Pullstart woes

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CySlyde

Ok the pull start on the .16 crudded out on me. when i opened it up to try and repair it.. i lost the one way bearing.. I figure i can use a starting belt and regular starter.. but will the engine act differently if i just put the cap to the pull start on and leave out the lost one way beaing.. or does that bearing add some rotational mass like a flywheel?

whats your thoughts.. safe without or don't try it?

Mike, it might not run without the pull starter in place. Most let air in from the rear so the motor won't run. If you can't get parts by the Fun Run, let me know and I'll bring along the Grey Thunder and we'll take the parts off of that.

I don't see where you would have any problems with out the bearing. The starting belt should work just fine. I had a pull start break in the past and did the same thing. Boat ran just fine.

Dale P.

In my truck i took the pull starter off and bought a tool that goes in a hand drill to start it . You don't need the bearing or starter on for it to run. Scott

Psthe tool is called the YANK ELIMNATO I got mine from Als Hobbies in Elmhurst.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sullivan just came out with a product called Tiger Drive, it replaces the pull starter with 2 bevel gears. You start the engine with a hex shaft that hooks into an airplane or boat starter. The yank eliminator is a fine product but with the way it hooks up I don't think it would work in a boat.

Eric, go over to my site and I talked about this several weeks ago. Mike still needs the one-way bearing to run the motor no mattter what starting system that he uses.

Mike does your motor have the one way on the crank journal or is the shaft the one riding next to the rod on the crank? If the one way is inside the motor and all the shaft does is go through the bushing in pullstart adapter plate and then go into the oneway, you are fine without it. The shaft would plug the hole in the crank case. If your motor is like the traxxas with the oneway outside then I don't think that shaft will spin ok without it. I have run os' without the bearing inside just the shaft held in by the pull start assy and it runs fine.

in an old pull start engine I had, the bearing crapped out, so I yanked it all off and it still left the gapping hole into the crank case. I took a small hardwood dowel, put a slight taper on it with the belt sander, put some ca on it, tapped it in the hole with a small mallet until it was tight, and thats how it ran for another 6 gallons of fuel......worked great!

~James

Ok I know this may sound strange, but, I I havn't gotten a starter yet. and i got two days up at the cabin. I think i could make a cone using some PCV pipe laying around, and attach it to a cordless drill.. do you think the drill would have enough power, and speed to actually start my little motor using a belt?

Back