Repair work needed

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can fix these problems send them to me and I'll get all the broken stuff out, no big deal. Just a word of advise, if you break off a bolt or a tap stop right there, if you don't have the equipment to get them out, all the punching and drilling will just make it worse, and a good reminder to use anti-seize next time

mike b

Last edited by a moderator:
I can fix these problems send them to me and I'll get all the broken stuff out, no big deal. Just a word of advise, if you break off a bolt or a tap stop right there, if you don't have the equipment to get them out, all the punching and drilling will just make it worse, and a good reminder to use anti-seize next time

mike b
Best advise I've seen on this topic yet. I've had to remove hundreds of broken drills, taps and easy outs after folks thought they were able to handle it on their own and they only ended up making a bad situation worse. No shame on asking for help and as you have seen It is the best option.

Just wanted to say thanks to Tim Kish for his effort to salvage 2 crankcases for me, top notch job, and even provided the proper taps to finish the job, and delivered in the mail from CA.

I owe you ... see you next spring somewhere in D-2.

Thanks Tim.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to say thanks to Tim Kish for his effort to salvage 2 crankcases for me, top notch job, and even provided the proper taps to finish the job, and delivered in the mail from CA.

Thanks Tim.
Tim's top shelf and a valuable member of our Northern Lights MBC! :)

mike b
Best advise I've seen on this topic yet. I've had to remove hundreds of broken drills, taps and easy outs after folks thought they were able to handle it on their own and they only ended up making a bad situation worse. No shame on asking for help and as you have seen It is the best option.
Mike repaired my block with the broken bolts like an expert he is. Fabulous job and none of the original threads were damaged so the same size bolts can be used. Thanks a million!!

Thanks Tim.
Just glad I could help Joe , see you in the Spring.

Thanks for the kind words Terry.

Tim

For what it is worth and slightly off topic but in the early 70's my machine shop students built their own small EDM machines using "Mallory" auto ignition component. The machines were able to burn 1/8th dia. hole in 1 inch ball bearings to build those reaction things that hung 5 ball bearings on strings. We stopped building the EDM's when we no longer could get the electronics from Mallory. That size machine would have been ideal for hobby work, it fit in a 1 foot square, used brass tubing and we did burn some broken taps out with them. Wonder if any of my old students still have one laying around, more than a 100 were built.

John

For what it is worth and slightly off topic but in the early 70's my machine shop students built their own small EDM machines using "Mallory" auto ignition component. The machines were able to burn 1/8th dia. hole in 1 inch ball bearings to build those reaction things that hung 5 ball bearings on strings. We stopped building the EDM's when we no longer could get the electronics from Mallory. That size machine would have been ideal for hobby work, it fit in a 1 foot square, used brass tubing and we did burn some broken taps out with them. Wonder if any of my old students still have one laying around, more than a 100 were built.

John
Very cool , would love to have built something like that when I was in school.

Tim

Boy i got LUCKY today. broke a 5/16" tap off in a ford 302/5.0 block repairing a broken water pump/timing cover bolt. below flush & not broken off evenly. i could get small needle nose pliers on the flutes. got a can of good ol' freon R-12' hosed it down with liqiud freon after cleaning & blowing out what chips i could. after chilling it' the tap shrunk enough to back out. wouldn't even budge prior to the freon......thank goodness for ages old tricks!

Latest posts

Back