Production 45 and 90 outrigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan_Cousin

I'm considering a boat purchase for D and F hydro.

Already on the list are of course RR and SGX.

I'd like to hear opinions on other boats out there and how they heat race compared to these two.

Up for consideration but I don't have much information on are

Crapshooter ($$$$$)

UFO (?)

Taipan (?)

Others?

To not get off into a we-we match please send me a private message with your opinions. (use the PM button under my name)

Dan_Cousin said:

I'd like to hear opinions on other boats out there and how they heat race compared to these two.

Crapshooter ($$$$$)

UFO (?)

Taipan (?)

Others?

To not get off into a we-we match please send me a private message with your opinions.  (use the PM button under my name)

100018[/snapback]

I would go with the sgx. I saw John Brown's 45 and 67 in Atlanta, and man what a sight. The best by far for handling and speed. And the water was rough!!!! The boat stayed glued to the water and was blistering fast. ;)

nitro junky said:
Dan_Cousin said:

Crapshooter ($$$$$)

UFO (?)

Taipan (?)

Others?

To not get off into a we-we match please send me a private message with your opinions.  (use the PM button under my name)

100018[/snapback]

I would go with the sgx. I saw John Brown's 45 and 67 in Atlanta, and man what a sight. The best by far for handling and speed. And the water was rough!!!! The boat stayed glued to the water and was blistering fast. ;)

100042[/snapback]

And that statement came from a guy who I think owns a Crapshooter. ;)

Sorry couldn't resist....... :p

Dan,

My first suggestion would be a Crapshooter, but there is that "production" part you mentioned. Crapshooters are VERY hard to come by. If I hadn't lucked across an older one for sale, I wouldn't have the one I've got. I've since updated it to current issue. Personally, I've never seen any boat run like a Crapshooter, not even the knock-offs. Yes, they are a bit on the spendy side, but when you consider that what is in the box is just about everything you need to complete the kit, it's not that much higher than any other "production" boat available.

I'd suggest looking around for a used Crapshooter that's been taken care of. Once you've got it, Stu will support it with parts and guidance.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Don Ferrette said:
nitro junky said:
Dan_Cousin said:

Crapshooter ($$$$$)

UFO (?)

Taipan (?)

Others?

100018[/snapback]

100042[/snapback]

100061[/snapback]

Don, I knew you couldnt resist. I do own a crapshooter and it runs very well. And John's boats runs better than any boat I have ever seen. Very fast and stable in all conditions. By the way, hows that 21 SGX? Did Andy get it going for ya?

How do the SGX boats that are not setup by the proud papas (Browns) run. A lot of the boat builders can build a great boat in their sleep.

I'm interested in if the setup instructions are followed to the letter, how do the boats run?

nitro junky said:
Don Ferrette said:
nitro junky said:
Dan_Cousin said:

Crapshooter ($$$$$)

UFO (?)

Taipan (?)

Others?

100018[/snapback]

100042[/snapback]

100061[/snapback]

Don, I knew you couldnt resist. I do own a crapshooter and it runs very well. And John's boats runs better than any boat I have ever seen. Very fast and stable in all conditions. By the way, hows that 21 SGX? Did Andy get it going for ya?

100085[/snapback]

Dan_Cousin said:
How do the SGX boats that are not setup by the proud papas (Browns) run.  A lot of the boat builders can build a great boat in their sleep. 
I'm interested in if the setup instructions are followed to the letter, how do the boats run?

100090[/snapback]

Well all my SGX boats except for my 20 were purchased as new 90% kits & set up "to the letter". They are all very fast & very stable. Ditto for my partner Mr. Finch, his 45 & 67 SGX boats run in the 80s in true heat race form. My 20 boat was a used boat & while alot of people would be real happy with a rock solid 68mph heat race 20, it took a trip to Florida to find out why it wasn't running 75+ like it should. The problem(s) were not noticeable by eye, even for Andy when he looked it over at Atlanta. At Andy's suggestion it went back to Florida with him & once in the CMDi shop only with careful scrutiny did the solution(s) become apparent. (I'll say again that the smaller the boat the more exacting the set up) If you choose an SGX boat I strongly recommend spending the extra for the 90% build level kit as it makes set up sooo much easier, all the hard (& critical) stuff is done for you. I am totally happy with my SGX's & will be adding 2 more to the stable very soon. B)

GOOD info Don.

Thanks.

What do you think of the toughness of the SGX compared to other boats. I saw one in Slidell that the nose broke off when it hit a wave. I don't know what happened before that moment but it did cach my attention.

I'm a bit rough on boats and boueys. :) Not looking for indestructable just not extra fragile either.

