painting a scale

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carl Graff on here does some scale boat painting.Cost depends on how much prep work and how involved the paint scheme is..

I've been an auto painter for 25 years and painted many scales and large planes. To do a raw fiberglass or wood hull that's been glassed over takes about 40 hours to complete depending on the paint, my Tide takes about 50 hours with the neon and fades. I have never charged to paint a scale, it's just something I like to do for my racing buddies. I think at the minimum your looking at $15.00 an hour plus materials, 250 to 300 for good paint and primer. I think a grand would be a good deal.

Just to put it into perspective, a large scale 43% extra 540 costs about 1500.00 to 2K to have covered and painted, and the guys doing them cant keep up with demand.

You may want to try ProPainter over at the Dock, his web addy is: http://www.theairbrushalley.com/

He's in Evansville.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good post Pat. I definately think a lot of people don't realize just how expensive materials are. Even $250-300 for the materials is cheap when you factor in quality tape, overspray paper, sandpaper, fineline, mixing cups, laquor thinner, primer, base colors per pint, clearcoat, and intercoat clear like SG-100 HOK if you are doing multiple colors, plus the vinyl graphics. It really adds up quick!

I have painted scales for many years now and Pat is basically on the money with what he has stated above. My charges are $75.00 per color plus paint and as Mike stated there could also be some additional charges for prep depending on how bad the finish is on the hull. My paint jobs on scale boats generally run from $500.00 to $800.00 once again depending on the amount of colors. The $75.00 covers materials such as masking supplies, fillers and so on. I do not charge an hourly rate because if I had to add that up no one would want to pay for one.

$500 to $800 is where I would say I am with it too, like u said, depending on specifics!

I've had a couple of quotes here in the Seattle area of $200 plus materials for one color and clear. Again, that number includes minimal prep work so a boat that needs more prepping will go up on costs as needed for materials and labor

How about something as simple as a Bud T-5 boat , one colour with minimal prep work ?

I am not a painter.LOL

Tim

I paint boats for a lot of guys in dist 4,scales usually run a little more do to the detail work involved,some color schemes can run upwards of 40 plus hours of work along with materials.working as a bodytech and refinish tech for over 30 years.

How about something as simple as a Bud T-5 boat , one colour with minimal prep work ?

I am not a painter.LOL

Tim
I'm painting my T-6 in a couple weeks. I'm not perfect but I can show you a picture of one done recently. Same color as the T-6.

I paint my own unless I buy a runner already done......its part of the building process and satisfaction of doing it yourself. I can't imagine paying to have one done.....my price would be out of this world.....LOL

Back