rechargeable batteries

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CySlyde

I was wondering if anybody has tried rechageable batteries in thier controllers? I know that NI-CD's don't paticularly like moisture, and I have heard of ppl using them in reciever packs but what about the transmitters?

any down side to using NI-MH's or NI-Cd's? I already have 12 NI-MH's so if they would be better to use let me know over alkiline for any reasons other than rechargeability please let me know.

-wish i had thought about these for other than the camera duing the fun run

I use nicads in my transmitters and reciever packs with no problems. They dont last quite as long as alkaline or non rechargeables but they are som much easier.

~ James

Hey Cy,

The only real downside is when the batteries dump they do it quickly. Even though I have several sets of Nimh for TXs I still prefer to use alkalines, just for piece of mind.

Paul.

i guess that leads to the question of how long can i reasonably expect a set of batteries last? then about how much less would a set of rechargeables last @ full charge?

i was thinking it would be something where i would drain and charge them the night before so that i would have no questions on thier charge or lasting ability.

Right now my choice in rechargables is NiMh. They are good for about 500 cycles, size for size (IE AA or AAA cells) they have almost twice the capacity (my AAA packs are 750ma), they will take a fast charge if you are careful with them, and they DO NOT have the memory problem as do NiCD cells, so... you can "top them off" after every run if you want and not hurt them. The only down side I've encountered is you must have a charging system specific for NiMh cells. NiCd chargers like the one that comes with most R/C systems will ruin them (I found out the hard way). Also it is worth it to only buy the "expensice" brands such as Sony, not Radio Shack. : :)

well, a while back when i was strapped, i did the "poorman's recharge". lol, i would recharge my duracell/energizer alkalines 3 to 4 times before buying new ones. it worked fine for me using a wall charger overnight, but the cell's capacity would diminish with each recharge. but rechargeable AA's are much more affordable these days.

you gotta love ebay, a zillion AA nicd and nimh to choose from cheap-

quick example- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=29995

here's some info regarding nicd vs. nimh-

http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com/

i prefer sanyos, they're worth the extra $ in longevity. also, a peak charger that can charge from 1 to 8 or more nicd/nimh cells is money very well spent. be sure its charge amperage can be adjusted to 500 mah or less for smaller capacity nimh cells. overheating will kill nimh cells.

I use NMH on everything. Only problem I have found is do not leave them on trickle charge, they will discharge., as soon at they are charge pul;led them off the charger. But in storage they holds the charge a long long, time

well, a while back when i was strapped, i did the "poorman's recharge". lol, i would recharge my duracell/energizer alkalines 3 to 4 times before buying new ones. it worked fine for me using a wall charger overnight, but the cell's capacity would diminish with each recharge.
i've done this to..... yep it does work! i'm a cheap skate as well!

Hey guys,

Want cheap, new, never used NMH go to

www.allelectronics.com I've been buying batteries from those guys. Sanyo or Panasonics. Check it out.

An Alkaline battery is 1.5 volts and the Nicd and NiMh batteries are 1.2 so you get 9 volts with the alkanline and only 7.2 with the others.

An Alkaline battery is 1.5 volts and the Nicd and NiMh batteries are 1.2 so you get 9 volts with the alkanline and only 7.2 with the others.
That is why I still use Alkaline cells in my TX's. 12v verses 9.6v

5 cell sanyo NiCd RX packs (1400MaH) is all I'll use too. Last for along time.

Latest posts

Back