Props for an 1/8th scale

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Ashby

As a non-expert, I was wondering about prop choices for my scale.

What are the positive and negatives between running a 3 blade and a 2 blade prop?

I know it is best to let the boat tell me which specific prop to use, I'm just wondering about your opinions on a 2 blade vs. a 3 blade.

What are the positive and negatives between running a 3 blade and a 2 blade prop?

I know it is best to let the boat tell me which specific prop to use, I'm just wondering about your opinions on a 2 blade vs. a 3 blade.
We run both in the Midwest but being from the West Coast and those SUPER SLOW starts id think 2 blades would pop the boat out of the hole quicker. For my money a 3 blade will help the boat thru the corners better. In the end its SETUP SETUP SETUP. Make it work then play with new things to try to find a secret weapon...

Last edited by a moderator:

We run both in the Midwest but being from the West Coast and those SUPER SLOW starts id think 2 blades would pop the boat out of the hole quicker. For my money a 3 blade will help the boat thru the corners better. In the end its SETUP SETUP SETUP. Make it work then play with new things to try to find a secret weapon...
I have have found that when a two blade is just not right. problems coming out of the corners, or sticking to the water. the third blade helps free the boat. I am no expert either!

You saw Mikeys post, He is correct, setup, setup, setup! So, that being in your mind now. If with the three blade, you cant pull out of your mill speed easily, a quick fix may be going that same size prop in a two blade. This, However, may cause you to not handle the way you would like in the turns. Also, usually, a correct two blade will have an edge in speed over the correct three blade. So, here you go, Mikey, Whos Elam has had issues turning the way he would like, runs a three blade, looking for stability in the turns. His hull has plenty of straightaway speed. It mills well, his only issue has been in the turns. While, The hull I use turns really well. So, I use a two blade looking for all the mph and milling capabilities I can get. We could take this farther and talk prather, X series, Y Series, or 14 series or 16 series. In the end, its Set up Set Up, Set up. This may not have helped but my fingers got some exercise. haha! Ken

Hi Doug,

2 bladed props give you a higher top end and 3 bladed props give you better acceleration and cornering speed (plus a smoother boat ride).

If you come to the test in Ellensberg I have lots of props you can try. If you have a 457 (2 & 3 blade), 460 (2 & 3 blade) and a Prather 250 & 255 you will have covered what 95% of the guys around here use. With some semi-pickles or roundnose boats you can sometimes run 1460, 1462, 1465 because they pack so much air, they will be wicked fast if you can keep them on the water....

Mike

Hi Doug,

2 bladed props give you a higher top end and 3 bladed props give you better acceleration and cornering speed (plus a smoother boat ride).

If you come to the test in Ellensberg I have lots of props you can try. If you have a 457 (2 & 3 blade), 460 (2 & 3 blade) and a Prather 250 & 255 you will have covered what 95% of the guys around here use. With some semi-pickles or roundnose boats you can sometimes run 1460, 1462, 1465 because they pack so much air, they will be wicked fast if you can keep them on the water....

Mike

Thanks Mike. I plan on being there, as long as the snow is gone!!

Most of the time a 3 blade prop will provide more lift to the back of the boat that lets it ride more stuck down. A 2 blade can give you more top end but can be hard to launch and may increase prop walk if your using a large size. It depends on course size and balance but starting out I would probably reccomend 3 blade to start. I find them a little more forgiving. X457/3 and X460/3 are usually a good place to start if you have the HP (CMB or Picco) I'm talking stock blades, cupping and back cutting is advanced class. Greg

Hi Doug,

Mike

Thanks Mike. I plan on being there, as long as the snow is gone!!

I heard that!! Global warming my butt!!! Not around here.

If you do get a couple of 457's you will also need to file the slot that the drive dog fits in to. Wear a mask and wash your hands afterwards.. Berullium is not good stuff to get into yourself.

Good info here but as stated, overall setup is the key. My family has run against boats with a little more SAW speed but generally our boats have the handling, the speed and with some driving experience we've maintained some consistency in being competitive.

90% of the time in most all conditions I go back to a 2 blade P255 SS prop that we mod a little. I seem to keep an off the corner acceleration advantage under most circumstances.

Bill

Bill,

The "off the corner accelleration" is due to the fuel tank location.

Best Regards,

Russ

P.S. If anyone needs a further explanation please email Geraghty.

Bill,
The "off the corner accelleration" is due to the fuel tank location.

Best Regards,

Russ

P.S. If anyone needs a further explanation please email Geraghty.

Interesting! If that's the case why doesn't Steve's Squire accellerate with me? You put his tanks in the same place!

Good info here but as stated, overall setup is the key. My family has run against boats with a little more SAW speed but generally our boats have the handling, the speed and with some driving experience we've maintained some consistency in being competitive.
90% of the time in most all conditions I go back to a 2 blade P255 SS prop that we mod a little. I seem to keep an off the corner acceleration advantage under most circumstances.

Bill
Hi Bill

Was wondering if you would share what mod you do to the P255 SS

i have a steve muck 108 72 notredame with and old picco .67 in it and i usually run a x455 or x457 3 blade at about 60 mph very smooth and consistent,shane

I think Bill takes off one of the blades, less surface in the water equals more acceleration right?

You sure about that David? I thought he cut the trailing edge off each blade to the half blade point. Something about less mass I think it was, though I could be wrong

You sure about that David? I thought he cut the trailing edge off each blade to the half blade point. Something about less mass I think it was, though I could be wrong
Bill let me look at the back of his boat the P stands for Proctor/Silex its a blender prop. No he would not let me see the bottom or even run my hands under the sponsons . Probably had some special sauce on them.......Mike

Bill
Hi Bill

Marty,

I am in awe that you took on the Chair of NAMBA.

I would be happy to share my mods with you or anyone else that wants to kick our rear ends. However, my son said if I did he would use his tazer on me.

Bill
Hi Bill

Marty,

I would be happy to share my mods with you or anyone else that wants to kick our rear ends. However, my son said if I did he would use his tazer on me.
Somehow Bill, I doubt Dave would do that. I think his wife would shoot him with it first for even thinking about it. BTW, has she hit you up for babysitting duty on race days yet?

Bill
Hi Bill

Marty,

Somehow Bill, I doubt Dave would do that. I think his wife would shoot him with it first for even thinking about it. BTW, has she hit you up for babysitting duty on race days yet?
That's why I bought a35 foot motorhome and bring Grandma.

:(

Bill
Hi Bill

Marty,

That's why I bought a35 foot motorhome and bring Grandma.

:(
Bill you can take a couple of tazer shots just show us one pic of the bottom,we will get Russ to show us the fuel tank :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back