redoing a speedmaster .21

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

TomMoorehouse

Trying to get my son in to boats (i've been unsuccessful so far). I was given an old speedmaster hull. I'm trying to redo it for him. It's beat up pretty good. Lots of holes in the transom. The bottom looks to be overly sanded and has some cracks. Ive been sanding it down to get it ready. The strakes were oversanded by someone and have some shape irregularities. Looks like the hull was painted more than once.

My thought was to attach a 1/32" sheet of carbon fiber I have to the transom, and fill in the cracks as best as I can with putty or epoxy with microbaloons. Then repaint of course...

Should I worry about the overly sanded strakes? What surfaces should I make sure are sanded sharp?

Any Other Advice?

Thanks

Tom

bottom.jpg

top.jpg

IMAG0120.jpg

Tom That hull is like the one I have. What motor you have for it? As you sand on the bottom and fill cracks just square up the strakes best you can, maybe lay some masking tape along the strake and then fill the edges with some long set epoxy and filler..

Just filling the holes in the transom with epoxy would do, the graphite plate wold be nice looking if you just cleared over it.

I have the Speedmaster stinger on mine I have a 4 inch wide slanted radio box that fits nice in the boat too.

PHIL

Tom,

A tip I learned on here a while ago to fill unwanted transom holes was to drill them out a little and use appropriately sized wooden dowels glued into the holes, then cut and sand flush.

Tim

I'd do just what you said but use "colodial silica" instead of microballoons on the transom, much stronger.

And I promise I won't "jack" your Speedmaster 21 thread going off about SAW props etc. :lol:

I just tackled this problem - last week with the extra holes on my older style .21 AreoMarine. If you still have "blind Nuts" on the inside from the old holes, leave them in there and fill the holes with Epoxy(like they said) or Resin or even Bondo. Then sand smooth - primer & paint.. I left the blind-nuts in to act as reinforcement. If you use Bondo, make sure to coat over with Resin. ;)

To fill the holes in the transom, I find that it is stronger and neater to pass a drill bit of the same size (to clean up the holes)and then glue in a birch dowell to plug up the hole. You can easily size the birch dowell by chucking a section of it in a drill and then sand it down. I then sand the dowell flush.

kez

If I fill the hole in with a dowel... then need a hole right next to it..... might be an issue. I guess the ones I know will be out of the way i'll fill with a dowel and the others will be just filled... i'm having second thoughts about cf on the transome.... if it comes off i'll be in big trouble!

thanks for the advice!

tom

If you have any scrap CF cloth or tow, take a strand and wad it up into a fur ball that you soak with resin and mash into the hole with a toothpick. you can put a pirce of masking tape on the outside, and work the fiber into the hole from the inside. Stand on transom til cured. You can also used milled glass or fumed silica (cabosil), though the CF is lighter and stronger. Don't use kevlar cuase it fuzzes when you sand it.........

Last edited by a moderator:
tom, i use the dowel trick to fill unwanted holes in transoms. drilling a hole that is right next to or even overlaps the dowel not an issue. epoxy or resin & chopped glass fiber has been an issue, drill bit has always walked on me when trying to drill right on top of those type repairs. most transoms are wood cored, the drill is working in the same material ;) .

Changed my mind... I put the cf on it... I've been filling in the dents and scratches today. Maybe a coat of primer tonight.

I hate painting! I spent a ton of time preping for paint.... everything looked great. Used a can a krylon orange and planned to paint an auto clear over it..... will on my second very light coat it sagged and ran! damit.... keep painting ignore the bad spot.... 5 coats later you can still see the primer underneath! give up.... try to sand it down.... one bad spot so put a little primer on that spot and the orange paint reacted and spider webbed! insert every cuss word here! giving up again. I hoped to have it painted over this weekend..... looks like I failed! now I remember why I was trying to build plastic G-10 riggers... :eek: :angry: :(

just fill the holes with anything you have all ideas posted will work i had the same problem with my speedmaster. and after i started over by filling all holes and make new ones it works great. Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
hey julian you need to keep that boat. in my opinion its one of the best 20 monos on the market. on the other hand keep running that seaducer you think so highly of, that way i wont have to look for you ill always know your behind me :p :p :p

funny you just wait i have a brand new engine on my seaducer keep in mind i have 2 seaducer boats but its ok you did not do so well yourself buddy so yeah

i think the biggest part of my problem is that it's too cold.... ill get it primed and ready and wait till spring to try painting again.

Latest posts

Back