put the cost of gas into perspective

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barry

Just a little humor to help you all put the cost of gas into perspective.

All these examples do NOT imply that gasoline is cheap; it just illustrates how outrageous some prices are.... You will be really shocked by the last one!Compared with Gasoline......

Think a gallon of gas is expensive?

This makes one think, and also puts things in perspective.

Diet Snapple 16 oz $1.29 ... $10.32 per gallon

Lipton Ice Tea 16 oz $1.19 ........$9.52 per gallon

Gatorade 20 oz $1.59 ..... $10.17 per gallon

Ocean Spray 16 oz $1.25 .... $10.00 per gallon

Brake Fluid 12 oz $3.15 ...... $33.60 per gallon

Vick's Nyquil 6 oz $8.35 ... $178.13 per gallon

Pepto Bismol 4 oz $3.85 .. $123.20 per gallon

Whiteout 7 oz $1.39 ....... $25.42 per gallon

Scope 1.5 oz $0.99 ....$84.48 per gallon

And this is the REAL KICKER...

Evian water 9 oz $1.49..$21.19 per gallon!

$21.19 for WATER and the buyers don't even know the source

(Evian spelled backwards is Naive.)

Ever wonder why printers are so cheap?

Think Gillette Razor strategy.

So they have you hooked for the ink.

Someone calculated the cost of the ink at (you won't believe it....but it is true) $5,200 a gallon. (five thousand two hundred dollars)

So, the next time you're at the pump,be glad your car doesn't run on water, Scope, or Whiteout, Pepto Bismol, Nyquil or God forbid, Printer Ink!

Just a little humor to help ease the pain of your next trip to the pump...

Just a little humor to help you all put the cost of gas into perspective. All these examples do NOT imply that gasoline is cheap; it just illustrates how outrageous some prices are.... You will be really shocked by the last one!Compared with Gasoline......

Think a gallon of gas is expensive?

This makes one think, and also puts things in perspective.

Diet Snapple 16 oz $1.29 ... $10.32 per gallon

Lipton Ice Tea 16 oz $1.19 ........$9.52 per gallon

Gatorade 20 oz $1.59 ..... $10.17 per gallon

Ocean Spray 16 oz $1.25 .... $10.00 per gallon

Brake Fluid 12 oz $3.15 ...... $33.60 per gallon

Vick's Nyquil 6 oz $8.35 ... $178.13 per gallon

Pepto Bismol 4 oz $3.85 .. $123.20 per gallon

Whiteout 7 oz $1.39 ....... $25.42 per gallon

Scope 1.5 oz $0.99 ....$84.48 per gallon

And this is the REAL KICKER...

Evian water 9 oz $1.49..$21.19 per gallon!

$21.19 for WATER and the buyers don't even know the source

(Evian spelled backwards is Naive.)

Ever wonder why printers are so cheap?

Think Gillette Razor strategy.

So they have you hooked for the ink.

Someone calculated the cost of the ink at (you won't believe it....but it is true) $5,200 a gallon. (five thousand two hundred dollars)

So, the next time you're at the pump,be glad your car doesn't run on water, Scope, or Whiteout, Pepto Bismol, Nyquil or God forbid, Printer Ink!

Just a little humor to help ease the pain of your next trip to the pump...
and you forgot.. nitro 70 percent on the deal.. 30.00 a gallon, if you buy it by the quart 65.00 a gallon.. no humor just the truth.. and it stinks.

:angry: terry

so you think gas is expensive in the USA? :lol:

here in Germany we are already paying $8.90 a gallon :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
Fresh prices here in France :

Diesel : 1.43€/l = 5.4€/gal = $8.48/gal

SSP95 : 1.45€/l = 5.5€/gal = $8.64/gal

Home fuel : 1.05€/l = 3.97€/gal = $6.23/gal (just to have warm water)

There's few month ago, there stil 0.15€ between the diesel and the SS95, now it's quite at the same prices, and sometimes ... ... more expensive. My car needs only 5 liters to make 100km (48 miles per gallon), but it's the first time it's cheaper to fill my 1000 SVS tank than for the same quantity for my car.

And I'm still drinking Evian water, it's only 1€/l on the most expensive stores here..

