question about long glow plugs in o.s. engines

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric ekern

i have noticed that a "standard" o.s. glow plug is a couple millimeters shorter than a mccoy mc9 plug. the question that arrises as being the o.s. head button is designed with the o.s. plug length in mind, should i put 2 copper washers on a mccoy plug to raise the plug so it potrudes the same distance into the combustion chamber? logic tells me yes but i would like some other's input. thanks, eric

Eric,

I ran an O.S. RZM-21 for a couple of years on MC-9 plugs

with no problem at all.I didn't like the O.S. plugs.

See Ya,

Mark Sholund :)

I used O.S 5s with my RZ. Worked okay for one run. Their filements usually get sucked into the engine if you are anywhere near a good needle. I'm not sure, about the McCoy 9s, But I believe that there are two standard sized to plugs that are long and short. If your engine hasn't had the clearance lowered dramatically, then you shouldn't need to worry about adding an extra washer. I personally have been using K&B HPs. They are the long type, and I use them on all sizes of engines. Looking for something better, but I'm satisfied with them. They usually don't loose the filement all together when they decide to go. If the filement gets down into your piston, you will start having problems. I have used McCoys before, too, but that was a long time ago, and I don't remember the number. One thing I do remember, is that they corrode very easily. If you don't keep them in a sealed container. They will rust. I ordered mine from the states, and by the time they got here to Japan, they were a shade of brown rust. :-[. They worked fine though.

Good Luck!

Hammer

Eric, I have run OS RZ's for the last couple of years and I use the McCoy MC9. One washer is fine. I have found it to be an excellent plug for that engine. Bill

Oh! By the way, the designer of the boat racing engines at OS. he just happens to be a friend of mine. I met him at the nats. He was running in the time trials. He was using K&B Hp plugs in his .21 VZ-M.

Tells me one thing. OS plugs suck! If the guy who works there doesn't even use them.

Kind of like the guy who works at Toyota, but drives a Nissan.

And now you know the rest of the story,...Good Day!

Hammer

hammer? is the vz-m converted from the vz car engine os recently released in the states? the older rz-m has been discontinued in the states, will a production vz-m replace it? thanks, eric

Hello Eric!

If think that it is already available in the states at Tower Hobbies. I heard something about it in one of my other threads. I heard that it is about 600 bucks, though. Ouch!

It is about 370 dollars over here. It was originally a converted engine. The Hobby shops were putting .21 SE-M

water jackets, flywheels, and 4B carbs on them. Now you can get them from the factory if you special order them.

I'm not sure if the ones that Tower Hobbies have are converted or not. If they aren't, It is a piece of cake to do it yourself. I'm sure that you can bolt on the carb and flywheel of one of your old RZs. Have know idea about the water jacket, though.

I know that OS also has a new version of the RZ available now in Japan.

I prefer the RZ because the difference in price is left unexplained in performance. The VZ revs a bit more, but not 150 dollars more. If you know anything about tuning, you can make a RZ spin just as well.

Hammer

i emailed the o.s. distributor stateside and the only version of the vz engine in the u.s. is the car version with a pilot shaft crank. you can get it for about 370 through tower. is there a standard threaded crank available in japan? or do you use the pilot shaft crank somehow? i wonder how different the crank out of my rz-m is? i will have to do a little research. ?????? they also mentioned there is nothing in the works about replacing the rz-m at all

Oh! By the way, the designer of the boat racing engines at OS. he just happens to be a friend of mine. I met him at the nats. He was running in the time trials. He was using K&B Hp plugs in his .21 VZ-M.

Tells me one thing. OS plugs suck! If the guy who works there doesn't even use them.

Kind of like the guy who works at Toyota, but drives a Nissan.

And now you know the rest of the story,...Good Day!

Hammer
Hammer, A few years ago I met Kaz Mihara who was the chief designer at OS, is he still there or is it someone else these days?

Hey Tim-san

I have heard of mihara. I checked him out. He did car engines. I think he went it alone. He designs hop up parts for RC cars now.

The boat engine guy is Imamura.

I will post his .45 Time trial hydro. It was very fast, but his .21 was faster. I couldn't find any pics of it though.

Hammer

Latest posts

Back