Phil Thomas sport 20 setup

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keebibear

I just got a used sport 20 from a dock member Im looking for setup tips.Ive been away for a couple years but have never had one of these.Radio box is up front and looks as the tank was in the middle rear just over the shaft but no tank was with. What tank size is every one using? 8oz and maybe a 2 oz add on? Im assuming placed in the middle forward as far as possible? How about props and strut height? Im gonna run a OS RZM I found in a drawer I forgot I had.Any help would be great.Thanks.

Rob you going to come race again with the TCMBC? I have all the setup specs for that boat and pics too.

Larry

Maybe a few select races. Im not sure how much time Ill spend racing as Ive pretty much moved on to the bigger faster I can sit in and drive performance boats so time isnt easy to find these days.It was a good deal so I had to have it but the big question is is there enough to make a class? I have Tims and Jeff sold his so how many are left? We will but Ide love to see some pics of setups and instructions if I can.

I sent you a pm. For other Sport 20's in the club, Dave Petrich, Tim Leyde, Ted Buckley, Joe Steele, Me. Patrick Steele ran one at some races last season, and Ron Travis has one but doesn't come to races often anymore. Big Bryon usually brings his when he comes to race.

Rob

Nice to see you on here! I have mine dialed in. I'll give ya everything you would like to know about my set up. Check out the TCMBC.org site. I also have them in my gallery. That is my bright yellow PT sport 20.

I'll post some pics soon.

TL

Rob
Nice to see you on here! I have mine dialed in. I'll give ya everything you would like to know about my set up. Check out the TCMBC.org site. I also have them in my gallery. That is my bright yellow PT sport 20.

I'll post some pics soon.

TL
Our boats are almost identical .... Could be trouble if i make race day!!!!! I do have the stealth cowl to be a bit different! !!

Thanks guys, Im glad to see there is still some around in the club.How about props? Whats working?

Thanks guys, Im glad to see there is still some around in the club.How about props? Whats working?
Rob, a GR(Grim Racer) 40X52/3 would work good. An M440(Octura). I know some people have used(Octura) 1440, but I haven't tried that yet.

Full diameter 15 degree back cut Octura 1440 cupped to 3.3" was the best performing prop on my 35+ powered PT SS.21. Launched like a mono, accelerated down the straights like a drag boat,and cornered like an outrigger. Strut depth 1 1/16", 1/2 degree negative angle, Mike Hughes turn fin, 3280 pipe at 8 1/8".

Last edited by a moderator:
I will have a sport 20 also this year at the club races also Rob. Got to give my brother something to chace. :D

Mark

Mine runs best with a back cut 1440 at 3.1. Strut set at about 7/8 from bottom of strut to bottom of hull. Fin with SLIGHT negative tilt to hold the boat on the water. Go .21 and S-Pipe set at 8 1/8. Runs pretty decent... I wont be running it next year, as I have a wood hull that I am currently building to take its place.

I will have a sport 20 also this year at the club races also Rob. Got to give my brother something to chace. :D

Mark
I've heard that line before from you. :eek: I'll believe it when I see it running on the pond with the radio in your hand. :p :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey Mark I tried to send you a email throught your motor sight but couldnt get past the spam protection. So how are the GO motors working? I think last time we talked you were still working on them and had some new ones in the works. Are you modding them too? Shoot me a price for a "good one".

Mark
I've heard that line before from you. :eek: I'll believe it when I see it running on the pond with the radio in your hand. :p :lol: :lol: :lol:
Let's change this up a little: Tim will be following Mark - Mark will be following Larry... Leave me in the lead.... :eek: :D :lol:

Mark
Let's change this up a little: Tim will be following Mark - Mark will be following Larry... Leave me in the lead.... :eek: :D :lol:
You should be on Comedy Central Ted. ;)

Rob

The GO motor could mot ne working any better. Ask anyone at the club who was at the MN champ race, Rodney and Mic H.

TL

Mark
You should be on Comedy Central Ted. ;)

I love the smack talk. Sport 20 is my favorite class. I will have a new one this year! I will say no more......

Rob, the GO motors are rocking. Easily capable of pushing a sport 20 to an honest low to mid 50's. Tim's is right there, mine as well. Plenty capable motor. And if you have seen mark's GO OB run, well, no more questions after that! Im a believer, its all I run for .21 motors.

Back