Fresh prices here in France :
Diesel : 1.43€/l = 5.4€/gal = $8.48/gal

SSP95 : 1.45€/l = 5.5€/gal = $8.64/gal

Home fuel : 1.05€/l = 3.97€/gal = $6.23/gal (just to have warm water)

There's few month ago, there stil 0.15€ between the diesel and the SS95, now it's quite at the same prices, and sometimes ... ... more expensive. My car needs only 5 liters to make 100km (48 miles per gallon), but it's the first time it's cheaper to fill my 1000 SVS tank than for the same quantity for my car.

And I'm still drinking Evian water, it's only 1€/l on the most expensive stores here..
posted by Saugling,

so you think gas is expensive in the USA?here in Germany we are already paying $8.90 a gallon
You definitely pay more for petro products in Europe than we do here in the United States. I always get amused when people try to compare prices of fuel in Europe with dollars. First, to do an actual apples to apples comparison, you must take into account the fact that Europeans get paid in Euros, not dollars. The current exchange rate at this moment is $1.56 per Euro. This means that a person paid in Euros is "making" 56% more dollars than the US person. When a European person pays for his fuel, it is not like an American paying with almost worthless dollars. Yes, if I go to Europe, I will pay $8+ per gallon because the dollar is so weak. Europeans are paid in Euros (at least those countries that use the Euro ;) ) and they pay in Euros, not dollars.

As Fabrice stated, a Frenchman pays 5.4 Euros per gallon. His wallet "knows" or "feels" Euros like my wallet "knows" or "feels" dollars. However his wallet "feels" 56% more dollars. Does this make sense? It is the equivalent of $8.48/gal but he makes the equivalent of 56% more dollars than us Americans since his and Saugling's Euro is worth 56% more than our dollar.

I was in London not too long ago and the price of gas was around 1.25 Pounds per liter (or something close to this.) Just under 5 Pounds per gallon since a liter is more than a quart. The current exchange rate is $1.96 per Pound making this gas cost almost $10/gal for an American :eek: ! But Brits are paid in Pounds not dollars. To do the apples to apples comparison here, you must figure that the Brit makes 96% more dollars than an American does!

56% more dollars yes.

There's not a lot of months, 1 euro was 1$. At this time, I was already paying my diesel for 0.8-0.9€ per liter when I was looking the american petrol at $2.5-3/gal... By taking 1€ = $1, here it still to be expensive to use a car

Don't forget even if the € cost now more than $1, my salary has not increase for 56%... while the diesel had been crossed by 2 in less than 5 years. If tomorrow the € decreases, I still paiying my gaz at 1.50€..

However, the US people has certainly seen the most increase of its gaz, it was also SO cheaper before.. Now I thinks US has to change their way of life, using cars with low consumption, time with big truck is an old age I think.. In France, more than 75/100 of cars are diesel ones, and most of them are not making more than 30-40 miles/gal. How many for a F-150??

My factory has a plant near philadelphia, and sometimes an american guy come here for the work. When we are going to lunch, we often talk about the european life cost vs the us one. He still be afraid as the prices are so much higher here, without taking the actual rate between our currencies, everything is more expensive here.

I bought a Levi's last week, I paid 50€ for it, and it was on sale.. I heard you're buying it for $25..

Just an example. A friend of mine (french) is now working in this plant in US, she was back in France last week, american way of life still be cheaper than ours.

I have a good work, I have 2000€ each month, but 5 years ago I could have a real good life with it, now we have to check every prices.

I'm actually buying a house (my first one), happily, we have some money not to take a big mortgage loan (not sure it's the right word), but I still be very pessimist about our future. We have not subprimes like yours, but...

It still have an advantage, it's the first time I can buy someting in $ with less €, I have never bought so many parts in US.. In HK, it's the same because I always bought in $. This makes my hobby cheaper.

Right there with ya Tom, I average a $200 a week bill just for working..... and another $100~$150 for personal.... last week with work and running all the family to and from the airports I went through $425 between Thursday and Tuesday :(

I had to be one of the few fools looking for a full sized truck in this market :(

I figured it out the other day, at $4.35 a gal I break even on my mileage, anything above that I start loosing money. and thats not including oil changes anymore :( I'm still not complaining that bad yet... two of the other cars I regularly drive take 101+ octane to run without pinging...

