Greg and I enjoy racing with you. I have learned alot from watching and listening to you. I appreciate all your help. See you at the races.

Keith

Ok I'm getting kind of lost with this claimer rule?? Tell me if I'm getting this wright? No mods to the motors on the RTR's,wright? this is set up to keep some guys from cheating/doing mods to the motors on the RTR's? So theres a claimer to the mod classs too?? I'd thought Mods mean to moditfied your boat to the tilt?

Back