Pigment

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Radz

Good Morning!

I was at the local marine supply store & picked up some West Systems pigment. Anyone ever try this? What kind of results did you have?

Later!!!

Ed Radz

I was at my local West Marine yesterday and saw the same stuff. If I'm not mistaken, you add that pigment to their epoxy to make gelcoat of whatever color you want. Even though I've read about it, I've never used it because I haven't ever had a gelcoat repair.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tried mixing the pigment with polyester resin and not epoxy. You would need to add more catalyst (MEK peroxide) to the resin with the pigment. (Not sure if you do the same for epoxy though). They can also be added to the gel-coat. I have had good results.

I have also tried to repair chipped gel-coat with the pigment but found that the color will not match properly.

Kez

What I will be doing is sealing a wood boat. If adding pigment gives it a gel coated look, I've just eliminated a step, which is automotive paint! I'll be using West Systems 105 resin & 205 hardener. Whatcha think?

Later!

Ed Radz

Ed Radz said:
What I will be doing is sealing a wood boat. If adding pigment gives it a gel coated look, I've just eliminated a step, which is automotive paint! I'll be using West Systems 105 resin & 205 hardener. Whatcha think?        Later!

Ed Radz

72715[/snapback]

Using the 205 will make the epoxy a bit thicker and it has a darker tint, 206 is thinner and clearer. they have a 207 for clearcoating You may be able to brush the colored resin on thin enough to cover with out thin spots or having to sand too much back off. Not sure how you could spray colored West epoxy.

Ed, I was thinking of doing the same thing in my engine compartments. I actually want to cover the wood with color because the wood engine compartments tend to make the boats look "old" :unsure: . You know, kinda like grandpa built it sometime in the sixties!

My only concern has to do with UV degredation of the epoxy. On the other hand, how much sunlight actually hits our boats? It's not like they sit out in the sun day after day so it may not be a factor. A great solution would be to give the engine compartment the same clearcoat that you shoot over your boat's final paint job.

What I will be doing is sealing a wood boat. If adding pigment gives it a gel coated look, I've just eliminated a step, which is automotive paint! I'll be using West Systems 105 resin & 205 hardener. Whatcha think?
Ed,

What you wanted to do has been done before. See this thread: http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showto...r++towel++epoxy

I remember seeing a thread where MikeP used pigmented epoxy to replace spray painting but I can not find the thread.

Although I have not tried using Mike's method on wood hull, I believe it will work very well and will try it on my next project.

Hope this helps.

Kez

I've been having good results spraying polyester resin thinned with acetone .Its cheap and pigments are readily available.
newpaint.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a .12 rigger using black pigment for the tub and orange for the sponsons. You need to mix alot of pigment and brush it on thick to get it to cover wood grain.

A foam brush worked best for me. Several coats and block sand in between. After 600 grit you can rub in a little clear epoxy with a paper towell for a glossy finish.

MikeP

Latest posts

Back