• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Int'l Waters and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

pic requirement should we do it?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

should pics be required with all for sale posts?

• yes

Votes: 86 71.1%
  • no

Votes: 35 28.9%

• Total voters
I think when it comes to buying used parts the potential buyer can't always expect mint condition on stuff. The seller on the otherhand needs to be honest about whats offered for sale(in a perfect world that would happen ALL the time). For the most ofthe time, when i offer something for sale i usally post a pic of the item,i think it saves time(if 100 people asked for pics via email you just sent out 100 emails) if i didn't, i always try to clean them up and have them looking presentable. I've sold quite a few things over the years on this board and i try to have them look the way i would want if I were the buyer. I think that's the Key, the seller should Ask himself would i buy this the way it looks? just a thought.

id be happy if everyone had to post a price. i dont mind asking about a price,but when i ask for a price in the post and then its im,d to me i stop the deal right there. i dont think it happens as much here but jims is geting really bad about it. just my 2 cents.

if it sounds fishy it is fishy.

i have seen over the yrs on hear people sell stuff with pics.. and have just as many problems as with out.. my only thing is if i buy something i would at least like to see it..

quite honestly a pic won't help if someone gets took.. i can take a pic of a brand new motor and advertise it as new then turn around and sell a blown up one.. i know of people that have done that.. not cool

guess you have to take there word.. and hope that people are honest.. that is why i don't sell to much on the forsale. if i do you can bank on what i say.. if you don't feel like it is what i say i make it right.. that simple.

i sold a boat to a guy last yr. my old boat.. well i advertised it with something.. then found out what i stated was wrong.. i sent him an extra spare uncut cowl.. and extra set of rear sponsons because i felt bad.

no so much because i had to but i WANTED TO so he didn't feel like he got took

like richard d said WHAT HAPPENED TO HONESTY.

just my opinon
I'm with Chris and Richard. A pic of the outside of a "New Looking" engine does not mean the parts are NOT wore out or the bearings are NOT corroded. Likewise a ratty looking crankcase may house some pristine parts on the inside.

Even a pic of a nice clean looking set of bearing does not mean they are good. And what if we are selling glow plugs that are out of the package? And servos or any other electronics?

It's to the sellers advantage to provide pics. If he does not, many potential buyers will pass it by. It's that simple.

Many happy transactions have been completed without pics and I'm sure some unhappy transactions started with a nice picture.

In a way I'm not surprise to see so many vote YES to the "Picture Law".

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Robin- I will e-mail pics but resizing them is something I can't do easily.
No need to re size using Tinypic.com , so easy even i can do it !!! They offer a sizing guide that all you do is click .

http://tinypic.com/
It doesnt get ANY easier than this site. It allows you to pick specific sizes for just about any use. I use it for everything.

After originally casting my vote prior to reading the entire thread
rolleyes.gif

I'm kinda rethinking my yes (required) vote. I put pics on anything I sell, as I feel it helps move an item that you can look at right now.

That said- to require it on everything for sale can be problematic as well in the long run for many reasons.

Andy
Andy, What is the best size and how do you attach them?

Thanks,

Glenn

Any size picture works- just use the " best for forums/message boards" size after Tinypic downloads it.
wink.gif

I agree with Robin- I will e-mail pics but resizing them is something I can't do easily.
No need to re size using Tinypic.com , so easy even i can do it !!! They offer a sizing guide that all you do is click .

http://tinypic.com/
It doesnt get ANY easier than this site. It allows you to pick specific sizes for just about any use. I use it for everything.

After originally casting my vote prior to reading the entire thread
rolleyes.gif

I'm kinda rethinking my yes (required) vote. I put pics on anything I sell, as I feel it helps move an item that you can look at right now.

That said- to require it on everything for sale can be problematic as well in the long run for many reasons.

Andy
Andy, What is the best size and how do you attach them?

Thanks,

Glenn

Any size picture works- just use the " best for forums/message boards" size after Tinypic downloads it.
wink.gif

Don,

Does this mean I will have to go out and buy a camera, learn how to use it, and the learn how, to post pictures it one here, this should take me about two years or so.

What do I do during the two year learning curve to Sell Something on this site??????

