Reluctance to buy from abroad

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Nightingale

Just curious, I’ve noticed on here that a lot of Americans seem to be reluctant to buy from overseas - I don’t mean from China, I mean from Europeans etc. over here it’s not at all uncommon to buy second hand boats and parts from abroad, so what’s the thought behind it?

We in the US have most of what we need available to us here in the US so why deal with Europe shipping , customs and exchange rates. The best country for us is Australia because of a favorable exchange rate, however their shipping starts at $40 no matter what you buy.

The costs of the shipping and risk of damage or getting lost completely are just a few. Mostly cost and time it takes to get it. If we can source it domestically we will.

Just curious, I’ve noticed on here that a lot of Americans seem to be reluctant to buy from overseas - I don’t mean from China, I mean from Europeans etc. over here it’s not at all uncommon to buy second hand boats and parts from abroad, so what’s the thought behind it?
Andy, ive purchased a few items from Japan, The U.K., France, and Germany.......no problems here! Of course i try to spend as much as i can afford to here in the good ol U,S.A.!!

I live in Australia but have travelled extensively in the US. From a purely economic viewpoint the US market and economy is so large and vibrant that most (if not all) local demand for all goods and services can easily be met domesticaly without the need for extra international transport costs, tariffs or exchange rates.
Unless it is a rare product that is not made in the US or a foreign product of truly exceptional quality I can easily understand why US citizens source most of their goods locally.

Do any of you run radio controlled boats? Are there any parts of your radio system that's made in the US? What power plant do you run. As far as I know. the only nitro, gas or electric power plant parts that are US made are parts of Quickdraw engines, Neu motors and Castle speed controls. Some RC airplane race engines are still US made, but all boat nitro and gas boat engines are made outside the US. I bet nearly all the ball bearings in our engines are foreign. Our lithium polymer batteries are also all made outside the US. High tariffs and other protective measures will make our hobby much more expensive at best.

Lohring Miller

I buy stuff from tony at hobby supplies in Australia he is a cmb dealer would get back to me immediately and always had what I needed and the rates are favorable against the u.s dollar any time I ordered it came within 7 days with zero issues . And yes the minimum shipping fee is about 35 bucks .

Back