Prather Classic 67

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it used to have this pipe the 6920
527638-0-2079.jpg
any one know if its worth it to search one out?
Rob, there are plenty of other good pipes around. No need to look for that particular OPS pipe.

If Norm Teague was the guy who set that boat up, chances are it'll be very good... From what I remember, Norm went fast! I still have a 40 size Prather hull like yours, with the older style deck. I much prefer the looks of that one, to the later deck. Anyway, they're a great hull, in my opinion. They weren't as popular as some gel-coated hulls, 'cause that epoxy-glass was a bit of work to fill and paint; lots of tiny bubbles and pinholes. Nice thing about them though, was that they were very tough, and could be built lighter than then most of the polyester hulls around then (if you don't overpaint them). I think they turn quite well, and are still pretty fast on the straights; I like 'em.

Oh; I wouldn't use the Prather hardware... It can be made to work OK, but it's not a classy solution. Get yourself some nice Speedmaster (or similar) hardware. I used Tidewater's hardware when I set my Prather up in the mid '80s. Speedmaster's is probably even nicer. BTW- I believe I still have my original instruction book or sheets for the 40 Prather, if you need some setup info.

Duane

Ok So ive had this boat since 88'ish. My dad tells me it was built by Norm Teauge. So I have found it, and it looks nothing like it used too. It was emron red, with the gray futaba servos, and a canister pipe. So far I have found the original prather running hardware kit in New Zealand and the original engine, OPS 60. What im missing is the plastic covers for the radio box and a pipe and collet, mostly. I got everything else for it. It looks like its going to be a project. I have never been able to find any mono hull out there that looks like this or anyone who has one. Went to the end of the internet and back, this is what was found today-- http://hyperprod.bizhosting.com/_classic_21_mono.html There was a post from Hyperformance about all the hulls they had from prather.So any help with this would be great. Here she is today.
monoproject009.jpg

monoproject006.jpg

monoproject010.jpg

What Pipe, ops 6920, 6280?

Paint?

Prop?

Anything anyone else can tell me about this boat?

Thanks
i raced with norm in the mid 80's he was the most anal person i have ever seen his boats ran perfect and looked out of this world a true craftsman!

Shane? Its Rob.... Yeah the boat used to be beautiful and flawless, till a cousin decided he would hang on to it for me. I got to get some covers for the radio box. Any sugjestions on where to find the acrylic/lexan or use carbon fiber sheets? Anyone?
Parma makes .060" Lexan sheets. 8"x10" Around $4.50? Check a few hobby shops. Good luck, Glenn

Shane? Its Rob.... Yeah the boat used to be beautiful and flawless, till a cousin decided he would hang on to it for me. I got to get some covers for the radio box. Any sugjestions on where to find the acrylic/lexan or use carbon fiber sheets? Anyone?
barber?

Ahh, the Prather 40" Deep Vee. The first boat my father and I built together. We set it up to instructions and ran 54mph with an OS 65. Fun boat, but was a little tricky to get to lay down in the turns. Wish we knew about surface drive back then. Always wondered how it would have run....Yup thats me in the pic.

Larry Gempp Jr.

Last edited by a moderator:
rob who?

Shane, Rob is the guy that runs the black bonzi with flames, and the white nitro missvegas with a CMB.

Last edited:
Guys I have a 40" prather mono I picked up from Kevin Clements but I think it is the later one. I am planning on totally rerigging it with speedmaster hardware and a cmb.67 but I need some suggestions as to which of the speedmaster hardware to use on it as far as which rudder, trim tabs, and turnfin. Would you guys suggest 3/16 or 1/4 drive for this setup? What % should I set the CG at? Any other suggestions or help would also be welcomed.

Jeff Lee

Guys I have a 40" prather mono I picked up from Kevin Clements but I think it is the later one. I am planning on totally rerigging it with speedmaster hardware and a cmb.67 but I need some suggestions as to which of the speedmaster hardware to use on it as far as which rudder, trim tabs, and turnfin. Would you guys suggest 3/16 or 1/4 drive for this setup? What % should I set the CG at? Any other suggestions or help would also be welcomed.
Jeff Lee
If you plan to run it surface drive the .67 will be WAY too much. The strake makeup of the boat on the bottom almost requires that it be subsurface in order to handle it at all. I had one and anything above about 40 and you will loose it if you are not VERY careful. 45 would be max with subsurface. It has a lifting bottom on it.

Curt

Back