Racing question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Migliaccio

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right area. I just bought the MLboatworks GSX470, which is a redesign of the GSX480. I have a couple questions about racing. I have never raced RC boats before, just run boats for enjoyment. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

What classes could this be raced in?
What engine size could be installed?
Does the engine need to be stock?
Are there more classes to run with stock engine, or modified engine?

I would contact your local area racers and get their input. You look like your form FL. There should be some guys here soon to respond about that area. It is a sport hydro. It runs in modified classes. There are no stock sport classes available. For stock, both IMPBA and NAMBA have a stock mono class. It is a lot of fun. As to the engine size, it matters which org you plan on running in.
Mike

I would contact your local area racers and get their input. You look like your form FL. There should be some guys here soon to respond about that area. It is a sport hydro. It runs in modified classes. There are no stock sport classes available. For stock, both IMPBA and NAMBA have a stock mono class. It is a lot of fun. As to the engine size, it matters which org you plan on running in.
Mike
Thanks for the input, as far as IMPBA or NAMBA and becoming a member, is one better than other

Which sanctioning body depends on your local area or club. But many join both.
The sport hydro class isn’t a stock engine class. You can run one. But it will be a disadvantage.
Thunderboat runs stock engines but the competition is real tight.
I’d suggest a gizmo 30plus engine and run it as they send it. No reason for a new boater to spend top dollar on a full mod motor they will likely damage. It will happen.
Take your time and learn the craft and enjoy the journey. There is lots to learn.
Stock mono is a sensible new to racing class. The engine is $190 and while the competition is tight the Initial investment is smaller then the rest.

Last edited:
Which sanctioning body depends on your local area or club. But many join both.
The sport hydro class isn’t a stock engine class. You can run one. But it will be a disadvantage.
Thunderbolt runs stock engines but the competition is real tight.
I’d suggest a gizmo 30plus engine and run it as they send it. No reason for a new boater to spend too dollar on a full mod motor they will likely damage. It will happen.
Take your time and learn the craft and enjoy the journey. There is lots to learn.
Stock mono is a sensible new to racing class. The engine is $190 and while the competition is tight the Initial investment is small then the rest.
Thank you, I appreciate the imformation

You can go on the web and look up NAMBA D3 and see the clubs that are close to your area.
You have 3 great clubs in South Florida and they run your class
Greg

Back