Pushing 100 RoadRunner Twin 90s VACs

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For you doubters......

Don't, the boat is awesome and running mid 90's. It is set up as good as any twin that I have seen for heat racing. Will mill slow, accelerate instantly, run fast. Only thing that could be better is the turn fin :)

Boat is mid 90's with SAW blades (heat race turn fin and long rudder) that take some time to get up. Will race at mid 80's with 1667's. I would bet that with a SAW fin and shorter rudder, 100+ would be EASY.
Good Work Marty!! Looking Gooooooooooood!! ......Send me a set of those Marty Davis 1667`s. I seen those spooned up props on Larrys Boat... The Motors are a BEAST!! Out of the Box..... :blink: :blink: B)

For you doubters......

Don't, the boat is awesome and running mid 90's. It is set up as good as any twin that I have seen for heat racing. Will mill slow, accelerate instantly, run fast. Only thing that could be better is the turn fin :)

Boat is mid 90's with SAW blades (heat race turn fin and long rudder) that take some time to get up. Will race at mid 80's with 1667's. I would bet that with a SAW fin and shorter rudder, 100+ would be EASY.
Marty, Don't put me on the list of doubters. The only thing I pointed out was mid 90's with 2175's, is not alot of rpm.If your running a twin with 2175's and its slower it better be because one of the engines are not running! The 91 vacs, are awesome engines though, and running mid 80's with 1667's in stock form is great.That "Old RR" will be a good boat 15+ years from now. Jeff

For you doubters......

Build him a fin & get him to bring it to Charleston in Oct. There should be Several BIG BLOCK Twins Running HARD @ Charleston.......

For you doubters......

Marty, Don't put me on the list of doubters. The only thing I pointed out was mid 90's with 2175's, is not alot of rpm.If your running a twin with 2175's and its slower it better be because one of the engines are not running! The 91 vacs, are awesome engines though, and running mid 80's with 1667's in stock form is great.That "Old RR" will be a good boat 15+ years from now. Jeff
Jeff, Try to make Charleston this year....... BIG Lake Good Water & Great Place to AIR-OUT a Twin........ Evansville June race will have many Twins Buzzzzing the lake too.

For you doubters......

Jeff:

You are one of the people that I REALLY take notice of comments. When you say something, especially about big block engines, I am all ears. I printed off the things that you said about the 101 since we got one and are putting it in a new single boat. I know that there are problems with them top starving and I was looking for a solution.

The props that I did for Larry are both the same for all 4 blades and that is a LOT of the reason they are so good. I do my bending a little different that most in that I like to hold the water on the outer edges longer to increase the efficiency. I can seem to make props that don't load a lot and will mill very slow and still go fast. That set of props seemed to be special.

I will say that I didn't quite believe the speeds that were being talked about by Tom. I told him that I would have to see that to believe it. They brought the boat to the pond for testing before Atlanta and I saw that he was really running mid 90's. I neglected to hear that he was running SAW props. That is when we started working on a set of heat ract props.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marty, Someone made the statement we canot go any faster than Leading edge pitch. maybe he dont own a set of prop pliers & know about TE cup...... I have bent them untill they say Uncle....... With it being a twin just takes longer to get all of the blades the same.... Good Work!! Should Make Larry`s Hat Spin Around??????......... :lol:

Joe I think Marty said somewhere in this post that he did the props?

Marty, Someone made the statement we canot go any faster than Leading edge pitch. maybe he dont own a set of prop pliers & know about TE cup...... I have bent them untill they say Uncle....... With it being a twin just takes longer to get all of the blades the same.... Good Work!! Should Make Larry`s Hat Spin Around??????......... :lol:

Joe:

It is amazing that some of the best prop sharpeners and benders are not making all the blades the same on a set of twin props. It is surprising how much better everything works with 4 equal blades.

How about that Aric Kid...... :)

Ralph says that he is going to start running a little down here. Can't wait to get him to the pond.

For you doubters......

Build him a fin & get him to bring it to Charleston in Oct. There should be Several BIG BLOCK Twins Running HARD @ Charleston.......
Not sure what I'm gonna have to do to keep up with you guys ..but I am really looking forward to that race and Beals WILL be there !! :lol: :lol:

Marty,

All of the propellers are flexing in marine applications, and many are changing

after just one or two runs. Sometimes a little offset is desired depending on the

application. The flexing of the blades is why it is so hard to set records. After one

pass the blades bend and flex, this changes the pitch of the blades.

We have set a few records with equal pitches, and even some with a

little stagger. I remember you telling me and others that a little stagger is faster.

Has this changed now? We believe equal is the way to go for most applications.

This is why CNC propellers will be the best way to go in the future, if we can keep

the prices reasonable. :)

Just Curious,

Mark Sholund

Marty,

after just one or two runs. Sometimes a little offset is desired depending on the

application. The flexing of the blades is why it is so hard to set records. After one

little stagger. I remember you telling me and others that a little stagger is faster.

