Repair work needed

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Wiebelhaus

Supporting Member
I need help, picked up some spare parts, 2 crankcases had problems, #1 had a bolt broken off in the case, #2 appeared to have a heli-coil insert and a tap snapped off inside.

I need someone with the expertise to remove these head bolt & tap.

I tried to slot the one head bolt but it didnt work, and dont know what to do with the tap problem.

So I figure I have 2 options, get these problems fixed, or rotate and re-drill the head bolts, I need someone to do this for me.

see pics

Joe, Taps are hard or harder than drill bits but good machine shops should have an EDM(electrical discharge machining). This will burn out the broken tap and allow you to clean out the threads.There is usually not enough room to put a helicoil in a rc motor but using taps on helicoils is like chinese handcuffs. The tap will bind in the helicoil and break almost every time.

Glenn

I need help, picked up some spare parts, 2 crankcases had problems, #1 had a bolt broken off in the case, #2 appeared to have a heli-coil insert and a tap snapped off inside.

I tried to slot the one head bolt but it didnt work, and dont know what to do with the tap problem.

So I figure I have 2 options, get these problems fixed, or rotate and re-drill the head bolts, I need someone to do this for me.

see pics
Joe..... Are those Picco EXR 67 crankcases? I have several.....

see pics
Joe;

There is a tool called a tap extractor, four fingers that go down the clean outs of the tap, and used to back it out

http://www.google.com/search?q=tap+extractor&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=UGyeUMb0H4nD2QXvlYDYCA&sqi=2&ved=0CGcQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=746

see pics
Joe..... Are those Picco EXR 67 crankcases? I have several.....
Joe, yes, Picco 67 exr cases, they are good except for the bolt problems, I have many others (40) complete engines of this type.

see pics
Joe;

There is a tool called a tap extractor, four fingers that go down the clean outs of the tap, and used to back it out

http://www.google.co...iw=1440&bih=746
I've screwed this up a couple of other times, that's why I'm looking for someone with the expertise and tools.

Joe if you want to ship them to me I will put them in our EDM at work and burn them out.

PM me if I can help.

Tim

You can also use a solution of ph down(for pools) and water for broken taps or screws in aluminum. Touch a piece of copper wire to the screw or tap while immersed in the solution to speed things along. It does etch the aluminum very slightly. Takes a few hours.

I have a Picco 45 blackhead with 2 broken bolts flush with the case. Slotting them did not work. I can use some help with it too. The case is excellent condition except for that.

I have a Picco 45 blackhead with 2 broken bolts flush with the case. Slotting them did not work. I can use some help with it too. The case is excellent condition except for that.
I've done this a few times myself and had great results with hitting the top of the broken screw with a center punch. Make sure you get a good knock on it. I usually start with an automatic center punch depending on the size of the screw... After hitting the screw try to rotate it out by pushing on its outer diameter with a hobby knife. Most times they'll spin out as smooth as they went in (as long as the threads werent messed up before hand).

Brian

Contact Jim Wilson at 1-510-657-5006,Jim is on the west coast 3:00 behind us.Jim has a easy way to get them out.

Dave Roach

Last edited by a moderator:
If all else fails

One of my Picco 45s only has 5 bolts and runs with no problems . mate all the surfaces and use steel bolts not stainless. not the best idea but seems to work :)

see pics
Joe;

http://www.google.co...iw=1440&bih=746
they won't work with a tap snapped off in a helicoil, like glen said, the helicoil will grab the tap harder the more you try to turn it. never try to tap a helicoil, work the first coil loose & pull/unwind it out. then start over tapping out the hole for a new insert. something broke off in one, tim has the answer ;) .

If you have a mig welder weld a nut on it and back it out. You wont hurt the alum unless you have the welder turned up way too high

Back