Radio Range Q's

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atious

I'm a sport boater not a racer and as such I like to take my boats pretty far away from my POV. I've used a JR XR3 for a while now with no problem. I have a friend who wants to hit the lake and he's looking at trying to keep his costs down. Will the Futaba 2PEKA FM radio give a decent range? I've read posts talking about radios working as far as "line of sight" but thats kind of vague. I have a 6 foot deep-vee that I can see pretty far away that I wouldnt trust to just any ol radio. Using a Commander from Ace and a remote video system I've had this boat almost a 1/2 mile off and retained good transmission clarity. Before you metion the liklyhood, Its a man-made resevious(spelling?)with little chance of losing my boat.

If you can walk about 25-30 feet away with the antenna completely collapsed, you should be able to control as long as you can see it.

Hammer

Most newer radios will control your craft farther than needed for 'average sport boating'...a 36" boat will be a tiny speck at 1/4 mile away.

The Magnum Jr. you mentioned should be fine. And the ATV will make set-up easier for a newbie. (no dis' implied) ;)

None taken, I'm actually a reasonably experienced R/Cer. Just new to Nitro boating. I've spent the last 6 years quietly building gas boats and helicoptors. The nitro aspect is limited to cars only. I am used to air radios and high-end surface systems but am trying to help a friend with choosing a good low-budget radio. My Futaba experience is limited to heli systems. The 2PEKA looks ok but then there is the Hitec 2 chanel FM(I forget its name) for around $75.00 and Airtronics has a cheaper pistol FM as well. Within this 75-150 range, what would some of you guys recommend?

Back