REK lower unit vs. Lawless

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed.R

Looking for pros and cons of using them compared to each other . Does anybody use the REK unit with any success , any problems with the carbon . How about a OS lower unit with a Rossi or other mod motors . Looking to build a .20 mod just researching stuff .

Thanks in advance

Ed

I have run them all, and I will say this.

The REK lower is a nice unit, i've had no real trouble with the material it is made of, except maybe a little skeg flex. The lower does cause more lift for one reason or another, but its manageable. Its light also.

The Lawless is a VERY nice product, many people use it successfully. Its not cheap, but you do get a very nice product for the money. It has the narrowest frontal area of any of the lowers Ive seen or used. Its also fairly light, and Fred now offers it tapped to accept the OS propshaft which has proven to be bullet proof. He also offers it with or without the holes at the bottom near the prop shaft housing.

The OS lower is also a very nice unit. I am in the process of mounting my Rossi to it for some testing and will know very soon how it works. A couple guys have already done this.

Another unit that we are looking into is the Hyper Prod CNC "Angle-Drive" Not much info on this one, but?

~James

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks James , How about a prop shaft for the REK unit ? What one to use and if theres a diffrent one who sells it

Thanks Ed

Hi Ed, I personally use the Grimracer/Nelsen prop shaft assembly. You can also use a K&B prop shaft. There was a slight problem of the K&B flex being a little too short, I tried to explain in the photo what we did to correct the problem. Its an easy fix with belt sander or small saw.

REKLower.jpg

~James

Yeah ... That makes sense Had to do a similar thing to one of my K&B lowers to make more clearance between the prop and water inlet tube.

Thanks for all the info

Ed

Get the propshaft assembly that Jim Irwin offers. It has about 1/8" longer bearing with the same amount of shaft protruding. I could post a picture if anyone wants to see.

Whats the best way to get a hold of him . Here on IW or else where .

ED

Ed

Jim Irwin had heart surgery a couple of weeks ago. He is on the forum though, normally.

Maybe some one else can help there.

PS I need a flex like that too. So let me know.

Ronald.

EdJim Irwin had heart surgery a couple of weeks ago. He is on the forum though, normally.

Maybe some one else can help there.

PS I need a flex like that too. So let me know.

Ronald.
I remember reading about Jims surgery . Boats are the last thing he needs to hear about . I did read a past forum about someone using an OS lower with a Mac with great success.

Good thing about that is parts can come from Tower .

Ed

Not to circumvent old Mr Irwin but I have those parts instock, I made them for him. I also have the rebuild kits for the 3.5 and 7.5 propchaft assemblies in stock. I do not have complete assemblies for the stock K&B styles at this time But I do for the Irwin Style complete.

Brian Nelsen

Looking for pros and cons of using them compared to each other . Does anybody use the REK unit with any success , any problems with the carbon . How about a OS lower unit with a Rossi or other mod motors . Looking to build a .20 mod just researching stuff .
Thanks in advance

Ed
Ed do you know who sells the rek 7.5 lower unit. Dave in CT.

Not to circumvent old Mr Irwin but I have those parts instock, I made them for him. I also have the rebuild kits for the 3.5 and 7.5 propchaft assemblies in stock. I do not have complete assemblies for the stock K&B styles at this time But I do for the Irwin Style complete.
Brian Nelsen
:D

Dave,

Sorry, but I have not gotten to the 7.5 composite lower unit yet.

Richard Konnen

James,

The lift is caused by the cavitation plate. Look at it from the side with a straight edge and you will see what I am saying.

Richard Konnen

Marty,

Well the leading edge of the cavitation plate has a slight upward drift and as you go back on the cavitation plate you have a slight downward hook of about 1/64". So it will provide a slight amount of lift. Unfortunately these are a cause of the cooling of the plastic. Truthfully you could play with the cavitation plate buy using a heat gun, warm it up and bend it to suit and dunk it in water to set it. Also there was mension of skeg flex. The first 150 I run for Jim did flex some. The ones that I been producing this past year are stiffer. Just for reference though, the aluminum K&B skegs also exhibit flex because of the type of aluminum that has to be used for casting. The Lawless I doubt does, being billet, but I have no experience with these. Also insead of shortening where the prop shaft goes, go with a longer flex shaft or if Brian is making the prop shafts longer on the inside length, not external, go that route.

Richard Konnen

Also insead of shortening where the prop shaft goes, go with a longer flex shaft or if Brian is making the prop shafts longer on the inside length, not external, go that route.Richard Konnen
If anyone is interested, I have a limited number of slightly longer flexshafts that Jim was using before the Nelson propshaft unit was completed. I will sell them at the same price as a standard K&B 3.5, $8.50 each, plus shipping, while they last. I take Visa and Master Card.

Fred Howe

Lawless Drives and Accessories

607-687-0143

Back