Pictures of the 77/78 Miss madison

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like it, though the brown outer stripes could have been wider. Is that the 20 or 40 sized Dumas hull?

Mike, I'm pretty old school... Hey, But the dream a cured to me one night; what if you took the old hull we ran back in the day, and put a modern power plant in it. I'm running a CMB HR with a AB Parabolic and a M 547 prop. I just got back from a race at the badgers and man was this thing a rocket! It kept right with the leaders. Too bad i blew two starts and had a DNS due to a blown plug. But , ask Kenny It ran great! It is 2 Lbs lighter than the old Phil SST with the same power as that had......... It keeps the old heart racing too! I love it.....

Mike, I'm pretty old school... Hey, But the dream a cured to me one night; what if you took the old hull we ran back in the day, and put a modern power plant in it. I'm running a CMB HR with a AB Parabolic and a M 547 prop. I just got back from a race at the badgers and man was this thing a rocket! It kept right with the leaders. Too bad i blew two starts and had a DNS due to a blown plug. But , ask Kenny It ran great! It is 2 Lbs lighter than the old Phil SST with the same power as that had......... It keeps the old heart racing too! I love it.....
Yeah I was thinking the same thing as I looked at my pak sport 20 versus my finlay 12th. scale u25 turbine.There are differences between the two but i dont know how much more "technologically advanced" the finlay hull is. All I see was ride pads added to the sponsons and a longer shallower tunnel on the finlay. Dont get me wrong my finlay scoots. I havent run the sport 20 yet but certainly weight permitting it should be able to compete at the hands of the right driver and powerplant.

Im a dumas fan anyway as it was the first scale I built and could afford. That doesnt mean that I dont love PT boats ,aeromarines,newtons,finlays etc; But dumas hulls get slammed by just about everyone it seems.The people there are nice too, and very helpful I just wonder are we a little to critical of dumas boats at times?I never had a single problem getting support from dumas. If dumas would simply move all their models to laser cuts I think they would gain some popularity back.

Hugh, the problems with the Dumas kits are the materials, sloppy fitting slots and the die cutting. When you compare the die cut mahogany to the available materials, Dumas is giving the builder second rate stuff. I personally wouldn't try to race a Dumas boat against the newer hulls, regardless if they are glass, lazer cut kits or from plans. I'm currently building a Dumas 30" Pak and compared to the remanufactured kit that I'm also building, the Dumas factory kit just doesn't cut it

Last edited by a moderator:
How this boat came about! This guy brought it to the pond in a state of 1/2 built asking if anyone wanted it. It had a .40 irvine side exhaust a solid aluminum motor mount and all the heavy hardware. Remember i build boats from scratch! been doing it for 20 years... and i had one of these 18 years ago. The Dumas Kit is only partially present in this boat. this was the atlas boat when i got it. not the pay n pack! I completely rebuilt it using the pay n pack plans. and using 1/16th aircraft ply. Not the mahogony included. I will post construction photos!

DSCN1011.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh90/BigALwins/DSCN1010.jpg

That is the second boat kit I ever built then. Not sure if it was my inexperience or what, but the empty hull weighed in at close to 8 pounds. Never could get it to really run so I ended up giving it to a friend's son as a toy after taking the hardware and engine out of the boat. Part of that same hardware is in a scaled down Pak hull I built from Newton plans. All that's left to get it on the water is install the radio and build a cowl/cockpit, something else to take care of after I get home from my road trip next month

Great point HJ. Hey al, I see you have made the horizontal stablizer adjustable. Have you played with the adjustments at all? If you did what your take on what it does to the ride attitude of the boat.Also guys how does the cowl detach? Do you have to cut the former away after it constructed. That part is not very clear in the plans.Al it looks like yours comes off in one big peice from nose to tail. It that the case? Did you guys stick with the solid shaft setup or did you go to a flex shaft?

Last edited:
Hugh, Dumas boats include the framing for the cowl as part of the cross frames. IF you build the boat per the instructions, then yes, you have to cut the frames to remove the cowl. In the case of the Dumas design, the cowl is actually cut into three sections:

A fixed nosecowl, this is where the fuel tank is designed to go

a removable center(engine cover) section

an optional cockpit and tail section, which is supposed to cover most of the radio box

Mine will have the three section cowl so I don't have to remove the cockpit or the tail braces every time I go to start the boat. The reason I mentioned tail braces is mine will be outside the cowl rather than between the tails like on the full sized boat. In the case of the Atlas, which he has modified, the cowl is only two pieces, the cockpit/fuel tank area and the engine cover with an integrated rear deck. Due to the cabover design, this was the easiest way to go on the Atlas, though I'm not a fan of the rear deck having no real support as mine twisted due to lack of any support. Getting back to the Paks, mine will also have one other difference, the radio will be under the nosecowl instead of behind the engine and under the cockpit

Yes, the cowl is one big piece, it hooks over the front and is held in the back by four rare earth magnets. and as an after thought i added one grimracer cowl lock... the radio box was a tight fit. the engine and the radio box are all up front and there are two round sullivan 6 oz. tanks on each side just behind the engine mounts. I make alot of this stuff up as i go on during the design and construction with fore thought towards how the boat should balance. This hull design was always a rear dragger! on the real boat the horizontal fin in the back adjusted the attack angle so i thought for good reason. on this scaled down boat you would not think it would do much.... In the last race i adjusted and gave the rear wing more attack angle and at top speed it actually caused the front sponsons to dig a little at full throttle on the back straight into the wind. so my theory is the rear wing does the same as the front wing only it's not a canard but a conventional rear elevator!

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh90/BigALwins/DSCN1378.jpg

Latest posts

Back