Promoting interest on an IMPBA pond

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osracer

How do you guys do it when you have an IMPBA pond and a person has to be an IMPBA member before he can put a boat on the water or drive someone else's. We would like to have an open house this year to try and generate new members. This would include letting interested people drive some of our members boats. Is their a way to make that happen without violating IMPBA's insurance rules.

Bill Wachtler

<h3 included="null" style="visibility: visible">

<span>Membership</span> Coverage</h3>

<p>All members in good standing will be covered at “sponsored, scheduled, and supervised activities.” <strong>This means the coverage is good at sanctioned and club races.</strong>  IMPBA insurance does cover boaters during open water and practice sessions as long as you are following the safety procedures outlined through the IMPBA, and such events take place on an IMPBA insured body of water only. IMPBA’ s policy is considered a primary policy and would cover any accidents or property damage that may occur on an IMPBA insured body of water.</p>

<p> </p>

<h3 included="null" style="visibility: visible">

<span>Non-Member</span> Coverage</h3>

<p>The insurance does not cover any person who is not a paid member of IMPBA regardless of what other club or organization he may belong. Paid members of other boating organizations may pay a one time $10.00 fee for membership dues during that event only. The application and payment must be mailed by the host club to the Executive Office of IMPBA the first working day after accepted.<br />

<br />

Therefore, no person may operate or assist in the operation of a model power boat, or enter the pit area, or operate a retrieve boat at any IMPBA sanctioned event on an IMPBA insured pond, and be covered by this insurance, unless he is a paid member of IMPBA.</p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

<p>So, I would take this as:  Since it's not a Sanctioned Club race and its just a fun/open event - that as long as the Dues weren't paid to IMPBA for your Sanctioned event - your not covered. Meaning that the people who show-up are on their own?</p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

Sorry, let's try this:

Membership Coverage

All members in good standing will be covered at “sponsored, scheduled, and supervised activities.” This means the coverage is good at sanctioned and club races. IMPBA insurance does cover boaters during open water and practice sessions as long as you are following the safety procedures outlined through the IMPBA, and such events take place on an IMPBA insured body of water only. IMPBA’ s policy is considered a primary policy and would cover any accidents or property damage that may occur on an IMPBA insured body of water.

Non-Member Coverage

The insurance does not cover any person who is not a paid member of IMPBA regardless of what other club or organization he may belong. Paid members of other boating organizations may pay a one time $10.00 fee for membership dues during that event only. The application and payment must be mailed by the host club to the Executive Office of IMPBA the first working day after accepted.

Therefore, no person may operate or assist in the operation of a model power boat, or enter the pit area, or operate a retrieve boat at any IMPBA sanctioned event on an IMPBA insured pond, and be covered by this insurance, unless he is a paid member of IMPBA.

heres the bottom line use your head. If you let someone run a boat make sure its a slower boat like a tunnel or rtr and stand close to help if a problem arises. No insurance but in the name of promoting the hobby its not unheard of. I did it just last year on a practice day. A kid called me on the phone and had bought a 21 tunnel. My son went thru the boat installed a new hobby king radio and we took him to the lake.Someone stood by him giving instruction the whole time. Yep if something would have happened it could be a problem. All that happened was the kid got a thrill maybe we will see him again......

I wouldnt risk my pond for that, and it wont happen in the SOMBC. We committed to the township that everyone that runs on our pond will be members of the IMPBA and that they will have the insurance etc. Thats the way it will always be with me I guess I am selfish but I see nothing to gain and a lot to lose by allowing that to happen.

I wouldnt risk my pond for that, and it wont happen in the SOMBC. We committed to the township that everyone that runs on our pond will be members of the IMPBA and that they will have the insurance etc. Thats the way it will always be with me I guess I am selfish but I see nothing to gain and a lot to lose by allowing that to happen.
Tony, that's the way IMPBA states it, and we also have a commitment to our land owner, which is a city property.

It gets tough to promote the hobby to new guys, they obviously wouldn't have IMPBA insurance, heck, they don't

even know it exists.In the past, we have let new guys run our boats , with supervision, tryin to get them interested, and they are

usually thrilled with the experience.But when we start talking insurance dues and club membership, they are gone.

