Phil Thomas SS21 setup help

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodneyPierce

Well guys, I just scored a PT SS21 from Doug, and i was just looking for some setup advise. Prop, strut depth, etc. Ill be running a GO 21 7 port engine.

Well guys, I just scored a PT SS21 from Doug, and i was just looking for some setup advise. Prop, strut depth, etc. Ill be running a GO 21 7 port engine.
Here are the strut and bp I will try to send you a email copy of the whole setup info sheets.

8. TRIMMING THE BOAT

The 1 1/16” inch strut depth is a good starting point. If the boat rides too light on the water, adjust the strut deeper. If the front sponson are running too hard on the water adjust the strut higher until the boat rides flat on the water but will not blow off. Small adjustments to the strut angle can be made also. Weight can be added to the nose to fine trim the hulls balance point if needed. The hull should balance about 14 inches from the transom without fuel.

Phil, got your email! Thanks. I didnt see anything as far as recommended prop, what do you recommend? 440?

radio box is too small. i cant even get my 4 AA receiver pack in there. Im going to have to go buy a rechargeable one. **** I hate them things!!

Read the instrutions!!! Mine turned out great the radio box is tight, but you can get it all in with room. It took me some time to figure it out. I used a 2/3A 6 cell flat pack. I can post pics. If you would like. The ssp 21 is running flawlessly. I'm currently in first plase Dist. 6 tcmbc, first year running the boat (very fun to drive).

THANKS PHIL, for making a great hull.

Last edited by a moderator:
radio box is too small. i cant even get my 4 AA receiver pack in there. Im going to have to go buy a rechargeable one. **** I hate them things!!
The prop that seems to work well is a m440 2 blade.

What this radio box look like/ small lid in the center or a wider one avout 3 inch wide. I made a more acessable box for the later hulls.

The plastic spring contact battery holder will fit in the older boxes Im sure.

You must not run much cause those things will FAIL over a long time.

I know i have used a 4 cell flat pack 600 ma AA cells and 4 cell AA square packs too.

Tim, thanks, but ive already read the instructions, more then once......... And its a PRE OWNED HULL!!! Its already set up, so no, i cant get my STANDARD run of the mill 4 "AA" pack in there, you know, the ones that use standard AA batterys, replaceable, come with every radio you buy???? Yeah, thats not going in there.....

I also never once said it wasnt a good, or great, hell, one of the best hulls

What this radio box look like/ small lid in the center or a wider one avout 3 inch wide. I made a more acessable box for the later hulls.

I know i have used a 4 cell flat pack 600 ma AA cells and 4 cell AA square packs too.

Phil, its the small one. Ill get a 4 cell flat pack tomorrow or friday. What do I need for mAH?

Tim, thanks, but ive already read the instructions, more then once......... And its a PRE OWNED HULL!!! Its already set up, so no, i cant get my STANDARD run of the mill 4 "AA" pack in there, you know, the ones that use standard AA batterys, replaceable, come with every radio you buy???? Yeah, thats not going in there.....

I also never once said it wasnt a good, or great, hell, one of the best hulls
I did not know the radio box was already set up, sorry.

Yes, I do know the AA pack you are talking about.

Just complemented Phil on the great hull, thats all.

You will love to drive it Rodney, good luck

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil, its the small one. Ill get a 4 cell flat pack tomorrow or friday. What do I need for mAH?
A regular 600 mah pack will be fine Servocity has these on sale for $6 if they still have them, thats what I have used in the smaller boats.

That plastic battery holder will fit if the servos are installed in the right spot to make room in the front of the box.

I got a 4 cell flat pack, 2300 mah. Got her all setup and running yesterday, but she sure does hop around on the water quite abit. Gonna take me a while to get this ole girl settled down some.

I got a 4 cell flat pack, 2300 mah. Got her all setup and running yesterday, but she sure does hop around on the water quite abit. Gonna take me a while to get this ole girl settled down some.
OK great deal. That boat does seem to run looser and bounce around but it stays on the water.

Play with the strut depth and angle it down a bit too. just a small strip of lead on the left keeps mine preety steady. Saw some of mine running real good at the Masters this week.

Phil, Yes, will do. It did only get light on me one time but i was able to keep it from blowing off. Im also breaking in a new motor, so I didnt have it over 50 mph. Once it gets broken in though, this ole girl is going to fly!

Also, Phil, Doug said you set this boat up originally. The strut was very high, so I didnt know if it got tweaked in shipping or what, so I reset it to the 1 1/16 that was recommended in the setup. But I now have it up higher. Ill get a measurement tonight for you.

Also, Phil, Doug said you set this boat up originally. The strut was very high, so I didnt know if it got tweaked in shipping or what, so I reset it to the 1 1/16 that was recommended in the setup. But I now have it up higher. Ill get a measurement tonight for you.
shouldnt need it much deeper than that, work on the balance too.

shouldnt need it much deeper than that, work on the balance too.
where is a good balance point for this hull? Right at the back of the sponson's?

Here are the strut and bp I will try to send you a email copy of the whole setup info sheets.

8. TRIMMING THE BOAT

The 1 1/16” inch strut depth is a good starting point. If the boat rides too light on the water, adjust the strut deeper. If the front sponson are running too hard on the water adjust the strut higher until the boat rides flat on the water but will not blow off. Small adjustments to the strut angle can be made also. Weight can be added to the nose to fine trim the hulls balance point if needed. The hull should balance about 14 inches from the transom without fuel.

8. TRIMMING THE BOAT

Phil, thanks! I overlooked that!~ Sorry.

The boat balances right at 14 inches from the transom. So I would say the weight it spread out about perfect. I set the strut to an even 1 inch from the bottom of the boat, and slight down ward angle to try and keep the nose down abit more. We will test this out this weekend, and see what I come up with.

Back