R-42 inside strut rudder length

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are several ways to build these that will run really well.

have built about a dozen inside strut R-42's and I prefer the handling of the 4" standoff.

Get much closer to the transom and they drive like the steering speed is up too high.

Offset the strut 3/16". The stuffing tube in them is a bear to bend and install perfectly. Do not anneal the tubing to make the bends.

have built about a dozen inside strut R-42's and I prefer the handling of the 4" standoff.

Get much closer to the transom and they drive like the steering speed is up too high.

Offset the strut 3/16". The stuffing tube in them is a bear to bend and install perfectly. Do not anneal the tubing to make the bends.

You see I got some German MTC hardware that came along with the hull i bought from a dutch boater. I have changed the rudder extention from Mtc so I dont have to drill new holes.
What do you m

Sorry for late reply, but do you mean the closer the rudder is to transom, the more it is difficult to handle the turns?
And what do you mean with offset the strut 3/16". Rise it from the bottom hull center? Appoligy the English skills.
Went for the shortest of them.
Ko

Attachments

• IMG_20220224_183839.jpg
    IMG_20220224_183839.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20220224_183912.jpg
    IMG_20220224_183912.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 30
I would have used the longer of those two. They just drive better to my liking out back a bit rather than right close to the transom.

The strut instead of putting it centered you would have moved it to the right of center 3/16" so the boat will not require left trim to go straight. Boat is built so tough to do without making a project of it.

I would have used the longer of those two. They just drive better to my liking out back a bit rather than right close to the transom.

The strut instead of putting it centered you would have moved it to the right of center 3/16" so the boat will not require left trim to go straight. Boat is built so tough to do without making a project of it.
Appreciate your view on this. Thanks

Latest posts

Back