Radio Glitches

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heartbeat

Has anybody had this happen

New Boat, Motor, Radio, range checks normal when you crank up the engine the radio glitches bad.

Now I was running another boat with no problems, as I wanted to see my new boat run

I swaped radio systems complete with servos, same thing glitched in new boat

Can there be something in the boat causing this glitch?

BTW: when I swaped the radio back it worked fine

Thanks Mike

Are you running a flex shaft in a brass tube without a teflon liner? As I understand it, whenever there is metal to metal friction, it creates a 'radio signal'. Perhaps it could be interfering with your receiver. :(

Something to look into perhaps....

Jeff thats the only thing left, But why only on this boat?

And how can I correct it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt it is the shaft. But if the glitching happens on the stand then just take the shaft out and see what happens. Most likely you have metal on metal causing some noise. Look at pushrods and even the rudder possibly.

I know my radio glitched on the stand really bad and i found that it was my metal throttle cable that was touching my crank case. and i would pull open the throttle it would start glitching bad. All like when you use a tool and touch metal on the boat it would go crazy weather the engine was running or not.

What type of battery are you using ??? If it does it while not running then work your switch back and fourth and see if it will stop....if so,then replace that switch !!!!

Some times when you use alkaline batteries it will do this when they are new...Voltage Spikes

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to check EVERYTHING over.

Its got to be metal to metal touching. Or just a bad reciever.

Take a dremal and turn it on and hold it next to your radio box. See if it makes things GLITCH.

Take your throttle rod off engine, take out the shaft and start engine, Does it glitch. Reconnect shaft, start, does it glitch?

You need to chase the problem down, its a pain, but needs to be found.

Tom

It only glitches when running

I tried with the throttle servo disconected rudder still glitched, tried with the rudder servo disconected throttle glitched.

Bypassed switch, tried 3-4 battery packs. Even tried differant freq.

We even tried wraping the servo leads in foam

Mac 45 power (don't see what that would matter)

Thanks for all the help its got to be something stupid!

Mike

pull the pipe away from the header.don't ever get them touching or the radio will glitch, not all boats just some. all depends of the harmonic frq. it creates.Nick

Mike,

What kind of ends do you use on the linkages? Ever try plastic ones? It will

stop the glitching,and they are strong enough.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Try swapping out a known good receiver. I've seen this before turn out to be a bad solder joint on the receiver board. Not saying this is it but it's where I'd start first. If that doesn't fix it start swapping out other radio gear ONE PIECE AT A TIME. If you change more than one you'll never know what it was. I'd say do receiver first, then switch, battery pack. Does the glitching affect BOTH servos?? You may also have a bad servo. This all of course AFTER making sure there is no metal to metal contact. BTW- I've NEVER seen a flexshaft cause glitching........ :unsure:

Hi Guys!

Most antenna straws aren't long enough to use the entire length of the antenna wire..........if you have the extra length of the antenna wire wrapped around other wires or just randomly stuffed into the radio box, that can be a problem.

try to use as much of the antenna wire as possible. even if a few inches dangle out of the antenna straw. if there is still too much, try to coil it as neatly as possible.

Bob the Fool :blink:

I did try a good receiver and even put it back into my other

boat where It worked great. I changed out every piece one at a time still glitch!!!!

Thats what has me so lost. After reading this thread and going back over the boat

there are 2 things different from all my other stuff

1) Carbon Fiber throttle linkage, 1st time i am trying this.

2) Pipe bracket is bolted to 2 of the rudder bolts, if nick is right this could be

my feed back.

I am going to take out the throttle linkage and move the bracket and try again

next week as its back to work for me.

Thanks for all the help

Mike

BTW: I took out the flex shaft and cranked up the motor still glitched.

Heartbeat said:
I did try a good receiver and even put it back into my other boat where It worked great.  I changed out every piece one at a time still glitch!!!!

Thats what has me so lost.  After reading this thread and going back over the boat

there are 2 things different from all my other stuff

1) Carbon Fiber throttle linkage, 1st time i am trying this.

2) Pipe bracket is bolted to 2 of the rudder bolts, if nick is right this could be

my feed back.

I am going to take out the throttle linkage and move the bracket and try again

next week as its back to work for me.

Thanks for all the help

Mike

BTW: I took out the flex shaft and cranked up the motor still glitched.

75217[/snapback]

Mike,

I believe that item # 2 above is the cause. Isolate it or move it and I bet it will go away. I would try that first. It is essentially creating a resonating circuit. Think of the route it is taking and what it hooked into that circuit. Engine to pipe to bracket to rudder to servo to radio. Without seeing it that is what I picture in my mind. Of course I have been accused of being blind before! I doubt it is the throttle linkage.

John

:Not because: is my answer but I think you should try # 2 :lol: :p two years ago i was at one of London, Ontario races and a guy with a cat had the same problem him and his friend tried everything and they couldn't get the thing to leave the stand. I kept telling him to put a gap between the pipe and the header, and his buddy kept laughing at me and finally he tried pulling the pipe out a little... and all his problems were gone. :p He thanked me so many times, he shook my hand and he told me that he had never seen anything like that before. His buddy didn't say anything- :eek: You have a lot of things you can try out, but do 1 at a time so this way you get to the bottom of it. Good luck.

Nick

Heartbeat said:
JohnThats what it looks like. And the pipe might be touching the header  :unsure:

Thanks Mike

75223[/snapback]

Eureka! And who said that it is the simple things in life that drive us nuts. Rest assured that will not happen again in your boating career. I hope! You know the fix.

Back