reinforceing abs halls

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

550Racer

i took my electric out today and ran it and i have a turn fin on it and where the fin is connected to the boat it cracked right there so now i have a nice crack in the hull any sugestions of reparing it? also to reinforce the back where the hardwhare is? thanks

Hi 550

As Paul says, plywood on the inside is best. Glue it to the plastic with thick CA glue. Epoxy does not stick very well to ABS or styrene plastic.

If you can't get inside to reinforce it than do like I do when I need to reinforce my DPI tunnel, I use thick ABS plastic you can get at your LHS. They have a brush on abs plastic clear colored glue or ZAP CA works just fine. Cut it out with scissors. They sell this white spot putty for plastic that works like bondo and is good for filling in gaps. Just sand it down to make it plush.

I'm not sure what styrne is and JB weld is too hard and unworkable. You need somethig that is somewhat durable yet sandable so you can shape it.

If you want to simply know if you can use JB weld, the answer is yes.

styrene is like abs its a plastic sheet if jb weld would stick to abs plastic then ill give it a shot.

Back