paint

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buddy Beaird

Anyone know if I can use Dupont Chromabase ( I think it is urethane) over a lacquer primer. Local paint store doesn't know and I can't find info on Dupont site. Am interested because primer is so easy to use.

Thanks, Buddy Beaird

Buddy,

Yes. Chromabase will go over lacquer primer. The only problem is the urethane may not adhere to the primer very well. You see, urethane paints, used with the proper primer partially dissolve the surface of the underlying paint and adhere to it. Since Lacquer is not part of the urethane family, you may run into adhesion problems if you don't use some kind of primer/sealer. These usually show up wherever radio box tape is used.

I would suggest using an epoxy primer/surfacer. It's just as easy to use and bullet proof to boot if you're spraying with a gun.

My Brother has been using something different for a while and it's easy to do. He uses rattle can lacquer primer. Then, krylon in a rattle can. After it cures for a few days, he clear coats the whole thing with Dupont Imron. Seems to work fine except where the radio box tape touches.

About the only thing I can suggest is to make sure your surface and your primer is properly sanded to give the surface a "tooth" and wipe everything down with a good wax and grease remover to remove any finger prints aka body oil. Oh, use only "sandable primer" as the other is junk.

A 2K or epoxy primer that i have used is made by PPG it is called OMNI it works well and is fairly cheap as far as auto paint costs go. If you shoot urethane on top of lacqure you might get a reaction that will "bleed" through the top coat? if you luck aout and no reaction, then it is only a matter of time before it peals off, since lacqure primer never cures

i use imron single stage for the color and it lays down so nice you wouldnt belive it ands its cheap. i also use a primer i forgot the name but you mix it like polyester fiberglass and it smells like bondo, it is very good stuff. my dad just sprayed his pay n pak out this morning and the paint is like glass.

:p john doe :p

buddy, are you using a paint gun, ifso, you can use the ppg (AE) ACRYLIC ENAMEL SINGLE STAGE PAINT. this is what i do, prep the hull and then i spray the A-E on bare hull. then, i let dry for 24 hrs, then wet sand, let dry for 24 hrs, then, spray my final coats. no need for the clear coat the A-E has a gloss finish. plus i use 40% nitro.

Back