Remote Needle ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philmunsterman

I think this is a CMB Needle. Are there different sizes ? If so how can I tell what size Engine this will work with. I need one for a 1.00.

Thanks Phil

cmbneedle.jpg

Thanks. I don't think I'll use this one but I would like to know what it is. Phil
Phil, It is a CMB inline needle..they made those in two flavors, inline and with an arm attached to the body for third channel applications., by looking at the needle taper it would appear to be for their larger engines.

It was nice talking to you today,

good luck with your new saw project.

Elias

Used about every type available over the years. BV is good. Also the Kalistrov that Al Hobbs sells is also vary good. The most important thing about the needles is to filter the fuel going into the tank and a largr filter between the tank and the needle. Keep the needle clean by flushing it out frequently.

I think this is a CMB Needle. Are there different sizes ? If so how can I tell what size Engine this will work with. I need one for a 1.00.

Thanks Phil
Phil,

Yes, CMB makes I believe three sizes, 20-4-, 67-80, and 80-101. If you had them out and on a table for comparison, you will notice the taper is more gradual and longer and you go down in engine size. The sharp taper on that needle tells me it is definitely for a big block, 80/90/101. I never liked the CMB needles for one reason only, they are very stiff to rotate. Most remote needle installations dont give you a lot of room to support the end of the flex cable near the needle, so a smoother rotation such as the Ferette or Violet I think are better for our applications.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a comparison of different needles with my BM flow meter.

found that if you wiggle the needle it changes the setting on most some more than others.

The OS in what ever base you use was the best. no variation at all real tight.

Also the BV was real good if not worn out.

The CMB was real bad new.

David

I have a ? about the bv needles,It says on his web sit that there for any engine,So would that be for 21 and up?

I have a ? about the bv needles,It says on his web sit that there for any engine,So would that be for 21 and up?
Robert,

I dont see how anyone can say they make a needle that will work for any size engine. The problem with doing this is, lets say you have a 60 sized needle, the 180 degree sweep of the arm will be perfect for a 60, but will not make a lot of difference on a 20 and way too sensitive for a 80-101. Proper third channel installation and selection is key to a winning combination.

Last edited by a moderator:
is either tidewater or champion made by Ernie LaFlure..... it is a number 2 size so its made for 45 to 90 engines!!!

Has any one rote an yhing about the insal and how to properly use one?Or is it not used in sp 20 boats.ive been serching for a while now and cant find much Thanx robert

Back