picco mods

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

hey guys maybe someone can help I have the p45 exr made back in 2000.I read a dyno article through MWD&assc. and they took some o.s. parts and put them in the picco.which parts were they?

The only OS parts that we run on the Blackhead P45 is the OS40a carb with sonme slight modifications, and the in flight needle. We also run RPM rods as we have had bad luck with the stock ones , and either CMB or OPS wrist pin clips.

well from what I got from the article they used the drum,backplate and I think the 9b carb but that is what I am trying to find out.thanks for the info.

well I know what the intake and exhaust timing is but don`t know if the o.s. carb will fit the old picco and I did break the stock rod and replaced it with an RPM rod,however the wrist pin clips are still stock.has there been a problem with the stock clips?

Any credit for the engines belongs to Ron VanWagnen as he modifies all of our engines and is a master machinist and engine builder. The stock clips are weaker than the CMB or OPS and have let go in the past. The mod for the carb is really just machining a bit of material off of the drum so that the 40a fits flush. Tony J

thanks for the tip on the clips.the 40a carb will not work on the older style picco engine because the carb is a bolt on and my carb is a slide in.I will take a chance and buy the o.s. back plate,drum and the 9b carb and see what I can get from that.where can I get myself some of those clips?

I'm assuming that you have the disc valve exr. The O.S. drum housing requires some machining to get it in the case far enough to engage the crank pin. The mounting ears get pretty thin. I did one for a guy several years ago and it ran pretty good but not any better than the disc. A drum does take less maintenance but also has more drag. Save your self the money (O.S. parts are pricey) and run the disc, just check the clearance every now and then.

Loose the stock carb and put a Geraghty in it. The stock clips in that engine are fine just clip the ears off.

What type of boat are you putting it in?

Mark

Back