My gas bill last month was 1400.00 , I'm not laughing !!
I fill your pain, 1625.00 a month to drive my suburban and my wife's suburban for one month. We have four kids with many friends and activities. Very hard to down size the vehicle.

Robert Holland

Ink is old news, switch to a laser printer. 15 bucks to refill my toner, and that 15 bucks lasts me over a year. They try to trick you to buy the entire cartridge, but why replace the entire cartridge when you can just get the toner and fill it up yourself? :lol:

They try to trick you to buy the entire cartridge, but why replace the entire cartridge when you can just get the toner and fill it up yourself? :lol:
You were right about ink vs laser for operating costs but you are giving advice thats not well informed.

Factor in the cost of a new drum unit and / or fuser unit plus labor and that cheap toner refill starts to look like a poor option. I see it all the time. False economy. Yes - I work in the office equipment industry.

I figured it out the other day, at $4.35 a gal I break even on my mileage, anything above that I start loosing money. and thats not including oil changes anymore :( I'm still not complaining that bad yet... two of the other cars I regularly drive take 101+ octane to run without pinging...

I hear ya there! My "fun" street car i run a 50/50 mix of 93 & 112. $105 for a 5 gallon drum($21/gl). 5 gallons of 93... $22.40 ($4.48/gl). Total of 10 gallons for a weekend of playing... $127.40

Not such a fun car anymore :(

Just to keep it real, our European friends are paying more because they are getting boned by their own governments. In an article from today's Washington Post about the protests there about fuel costs-

"European gas and diesel prices are generally double -- or more over U.S. prices, largely because European governments impose heavy taxes on fuel. In Britain, for example, where diesel costs the equivalent of more than $9 a gallon, the government charges a fuel duty of about $3.77 a gallon, plus a 17.5 percent consumption tax on top of that -- a tax on the tax."

Doesn't matter where, they're getting rich at our expense. :angry:

"European gas and diesel prices are generally double -- or more over U.S. prices, largely because European governments impose heavy taxes on fuel. In Britain, for example, where diesel costs the equivalent of more than $9 a gallon, the government charges a fuel duty of about $3.77 a gallon, plus a 17.5 percent consumption tax on top of that -- a tax on the tax."
Don, I'm not picking on anything you said cause you're right.

My point is to once again point out that Europeans are not "paying $9.00 a gallon!" They are paying the equivalent of $9.00 a gallon!

I was just in London and the price at one station was 1.19 pounds/liter. 3.785 liters = 1 gal. Therefore, Brits (at this station) are now paying 4.50 pounds/gallon. Brits get paid in pounds, not dollars! For them, this is like us paying $4.50/gallon which is probably happening right now in CA and a few other high priced areas and we don't even pay the super high taxes that Don just mentioned :eek: :eek: :angry: !

If we want to use the "costs the equivalent of" figure of $9.00/gallon, then for a fair comparison, we must convert a Brit's pay to dollars! The exchange rate is $1.96 to the pound. Therefore, we must essentially double a Brit's income to make this a meaningful comparison!

This issue is a pet peeve of mine since it is news media sensationalism :angry: ! Yes, the Europeans are paying higher gas prices than they did before. Yes, they generally pay more than we do. But NO!!!! They do not pay double! They pay the EQUIVALENT of double. However, the Brits make the EQUIVALENT of double and the Europeans that get paid in euros make the EQUIVALENT of 56% more money than we americans since the exchange rate is $1.56 to the euro!

Keep in mind that Europeans use to pay about 2 1/2-3 times more than we did. Their fuel prices have gone up a fraction of the amount that our prices have. Thats right! A fraction. Our prices have tripled, due in large part to our weak US Dollar and other factors such as too few US refineries to keep us with gasoline demand.

And one other thing, if a Brit comes to the United States and rents a car and fills it up at a $4.00/gal gas station, for him, he's only paying 2 pounds per gallon! Half, since his money is so strong and he exchanges 1 pound and gets almost $2 for it.

Latest posts

Back