question about offset

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the newer boats they have the "swim platform" that makes it difficult to place a rudder on the left. Can you mirror the boat to off set the boat to the right thus setting the platform to the right? Would there be an issue with the rudder on the right?

On the newer boats they have the "swim platform" that makes it difficult to place a rudder on the left. Can you mirror the boat to off set the boat to the right thus setting the platform to the right? Would there be an issue with the rudder on the right?
The rear of my Elam is a mirror swim deck on right goofy notched shoe on left rudder on left

The rear of my Elam is a mirror swim deck on right goofy notched shoe on left rudder on left
Mike, Does that help because we run clockwise. Ray

Mike, Does that help because we run clockwise. Ray
Boat is still in shop ready to paint. My opinion nah it does nothing but the real one had it so mine does too... My hull is a t-5 Thomas and ive driven one with out the swim deck i will know right away if it helps hurts or does nothing. GOTTA BEAT THE BUD AND PICCO yea right

Yeah, Wes. Scale boats can be either mirror or not. Technically if the sponsons are mirror, the rear should be too! It would be wrong to mirror only part of the boat, in my opinion.

Go Pico.

Thanks for the cool video link Mikey.

Brian

HHMMMMM JUST A THOUGHT IF THE PROP RUNS THE WRONG WAY AND THE BOAT RUNS THE WRONG WAY (TO US THAT IS) IF THEIR FEATURES WORK ON A MODEL THEY WOULD ONLY WORK IF MIRRORED ANYWAY... LIKE THE LONGER REAR LEFT SHOE USED TO KEEP RIGHT FRONT DOWN, NOW IF MIRRORED WOULDNT THIS DO THE SAME THING LIKE LOWERING THE RIGHT REAR SPONSON ON A RIGGER?

HHMMMMM JUST A THOUGHT IF THE PROP RUNS THE WRONG WAY AND THE BOAT RUNS THE WRONG WAY (TO US THAT IS) IF THEIR FEATURES WORK ON A MODEL THEY WOULD ONLY WORK IF MIRRORED ANYWAY... LIKE THE LONGER REAR LEFT SHOE USED TO KEEP RIGHT FRONT DOWN, NOW IF MIRRORED WOULDNT THIS DO THE SAME THING LIKE LOWERING THE RIGHT REAR SPONSON ON A RIGGER?
I have never noticed before but the long rear shoe is on the left of the real boat as well as the "swim platform" You would think they would have it opposite. May be instead of lifting the left rear, they are planting the right front? Like taking "push" out of a stock car? in the turns? But back to my origional question. Don't riggers have the rudder onthe right? Why the difference?

I have never noticed before but the long rear shoe is on the left of the real boat as well as the "swim platform" You would think they would have it opposite. May be instead of lifting the left rear, they are planting the right front? Like taking "push" out of a stock car? in the turns? But back to my origional question. Don't riggers have the rudder onthe right? Why the difference?
Im sure with todays radios adjustments could be made,think about it most riggers snap when turning. Try snapping a 14 lb scale in rough water conditions. Most right sponsons are planted by the curved turn fin, im working on a straight fin setup maybe it will work but the setup will be different for sure. Why a longer shoe, if they were trying to take push out id think it would be deeper. SOOO many things to think about when in the end we are dealing with a small amount of surface area touching the water

Just to add a little on the mirror image thing. The Scale Czar (Newton) Draws his plans mirror image for the bottom running surfaces but the top stays scale on both the 96 DeWalt and Griffon Bud.

I thought that complete mirror would be the way to go, at least it makes sence.

I guess I'll find out what the difference is when I start testing the Griffon. Talk about difficult rudder placement. The Griffon has the drive line off center 1.5" left. Not much room to place the rudder. It will be interesting to see how it all works out.

gh

Just to add a little on the mirror image thing. The Scale Czar (Newton) Draws his plans mirror image for the bottom running surfaces but the top stays scale on both the 96 DeWalt and Griffon Bud.

I guess I'll find out what the difference is when I start testing the Griffon. Talk about difficult rudder placement. The Griffon has the drive line off center 1.5" left. Not much room to place the rudder. It will be interesting to see how it all works out.

gh
You dont need a rudder just keep it on the TRAILER!!!! happy holidays Greg and Suz hope Santa brings more toys...second thought you got too many toys now.......Mike

Why a longer shoe, if they were trying to take push out id think it would be deeper. SOOO many things to think about when in the end we are dealing with a small amount of surface area touching the water

I don't think the shoe is deeper, just longer and the "swim platform" would add lift to the left rear, planting the right front I think. Then of corse they made the over all tunnell longer on the left. That would give more lift to the left side.Why would you want more lift on the inboard side?

With the engine bay and cockpit offset to the inboard side, the inboard side has less deck area so the rawing is moved forward to compensate for the lack of lift. While not as extreme as on the Griffen Buds, the offset is still there and does have an aerodynamic effect on the boat

gh
You dont need a rudder just keep it on the TRAILER!!!! happy holidays Greg and Suz hope Santa brings more toys...second thought you got too many toys now.......Mike
Mikey, no such thing as toooo many toys! Happy holidays and hope Santy takes care of you also!

By the way we'll be in dist. 14 next season if you'll put up with us, hope there's room! ;)

gh

Latest posts

Back