Project Hydro Plow II

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcboatlover

Hey guys I finaly finished my Dumas Little Raskel. I followed the plans to the letter and gave it a HB .12 engine. I took it to the pond today and as you can tell from the title it wasn't good. I had the same problem as PJ's hydro. It just plowed the water and only got on plane for a second or two. :'(

I heard about PJ's problems after it was too late. I had the boat painted and almost ready to go so I diden't want to cut it apart and change the strut as he had to do. I'm going to try a few different props tomorrow and see what happenes. I might even take off the turn fin to reduce drag. I'll let you guys know if it works.

It just made me kinda mad that the kit doesn't work like it should.

I hate to hear that, Dude... :(

I was hoping my problem was the weight of the electric starter and water cooling....

It don't make sense...the boat was designed for a .10 engine years ago. Today's engines put out gobs more power.

What does it weigh and what prop are you using?

I don't know the weight yet, I'm going to bring it to the UPS Store this week and see. As for the prop my local hobbie store dosn't have much in stock, so I was stuck having to buy a plastic prop that is made for the Bud light .15 hydro. I thought it might work since it was made for a hydroplane, but it just caught too much air.

I'm going to take it out again today and try a few of my brothers props. He has a x427, cut down x440 and a cut down x440 three blade. I took off the turn fin to reduce the drag on the boat. I think it will make a big difference.

So what ever happened to yours? Did you get it to run good?

Ummmm...........well......................right now it's holding up some books on a shelf. :-

I WAS planning to get an air-cooled .12 for it, but now I'm not sure. May just strip it and get a more modern design to play with.

I briefly entertained the idea of stuffing a .21 in it :eek: ..........briefly.

PJ,

Get ya a Blizzard from Peter, round 50 bucks I think, slam that motor of yours in it, or a FF or HH .12, Dude ya need ta get a boat in the water ;) ;D

Built the Dumas "Little Rascal" 15-16 years ago and still have it. I powered mine with a plain bearing O.S. 10 converted to water cooling. I think it was in 1986 or 87

my best friend, Gary Cockerill, set the IMPBA 1/3 mile oral record with it; 34.23 seconds, 35.057 mph. I used Cox fuel (70% nitro) with an Octura X432 stock prop. I also used a header & pipe set up for the the O.S. 10 that was avaiable for it at the time, by I beleieve MAC. Will propably run her again soon, might upgrade to oner of the .12 car motors.

Buy the way guys, my turn fin on my "Little Rascal" only extends below the sponson a mere 1/2", it is made from 1/32" aluminium sheet and is sharpend.

I hear ya Gene. Too many irons in the fire.

But I AM working on one for a friend. Can you guess what I'm doing with the last tunnel I picked up?

um, it looks like you are going to turn it into an air boat. :p What size engine are you going to put on it?

OS .40 Max FP swinging a 10-7. He got a plane, crashed it first time out, and wanted to know what to do with the stuff left over. I said, "Gimme!"

Watch out for that prop! I watched two guys on the same day, same boat cut their hands up.. One didn't go to the hospital (no insurance :p was his excuse) and the other did.. The one that didn't has two fingers that won't move... :-X

Mark...

Ok I took off the turn fin and tried it again. The engine starts easily and runs great on the dock, but it kept on stalling five feet from the dock. I played with the needle but it diden't make a difference. Same thing every time. Ant ideas? The fuel tubing is all new as well as the tank, so there isn't any leaks for air to enter. The only possible problem I see is the muffler. The engine came with one, but it really only looks like a manifold. Just a simple 90 and a exaust deflector on the end of it. Do you think this is causing it to run lean and stall? I think it will go if I can get the engine to stay running.

PJ. You stole my idea!!! I have a U-71 Van Lines hydro that needs an engine and running gear. I was thinking about putting a air plane engine on it instead. Thought it would be alot easier! What boat is that? Looks like a Dumas Van Lines U-1?

first thing I would do, is to make sure that all the bolts on the engine are tight. it might be sucking air from somewhere. just a guess though.

Good thought, I check them. It almost acts like the prop is too big, but it's just alittle plastic one. I get the engine wond up pretty good and then launch it. It starts plowing water, then right as it's getting on plane the engine bogs down and dies. Just before it dies, it is running real good at a decent RPM. I have a TRX .15 that I might try if I can't get this one to go. It would take alot of work to switch them though.

It works! It works! ;D

I went to the pond today and played around with it again. I had to set the needle real rich to keep it from stalling at launch, I think I need a smaller prop.

When it hit the water it hopped up on to plane and took off. It was alittle slow due to the prop, but it was driveable. I made it around the whole cource! I think with alittle more tinkering it will be a good boat. If not it's off to E-Bay! ;)

Congrats RCBL! Good news indeed...

Propjockey Racing...I finally saw the light at the end of tunnel...it was a train. :eek:

Back