Don Ferrette said:
Dan_Cousin said:
How do the SGX boats that are not setup by the proud papas (Browns) run.  A lot of the boat builders can build a great boat in their sleep. 

100090[/snapback]

Well all my SGX boats except for my 20 were purchased as new 90% kits & set up "to the letter". They are all very fast & very stable. Ditto for my partner Mr. Finch, his 45 & 67 SGX boats run in the 80s in true heat race form. My 20 boat was a used boat & while alot of people would be real happy with a rock solid 68mph heat race 20, it took a trip to Florida to find out why it wasn't running 75+ like it should. The problem(s) were not noticeable by eye, even for Andy when he looked it over at Atlanta. At Andy's suggestion it went back to Florida with him & once in the CMDi shop only with careful scrutiny did the solution(s) become apparent. (I'll say again that the smaller the boat the more exacting the set up) If you choose an SGX boat I strongly recommend spending the extra for the 90% build level kit as it makes set up sooo much easier, all the hard (& critical) stuff is done for you. I am totally happy with my SGX's & will be adding 2 more to the stable very soon. B)

100101[/snapback]

Last edited by a moderator:
Dan_Cousin said:
GOOD info Don.
Thanks.

What do you think of the toughness of the SGX compared to other boats.  I saw one in Slidell that the nose broke off when it hit a wave.  I don't know what happened before that moment but it did cach my attention.

I'm a bit rough on boats and boueys.  :)   Not looking for indestructable just not extra fragile either.

100108[/snapback]

What do you mean by the nose? Are you referring to just the nose block glued on to the tub or the tub itself? Where did it break?

Having raced against Eagle sgx , Crapshooters, Humming birds and a number of own designs would have to say that products from CMDI are hard to match for consistency and quality.

But OK i am very biased in my opinion as i build Taipan hydros i just recently released the 21 Taipan and first time out with a standard MAC 21 and SPP td21 pipe the boat was timed at 73.2 mph and was very stable at that speed. The 45 Taipan with a MAC 45 consistently at 80 mph easy to drive and stable.

The Taipan 67 80 also runs consistently in 75 + mph and is a joy to drive but this is my opinion.

Ozzy

Yup,

The block just in front ofthe fuel cell. Looked like a balsa block broke right infront of the front boom. John told the guy just super glue it and he'd be back in business.

Don Ferrette said:
Dan_Cousin said:
GOOD info Don.
Thanks.

What do you think of the toughness of the SGX compared to other boats.  I saw one in Slidell that the nose broke off when it hit a wave.  I don't know what happened before that moment but it did cach my attention.

I'm a bit rough on boats and boueys.  :)   Not looking for indestructable just not extra fragile either.

100108[/snapback]

What do you mean by the nose? Are you referring to just the nose block glued on to the tub or the tub itself? Where did it break?

100109[/snapback]

Dan_Cousin said:
Yup,
The block just in front ofthe fuel cell.  Looked like a balsa block broke right infront of the front boom.  John told the guy just super glue it and he'd be back in business.

100147[/snapback]

Heck I've knocked those off my Roadrunners too. No big deal really. :)

I'm hearing a lot of good feedback on the Taipan.

Which hardware are your guys using. Will speedmaster strut and rudder work on them or do they need special hardware like CMDI sells?

What hardware comes with the kit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dan,

Our Tiapans are set up with both Speedmaster and CMDI parts. I must tell you that i have not yet been able to complete my tiapan and so the Australia 45 boat is going to be making its way to the US for me to run at this years IMPBA international regatta. As it is the Tiapan that i will be racing will have the new RPM motor in it if all goes well this summer with the remaining motor testing.

You can see a few pictures of the boat at www.grimracer.com.. if you like i can send you a few pictures of the stages of where mine is at now.

ROCK ON

grim

Crapshooter

Spend the Money!

If you consider The Quality! and the componets that come with the Kit

these are a Good Buy!

Gregg David

Dan_Cousin said:
GOOD info Don.
Thanks.

Don Ferrette said:
Dan_Cousin said:

100090[/snapback]

100101[/snapback]

100108[/snapback]

Dan, I saw John Brown SLAM his 21 SGX into the bank at about 50-60 mph in Atlanta. Didnt hurt it a bit!!!

Carbonman said:
Crapshooter
Spend the Money!

If you consider The Quality! and the componets that come with the Kit

these are a Good Buy!

Gregg David

100169[/snapback]

It is a good buy, but getting one is the problem. Not everyone can get a shooter

It is a good buy, but getting one is the problem. Not everyone can get a shooter
This is why I said to look around for a USED one that's been taken care of. There are those who CAN get them, and they usually get a new on every couple of years. Look around and find somebody like this and see if you can pry one out of their hands. You'll be glad you did.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Back