Pictures of transom of 1986 7-11 hydro

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it was a modern boat you are working on, I've seen that, on the 0706 hull(Goodman Real Estate this year), the prop is actually 6" behind the rear edge of the boat's bottom or 7" behind the transom, IIRC. The earlier boats all had the prop under the rear of the hull. Not sure where the prop is on the 8410 but I did find this, if it will help:
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcuniverse.com-vbulletin/750x322/2406a796471ee3ed6ca7b2082126ea81_5b34c3994c0cfd354466e2097a73f33b32dcd05a.jpg

Sure it did, Mike. Look at the picture I posted, shows the prop under the boat, not behind it. If that picture is accurate, it answers his question. It really depends on if he trusts it or not. Here's the problem with the pictures Phil posted. Both are at an angle so the actual location of the prop isn't really shown, as is the Pak's prop in this shot:
gopr0277_8fc8120b51a8eb91bbb5b115ae0c5cf810e91ef8.jpg

This shot, however, shows where the prop is in relation to the transom:
images

Mark the picture you posted was a artist rendering not even the real boat

I know. That's why I said "If he trusts it". All the boats I've seen, from that era, had the prop under the boat so I tend to believe the picture is at least somewhat accurate. At the same time, pictures taken from an angle don't normally give accurate information

Safe to say drive dog goes under boat
Actually no it can protrude slightly past. Remember those struts were angled towards the back on both front and rear. I will look for more pics but if I'm remembering correctly (a guy here in D12 had one years back) you should be good with end of strut even with transom.
711.jpg

I know. That's why I said "If he trusts it". All the boats I've seen, from that era, had the prop under the boat so I tend to believe the picture is at least somewhat accurate. At the same time, pictures taken from an angle don't normally give accurate information
Mark, the majority of the piston powered ones did but starting in mid 80's the props started getting pushed past the transom with the more powerful turbines.

I knew it was somewhere in that time frame, just didn't know if the 8410 was one of those that was included. That was why I said, in my first post "Not sure where the prop is on the 8410 but I did find this, if it will help".
I know the 8408 Executone hull, built in the same time period and pretty much along side the Turbine Atlas by Jim Lucero, had the prop under the boat when it was first built. For all we know, the strut and prop shaft could have been changed when that boat was "turbinized" before the 1987 season. When you consider how much the "tech" changed from 1980 to 1995, it's hard to tell what was changed(other than paint jobs) and what wasn't from one race to the next

Quick question... I admit, I don't know much about scales,,, but what do the 4 numbers before the hull notation denote?

Is it the model of the real boat hull or is it specifically just for our models?

And if a team use the same hull for different paint schemes, does it get assigned a new number? What is the criteria for assigning a new number to an existing hull ?

Thanks,
Frank

Are you talking about the numbers I posted, 8410 and 8408? If so, it identifies what hull the boat is/was when it first went on the water. To give you a few examples:
  • 7325 is the 1973 Pay'N Pak. 73 is the year it first was run and 25 is the U-number the boat carried
  • 7701 is the first blue Atlas, driven by Bill Muncey. It first ran in 1977 and was the U-1 that year. The U-1 was significant because the Atlas team had won the season high points in 1976 with the Pay'N Pak hull so the new hull could run as the U-1.
  • 8200 was the second Blue Atlas, driven by Chip Hanauer. It first raced in 1982 and carried the number U-00
The reason this is important is:
  • the Pak carried U-25, U-1, U-76 and U-6 through it's 16 year racing career
  • the 1977 Atlas carried U-1 and U-00 through it's 5 year racing career
  • The 1982 Atlas carried U-00, U-1, U-2 and U-14 through its 15 year racing career
  • All boats are listed in the Master Hull Roster by their hull number, the year(s) it raced raced and then by the "G" or "U" number and name going back to 1927. Most of the boats also have the dimensions and major hull changes listed as well. The MHR can show multiple names a given boat raced under in a single season or a name used by multiple boats over several years. Oberto is one that can be really confusing as it was the sponsor of two boats at one race more than once

Last edited:
Check the rule book. I proposed one years ago and it got approved.
Sam you never addressed the whole drive dog debate
"7. The drive dog must not extend beyond the transom unless the prototype's strut and/or drive dog did so. Photo documentation may be requested for proof by race CD or district scale director. a. The drive dog may extend only a maximum of one and one-half (1.5) inches beyond the transom on boats that have documentation."

Are you talking about the numbers I posted, 8410 and 8408? If so, it identifies what hull the boat is/was when it first went on the water. To give you a few examples:
  • 7325 is the 1973 Pay'N Pak. 73 is the year it first was run and 25 is the U-number the boat carried
  • 7701 is the first blue Atlas, driven by Bill Muncey. It first ran in 1977 and was the U-1 that year. The U-1 was significant because the Atlas team had won the season high points in 1976 with the Pay'N Pak hull so the new hull could run as the U-1.
  • 8200 was the second Blue Atlas, driven by Chip Hanauer. It first raced in 1982 and carried the number U-00
The reason this is important is:
  • the Pak carried U-25, U-1, U-76 and U-6 through it's 16 year racing career
  • the 1977 Atlas carried U-1 and U-00 through it's 5 year racing career
  • The 1982 Atlas carried U-00, U-1, U-2 and U-14 through its 15 year racing career
  • All boats are listed in the Master Hull Roster by their hull number, the year(s) it raced raced and then by the "G" or "U" number and name going back to 1927. Most of the boats also have the dimensions and major hull changes listed as well. The MHR can show multiple names a given boat raced under in a single season or a name used by multiple boats over several years. Oberto is one that can be really confusing as it was the sponsor of two boats at one race more than once

Thanks Mark!
Very informative, and yes I was asking about the 4 digit number you spoke of.
I never knew about the year/ U number.. now it makes sense to me...

Back