I was brought into the IMPBA many years ago by guys that sparked my interest at the local pond, I only hope I can

do the same.Without new people, this hobby will die!

mark is right.. while i understand the reasons for insurance, and i understand what mikey has done ( i have as well ) there are to many things that make it to complicated for new people to get into the hobby.

bottom line i guess is use your own judgement.

Membership Coverage

All members in good standing will be covered at “sponsored, scheduled, and supervised activities.” This means the coverage is good at sanctioned and club races.

To answer Bill's question(and step in here anytime guys) Is what can he do to promote new members? Here's a senario: Let's suppose Bill went to our IMPBA supported pond on an off-day with a couple of kids to let them run boats. He didn't Call/Mail or notify IMPBA in any way. I suppose you could call this a "Supervised activity" but IMPBA doesn't know about it.. So, then one of the kids - chops his/her finger off.. Is this kid covered under IMPBA?? Probably not!! Senario #2. A group of IMPBA insured club members go to the same pond on a Tuesday and run tunnels..(Just a bunch of good ole racers).. Johnny runs his boat - up on shore and hits Ralph in the shin and breaks his leg.. Is Ralph covered under IMPBA? Not a sanctioned event/ Not supervised / but they are in good standing with IMPBA... This means the coverage is good at sanctioned and club races.

I wonder if Ralph filed a claim - if IMPBA would cover this? Maybe Kevin S. can shed some light.

I understand I can't do this. What I was hoping was that IMPBA may have something in place to allow it, that wasn't common knowledge. I would like to think that with the declining numbers facing our hobby that IMPBA would want to get out in front of it and make it easier for the clubs to recruit new members. I've been a member of IMPBA for many years and have raced all over the country. Times have changed and the thinking at IMPBA needs to change with the times. The insurance issue is a problem we face trying to get people to try our hobby, and how about charging a new member $10 more than an current member, that seems kind of backwards to me. Think about this and you will quickly see the problems we face. A new person stops by to watch and asks what he has to do to race. He is told first he has to join IMPBA that will be $60, then he has to join the club (our club charges new members $20 and renewing members $40), then he needs to get a boat. If he buys a RTR he can be on the water for $300 to $400, and then we charge $10 for an entry fee each time he races his boat. The result is that 99.9% of the time we never see him again. Our club is working hard to attract new members but we can only do so much without the help of our IMPBA leaders. I am not knocking IMPBA. I love being part of the organization, I just wish they could help us out a little. Having insurance that would cover supervised non members would be a start, even if it was something the club could purchase for an open house event. It wouldn't have to be an every day deal, that would probably get out of hand, but a one day deal might work if it was a sponsored event and applied for just like a sanctioned race.

I've vented enough now, I just hope it gets people thinking. Our hobby needs new faces (young ones) and without them it will continue it's decline. We need to make it easier. Bill

Well said Bill!! I too want new members in our club, and I'm willing to lend a hand any way I can. I agree that this is a complicated issue. Remembering this last summer when that Dad & his kid joined the club. Fortunately for the kid, his dad was able to plop all that money down - in a moments notice and allow him to race Electrics for that day.. Most other kids that want to join, don't have it as fortunate. Let's face it, this hobby is NOT cheap, but there should be some ways where we could minimize the costs...

This is a good topic. When i first got into boats, i didnt belong to a club, or IMPBA. I just had a strong desire to learn about the hobby, and put my first boat together which was a .45 mono. We did alot of fun running at a lake where there were IMPBA races held. Members and non members used to run there on week ends when races were not held. This was back in the 80s, before the sue happy society. I never recall one incident in the years that we ran boats their. Times sure have changed, and now the best place to take a new boater is a non sanctioned lake. Some guy or gal that wants to try out the hobby probably wont be interested in joining a club or a organization. Now days we still have people that like to watch our boats run, but when they find out the costs involved, they loose interest real fast. Richard D