This is why CNC propellers will be the best way to go in the future, if we can keep

Just Curious,

Mark Sholund

Mark:

"After one pass the blades bend and flex, this changes the pitch of the blades."

This is exactly what I have observed. If it is the best one yet, rebend it to the the pitch you started with and then harden it. You are correct . It depitches in the very first run!

Regards.........Rick

Marty,

the prices reasonable.
smile.gif

Just Curious,

Mark Sholund
I've noticed all mine losing pitch over time , but I only race my boat not try to wear it out too much testing . I do heat treat all my custom props (usually made by others ) as soon as I get them no matter what size boat it's for . Thanks to Marty, Mark , Andy , Randy , Chris for sharing parts of your specialty ...it's made us all better boaters !!!
smile.gif
smile.gif

Joe I think Marty said somewhere in this post that he did the props?

Thomas I was aware that Marty done the props. I was making a comment that another boater Had stated that we cannot go any faster than Leading Edge Pitch X RPM....... I go faster with T.E. cup. I could care less about leading edge pitch. I normally cut as much of the leading edge off that I can...... Mark sholund has said that we need props with Higher base line C.O.B. Center of blade pitch. I agree with Mark..... But in the mean time Cupping the present props is all we can Do........... Tom Prezenka (Octura Owner) is not likely going to build us a 1670 Prop with 6.0 - 6.5 COB pitch. Currently we have More Motor than Prop for Most Rigger applications..............

Marty,

Just Curious,

Mark Sholund

Mark:

"After one pass the blades bend and flex, this changes the pitch of the blades."

This is exactly what I have observed. If it is the best one yet, rebend it to the the pitch you started with and then harden it. You are correct . It depitches in the very first run!

Regards.........Rick
Rick are you using the Woods prop measuring tool & measuring @ 70 percent out of hub? jw

Marty, Someone made the statement we canot go any faster than Leading edge pitch. maybe he dont own a set of prop pliers & know about TE cup...... I have bent them untill they say Uncle....... With it being a twin just takes longer to get all of the blades the same.... Good Work!! Should Make Larry`s Hat Spin Around??????.........
laugh.gif
Joe:

It is amazing that some of the best prop sharpeners and benders are not making all the blades the same on a set of twin props. It is surprising how much better everything works with 4 equal blades.

How about that Aric Kid......
smile.gif

Ralph says that he is going to start running a little down here. Can't wait to get him to the pond.

Marty, indeed it is amazing that some of the best prop sharpeners and benders are not making consistent products. We pay top dollar for twin match props, gas boat props, etc. etc. and many times if not most of the time all we get is sharpening and polishing service. No consideration to blade areas, balancing, consistent cup pitch, etc. Rick Doane checks all my new props before I run them. Very seldom we find two props that are alike and truly race ready, and most of the time all you find is marginal balancing.

cool.gif

I go faster with T.E. cup. I could care less about leading edge pitch. I normally cut as much of the leading edge off that I can......
Joe,

Cutting off the leading edge of progressive pitch props increases the leading edge pitch. You may not care but you are changing it. :)

Ian.
Ian, we must use what we have & Must do what we have to do...... I agree, removing the low leading edge pitch..... will advance the prop to a New leading (higher Pitch # ) But Laying to thrust cone down to a much lower angle 30 or lower is the ticket to Speed. Prop Cupping has been done for ages to advance the T E numbers.

Marty, Someone made the statement we canot go any faster than Leading edge pitch. maybe he dont own a set of prop pliers & know about TE cup...... I have bent them untill they say Uncle....... With it being a twin just takes longer to get all of the blades the same.... Good Work!! Should Make Larry`s Hat Spin Around??????.........
laugh.gif
Joe:

How about that Aric Kid......
smile.gif

Marty, indeed it is amazing that some of the best prop sharpeners and benders are not making consistent products. We pay top dollar for twin match props, gas boat props, etc. etc. and many times if not most of the time all we get is sharpening and polishing service. No consideration to blade areas, balancing, consistent cup pitch, etc. Rick Doane checks all my new props before I run them. Very seldom we find two props that are alike and truly race ready, and most of the time all you find is marginal balancing.

cool.gif

I had no idea about this until I started getting requests from my local friends to check their props and maybe tweak them a little. I couldn't belive the difference in the blades.

As for flexing, I have no idea about that as I have not had this problem. I sharpen, bend and then heat treat all the props that I run and I NEVER have any change in the blades. I guess the last time I did was when I tried to run the aluminum 1650 props a LONG TIME AGO. Have not had this problem in many years. I will say that I don't run a lot of BIG PROPS as most of my activity is with the smaller boats. I am too old and too slow to run the really fast boats.

Back