Pull Starter Cord Keeps Ripping Out!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superfluus

The cord in my pull starter keeps ripping out. I must have replaced it like 4 times in the last couple of months, any ideas on how i could fix this problem? I was using 70lb rope from Home Depot, but even that wasn't strong enough!

Right...like i'm trying to rip it out! there was plenty of rope in there so i wouldn't actually be "pulling it out." just for you information.

Good Lord! You must be pulling on it like your Paul Bunyun! LOL

..ease up we all like to joke around. Any how can't you get some quality cord from a boat and Jet Ski store??

and as you can imagine, after it pulled out for like the 4th time i was rather pissed. so the whole subject is kind of a sensitive one for me :)

Of course I'll assume there is such a store where you live. I'll have to assume it because it doesn't say where you live in your personal information Bio!

Plus the beauty of the internet is you have that type of access at your finger tips.

AAHHH, don't let it eat at you. Boating is a very frustrating hobby most of the time so be prepared, once you fix the pull cord, next will be the fuel tank or the prop, etc...

Have a good one! ;D

I KNOW...been there done that (fuel tank, prop, radio box, engine placement, drive system)! so..what about my pull cord? :p

SF...we're here to help. ;)

Where is the rope breaking? Right at the handle, right at the starter pulley, or somewhere in-between?

And RCB2 is right...part of the fun of R/C boating is the challenges it presents. You have to adapt and overcome because just when you get it all together, you'll forget where you put it!

Propjockey Racing.....hope for the best -- but expect the worst! ;D

Ok...couple of things to think about...

Make sure the pulley doesn't have a sharp edge where the rope goes through. I know, it sounds like a "no-brainer", but a slight manufacture defect could be enough to cut any rope you put in there...

Which brings me to my next point...the rope you put in there. What kind? Is it abrasion resistant? 70 Lb test sounds like it should be plenty, but that test is under a steady load. As you pull the rope and the engine comes up on compression, you may be exerting much more than 70 lbs on it during that brief period.

You may also try melting some wax and soaking the last four inches or so in it. Waxed fibers are much stronger than dry.

****, If your getting that pissed over a pullstart, Might as well sink that boat now ;D ;D ;D

You might want to LOOSEN Your glow plug some, and let it fire and tighten it up. I have seen where the engine locks up as your pulling it, that could get rid of some of the stress on the rope. I have used paraichoote rope on one of mine and has worked great.

and if you come on this board pissed at your boat problems, and ask for help and snap at others here, that will not get you to far. we are all a great group of guys in this hobby/board and there is plenty of help, and plenty of wise cracks here. but its all fun and games, and if you ask me, there is no better board for info and help.

NT

laugh.gif
yeah, really. my mom always taught me when i want something from someone else to ask nicely. hehehe! ;)

crazy.gif
drink.gif
jawdropper.gif

;D ;D ;D ;D LMAO You guys crack me up. Good thing i wrote something about wise cracks. ;D ;D ;D ;D

If i got that flustered first couple times out. I wouldnt OWN ONE Boat, let alone 5.

no problem! i was just playing along with the wise cracks...but anyways thanks for all your help on my boating problems!

that sure is the truth...just when i thought my project boat was about finished some part breaks! you just gotta love this hobby!

Back