Walt Barney

Tanks 2 U

Walt's Hobbies

I've been reading this post and saying to myself WTF?!?

Why did this even get raised as a question??? If you actually do make pics mandatory it REALLY does nothing to protect the buyer then we are now. AND makes it more of a PITA for those who dont want to have to post a pick for whatever reason. This isnt a win-win proposal it is a lose-lose for both buyers and sellers.

There are a number of good reasons already given of why people might not to want to post a pic, and I just add one more. I just GAVE (not sold) a set of sponsons away (I ended up paying shipping too!!)... but if I had to go thru the hassle of posting a pic for somthing that was a no-risk-to-the-buyer-whatsover situation, I wouldnt have posted them at all. Too much of a PITA for something so small.

Don, this is really a null-n-void question/poll.

I agree with Todd! This whole thread has put a burr under my saddle ever since it started. This may sound extreme but think about it - What we are talking about is the freedom to sell something with or without pics. At the same time, we're trying to provide some security to the would-be buyer. There is a famous quote from Ben Franklin, which has been embellished upon over the years, that in today's lingo goes like this - Anyone who would give up even a little freedom in exchange for security will lose both and deserve neither.

Is it a good idea to include pics to sell something - SURE! It is a BAD idea to require them. I could see making pics "recommended" or even "strongly recommended" but come on - what can you tell about a used car's transmission from a picture on the internet?

Wow, some of these posts are down right entertaining if nothing else. "govt regulation"? "Back in the 80's"? "famous quote from Ben Franklin"? "two year learning curve"? "like that ugly prom date"? You guys crack me up!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

For those of you are asking why this poll happened you would be surprised how often the question of why we don't require pics in for sale ads comes up, how we should require it, why don't we do a poll about it. So now the poll got done and everyone can see where most stand on the subject. And yes it was just a poll. ;)

And one last thing...... a couple of you in the vastly outnumbered minority (70/30) strongly protesting against this are also ones who've posted in past O/T threads about how this country is a democracy and how we got so messed up always catering to the vocal minorities instead of doing what most want, etc. Like that song from the 80's says "things that make you go hmmmmm....." :p

I'm done with this, those that asked for a poll got it. If Tom wants to make the change it's entirely his call, doesn't matter to me as I use pics. B)

I do think we should take up a collection for Robin so we can get him some faster squirrels so his dial up runs better up in them thar Virginny mountains. :lol:

You all have a really fun day today, I'm counting down the hours to the end of the day as it's finally going to be nice enough this weekend to get out to the pond and test some new stuff. :)

Don, Does that Mean CABIN FEVER is OVER??? & these Silly ass Polls too? MAN I`am just GLAD CABIN FEVER IS OVER..... I was about to Blow Up!!!!! :blink: :blink: :lol: :lol: I hope to Spray NITRO Fuel Very Very Soon!!!!!!!

Don, Does that Mean CABIN FEVER is OVER??? & these Silly ass Polls too? MAN I`am just GLAD CABIN FEVER IS OVER..... I was about to Blow Up!!!!! :blink: :blink: :lol: :lol: I hope to Spray NITRO Fuel Very Very Soon!!!!!!!
Did all the snow melt yet over there? I think you guys got way more than us this winter. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did all the snow melt yet over there? I think you guys got way more than us this winter. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes sir 71-72 degrees here this week. We had 6-7 inches of snow last week.....But Spring is around the corner....Just need the water to warm just a little, So we dont have to pull the water lines off to make heat.... Got a lot of Equipment to Run..... The 90 hydro is Sweeeeeet. Glad to get it in my Trailer. It will be Kick Ass with the New 91 VAC under the Hood & a OPS 90 pipe. :) :) :D :D

By all means REQUEST a PIC If you dont feel safe with the Tranaction of buying a Used boat assembly or a part. Many sellers & buyers on here & people I know whould just give you your Dollars back if your Not Happy.... If the Seller Denies you a pic then you may want to Reconsider. Trade with people you know or Drop by a race site to buy a boat wanted, You can view it for what it is & the price too.... P.S. there were a Ton of Boats & Parts for sale @ the Orlando Winter Nats...... Gas & Nitro.. B)

Back