Prop selection

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riche

I am about to buy an x440 for my boat. Should a pick up a prather 220 also?

Not sure why. Give me a reason.

I am sport running right now :ph34r: (when I have the time.)

Just looking to play around a maybe some suggestions from you guys would help me along the way.

I have a 28 WOF with a K&B on it.

Thanks,

Richard

if you are going to use a prather on a 3.5 you need to use a either a s-215 or b-215 i personly use use the s-215 i have about four of them pitched differance ways.you may not be able to turn that 220 that alot of prop for a 3.5 motor (k&b)octura i use an x438 or x440 pitch down

allen

Last edited:
I have a x437-3 and a 215.

The 215 seams get the revs up more. and less speed than my 437-3.

(by the eye-dar :huh: )

I was thinking that a 220 would have more bite. I guess it is time for me to learn how to tinker around a little more :unsure:

I guess you don't learn anything unless you screw it up first????

Thanks Allen

Stay to the smaller side and if needed you can always add more " Bite " cup !!!

The SX is a stronger motor with more muffler volume and can handle more prop....than the W/C or SS..

Butch

re: more muffler volumn

The SX and SS cannister mufflers are the same volumn. The newer muffers have a black center section. The new SS engines have the black center section cannister muffler.

JD

JD

I have not seen anything of the new SS.. all the pictures only show the older SS...

even on the K&B web site..

Jerry I will be testing this weekend and will Email you with what I find on the thing you sent...

Butchie :)

J.D.

I polished my x437 I read on your prop reviews about the finish.

Should I ruff up one side or both with 400 grit?

and is a x442 to much for my old W.C. Motor?

I saw that it was a little quicker with your set-up.

not that I think that the other props can't perform if you tweaked your setup???

Thanks

Richard

The X440 is a great prop to start with. If you are sport running it will give you good performance. when or if you start racing you will find that there are many options and custome props available and you have to be willing to spend the coin to try them and find out. We all that race have more props that don't work than ones that do. Greg Roth :)

Re: polished X-438

400 w/d paper would work to reduce a highly polished prop.

I ran X-442s with my old w/c K&Bs. However, warm weather and thin air make pulling a X-442 a challenge. Like Greg Roth stated, those of us who race have more props that don't work than one's that do.

JD

Thanks for the advice guy's

It is appreciated.

"warm weather and thin air make pulling a X-442 a challenge"

I probably won't mess with the 442 right now but I have to make a comment about thin air... I am in south Louisiana, and thin air shouldn't be a problem for me.

Heck one of the places I run my boat is practically at see level. I know b/c I set a bench mark on the bulkhead that I launch the boat from at an elevation of 4 ft. :blink:

And I have to lean over the edge at least 2 feat to launch... :D

thanks again!!!

Richard

Back