Prather prop alloy

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kez

All,

Getting ready for sharpen and balance a Prather 240 prop. Judging by the color of the prop, it does not look like Copper Beryllium. Does anyone know if the alloy contains beryllium?

Thanks,
kez

Prather offered their props in at least three different metals. I have a Prather 235 in stainless. I also have a few other sizes in what appeared to be copper beryllium and bronze. If the bronze prop has beryllium in it, I will use special precaution when I work it

Thanks,
k

Don't think I've ever seen anything other than the silver colored props! Surprised with all the old props I have none of them are the Beryllium!! Yeah. if they are anything other than silver in color, I definitely would use some precaution!!

Kez,

The stainless steel is worst than the little bit of beryllium in any of the other Prather propellers. All of those metals are no good for you.

Be Cautious Working With Them All,

Mark Sholund

Mark,
I have always used only hand tools such as files to work my props. It would be easier if I used a Dremel with a sanding disk. But I do not have the proper set up. While I enjoy making my own parts, I have come to the conclusion that I will enjoy running my boats more if I enlist help from those who offer prop service.
Thanks,,
k

Back