Repairing Cracks

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Johnstone

Hi all,

I am looking at repairing some cracks in one of my Fibreglass boats, what is the best way to go about doing this?

repair 001.JPG

repair 002.JPG

repair 003.JPG

repair 004.JPG

Hi,

Your pictures showed what appeared to be crackings in the gel coat. This is what I do to repair gel coat cracks.

1. Wash the entire boat with soap and wipe with a compatible solvent to remove any oil,

2. Use a Dremel with a fine bit (not a cutting bit, it is too coarse) like a diamond grinding bit, open up the cracks to about 1/16" to 1/8". I try not to cut into the glass underneath.

3. I learned this tip from this forum and it is very important: Where the crack terminates, make a larger diameter hole like 1/8 to 3/16". I have found that it is not necessary to drill the hole through the glass. A rounded area in the gel coat will work. This serve to distribute the stress so that the crack will not propagate. A forum member suggested this tip and it is very useful.

4. Fill the crack with either Bondo, or a mixture of micro ballons and resin. I have tried using a color matched gel coat to fill the crack. It work somewhat OK but I cannot make the repair invisible without repainting.

5. Block sand, prime and touch up paint.

I have repaired a few boats and the crack has not reappeared, yet.

kez

#3 the practice of stop drilling is to prevent cracks from spreading. Does not matter if you drill all the way thru the glass or not. It is much harder for a crack to cointinue from a radius.The drill needs to be no larger than 1/8" but you do need to know where the crack terminates.to be sucessfull.

Back