PayPal pros and cons

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Bonahoom

I notice there seems to be a lot of guys that don't like to use PayPal for buying and selling items on this site. To me, it seems to be a faster way to send funds and it provides the buyers a little extra protection, as they can dispute the charge if they end up not receiving what was advertised, etc. I assume the guys that don't use it are concerned with security. Just curious, has anybody had problems with security when using PayPal?

I run a home-based business building high-end musical instrument speaker cabs (yes my days as an R/C boater have come in handy in this business...lol..) Paypal is an essential part of what I do. My shopping cart is tied into it, and in the 3+ years I've been in business, paypal hasn't caused me any grief.. What really makes this work well is the fact my wholesale parts sources also take paypal, and I can quickly turn customer orders into parts shipments without waiting 3-4 days for paypal to transfer funds.

Any bass players on Intlwaters? I am one of 6 authorized builders in the US for greenboy designs, and what I offer is smaller, lighter, and sonically superior.. My website: www.gigmaster.biz

We use it regularly. We have had our account # stolen a couple of different times. That is because we also use it as a credit card with vendors. But paypal was right on top of it... canceled the account, returned our stolen funds immediately and issued us a new account.

The only down side that I have seen is that a buyer can say that they never received the item. So it is very important, when sending something to someone you do not know well to use a well documented shipping method.

One other point in general. When shipping international via the USPS, while they offer insurance, we recently found that it was impossible for us to make a claim. This includes hours on the phone, ON HOLD, Talking to the personnel at the local post office and lastly trying to make a claim on-line, which is also impossible. That was an Insured Express mail package. Not 1st class or priority mail. So keep that in mind.

Best way to send money since they started checking accounts.

Makes it much easier for international business. No more intl. money orders.

Has been flawless for me for quite awhile.

Thanks For Reading,

Mark Sholund

I was burnt when ebay bought it i sent my money through paypal and never got the product i was told by paypal and ebay was my problem to get the product will never use ebay or paypal again

PayPal is great. I love it. I had no problems getting my account setup and when my customers use PayPal it is so easy an it assures me that the money is there very time.

-Carl

I recently came into the modern world and got myself a PayPal Account. Once you get used to using it, it isn't too bad. I buy from people that I know most of the time.

When I had Power Surge I had it.. now that I don't have PS I don't.. life is simple with less BS like PP..

I don't buy all that much stuff anyway. and when I do a MO works just fine.

grim

I sell a lot of stuff and use Paypal for payment. My only beef with them is it takes 3 to 4 days for money to show up in my account.

That 3 or 4 days makes paypal a lot of money. Then they take 2.9% plus 30 cents on each transaction. I guess that's not too bad though. Banks charge 2.5 to 3 percent for a credit card transaction, and then your credit card processor charges a monthly fee plus a per transaction fee.

Steve,

Not sure why yours takes so long, I get mine instantly.

PayPal works well for business and personal and it does give that added protection for same(or appears to)

At some point though if your a business your going to have a CC service because not everyone has a PayPal account and some never will.

Checks and M/O are good but waiting for them to get deposited and clear is time consuming, If they need parts fast it doesn't work unless you want to take a chance sending without payment.

I have done the latter, and so far so good.

The problem that I've run into is that a lot of online dealers love PayPal and prefer it to checks, MO's or other forms of payment. It is a faster way to move money if you need something ASAP.

It's when transferring from a PP account to a bank account it takes 3 or 4 days. There are some retail stores that take a few days to get your cash back in the account for a refund. Both are ridiculous.

Get a paypal debit card and you can use it as another bank account. That's what I do. No reason to transfer.

They only charge fees if you don't use the friends and family option. Other than that there's no fees for transferring to your bank account

Back