PAINTING AND SEALING RESIN PARTS

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark couty

2 questions for you.

1. What type of paint are you guys using on resin parts such as exhaust stacks, drivers heads, dashboards,steering wheels ?

2. What type of sealer are you using on the painted parts to make them fuel proof ?

I was looking more for the kind of paint you use and what kind of clear coat do you use over the paint to make it fuel proof.

I've used Testors enamels with PPG 2021 clear with no problems. Add a little flattener so it's not too glossy.

Not at all. Use flat enamel. Let it gas out for a week or so then fog on a light mist coat of the 2021, let it tack and then lay it on.

I had several good shots of a dummy motor and driver in the old gallery. But I guess it's no longer available.

MG-016-closeup.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Found one...

/monthly_10_2014/post-1299-0-00762300-1412369091_thumb.jpg

Frankly, I've had good enough success with boring old spray can laquer then I shoot 2 pack Automotive clear over top, mine happens to be a Debeere product, but I really don't think it matters. No science to it, that's just what I do and it seems to have worked with no issues.

You might consider "Klasskoat" polyurethane clear. It's fuel proof and pretty easy to work with. Check out their website.

I took the EZ way out, painted with Testors followed by 2021 clear. Look for the pics in my Atlas Van Lines post

Thanks guys for all your help.

Back