This is a good topic. When i first got into boats, i didnt belong to a club, or IMPBA. I just had a strong desire to learn about the hobby, and put my first boat together which was a .45 mono. We did alot of fun running at a lake where there were IMPBA races held. Members and non members used to run there on week ends when races were not held. This was back in the 80s, before the sue happy society. I never recall one incident in the years that we ran boats their. Times sure have changed, and now the best place to take a new boater is a non sanctioned lake. Some guy or gal that wants to try out the hobby probably wont be interested in joining a club or a organization. Now days we still have people that like to watch our boats run, but when they find out the costs involved, they loose interest real fast. Richard D
"I never recall one incident in the years that we ran boats their." Dick, you must have had your back turned when Van was running his boats. :D :lol: :D I would like to applaud manufactures like Aqua-Craft and even Zipp Kits for doing what they can to attract new boaters.. It cuts the cost down considerably.

How about this. I get the $50 and $60 for membership to IMPBA. It's to get people like me to pay up before the racing season starts. Problem is it catches up new members in it. How about if IMPBA would invest in the future by charging $20 for a true new member. A club could also contribute by lowering their club fee. It could be set up that a club sponsored new membership would be $20. A club could then bundle a new members fee's. An example would be our club is $20 for a new member. We could charge $30 for a new member and give them a one year membership in IMPBA for free. After a year the person is going to be hooked or not but we eliminate the confusion of having to join two clubs and also the large up front expense. Think about it Bill

Excellent Bill... Thing is, will IMPBA sign on to this? It would be to IMPBA's advantage. However; since IMPBA is basically an Insurance policy, I'm sure that it would have to be studied - before they allowed it. ( i.e. will a new member get hurt more often than a regular member/etc.) I'm sure there are many factors that go into determining the insurance angle of covering things.

A kid can join for 10 bucks. But an adult must pay full bore unless its. September..now who pays when the nets are not out. It could be an issue at a club function as well

I remember the days when we used to get together and it was just come and run. I saw Van stand in the water and drive his own boat into his leg. This was an insured experienced member! Sorry guys I totally disagree with letting anyone drive a race boat just for fun and hope we set the hook and make him a racer. The day he comes to the pond and watches and asks the mandatory "how fast does it go and how much does it cost", mentally he is in or out. The best thing a club can do is show them you have an organization that will justify membership dues local and national. Tell him we get together once in a while and they hold races 200-400 miles away and it's over. Print business card club schedules with contact and membership info and hand him one and he see's your organized.

You work as a group for a site, pay for club equipment, retrieve boat, clock, drivers stand, fences and promise the property owner you will have and enforce insurance so he has no liability. Then risk it cause Johny and his dad say they "might" be interested?

If we are talking about actual racing competition and not just the building part of the hobby look for people who are racers. They may be racing some other form, cars ect. Over the years the guys who I have seen "stick" in this hobby had competition in their DNA prewired and just needed to see that events were availiable and would continue to be run in order for them to invest time and money. They need to know you'll be there and races will be held. The fees for insurance are minimal in comparison to overall expenses. A club can offer reduced membeership fees or free entry fee's but do not ask a national organization to make exceptions. Local clubs looking to expand need to show presence at hobby shops and mall shows and anyplace they can to attract people who will never find their well hidden race site. Good places to distibute those cards or brocures you printed. Racers are out there they just haven't found you yet. The person who has the fortitude to build, make mistakes, lose heats and come back again with better mouse traps is the one who you have for the long run. Do not make it too easy as you want people who can jump through some hoops. Unless you want to run the club,CD,score and wipe noses all by yourself. Miami has one of the best clubs I have seen and you don't just join and pay dues. You work at club events or your out.

If you want to mentor someone and bring them into the hobby thats fine. You decide on the prequalifications and after a few years you see why we have rules and dues.

Mic

Last edited by a moderator:
The AMA offers a half priced membership called a "Park flyer” Membership.

One promising development for the model boating community is the Google Map for Model Boat Pond Locations. LINK Clubs can show where they are on the map and advertise for free. It also serves non-affiliated sport boaters by helping them find non-affiliated ponds to run at… Ponds where they are likely to meet others like them playing with toy boats. The non-sanctioned ponds that appear on the map may also prove to be good places to do recruiting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back