Paint won't cure. Need help

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Epoxy chemistry uses a hardener which must me mixed in the proper ratio to react with the resin molecules. The hardener is consumed by attaching to reaction sites on the resin molecules. Polyester chemistry uses a catalyst that is not consumed, once a resin molecule bonds to another resin molecule, the catalyst moves on to another reaction site. Epoxy hardeners are affected by moisture and sometimes oxygen. Too much hardener is just a bad as too little. I always mix epoxy resins by weight.

Epoxy chemistry uses a hardener which must me mixed in the proper ratio to react with the resin molecules. The hardener is consumed by attaching to reaction sites on the resin molecules. Polyester chemistry uses a catalyst that is not consumed, once a resin molecule bonds to another resin molecule, the catalyst moves on to another reaction site. Epoxy hardeners are affected by moisture and sometimes oxygen. Too much hardener is just a bad as too little. I always mix epoxy resins by weight.
I agreed with your comments. In the case of epoxy paint, it is hardener we mix in and not catalyst. I agree (and from experience as well) that too much or too little hardener will cause curing problem.

I am leaving the boat in the attic for a couple of days. I hope the UV and the extra heat will help the paint to cure. I hope this will save me from stripping the paint. Eventually I will strip the paint and start over because I am not sure how fuel proof the finish will be. But I hope the paint will cure enough so that I can do some test runs.

I agreed with your comments. In the case of epoxy paint, it is hardener we mix in and not catalyst. I agree (and from experience as well) that too much or too little hardener will cause curing problem.

I am leaving the boat in the attic for a couple of days. I hope the UV and the extra heat will help the paint to cure. I hope this will save me from stripping the paint. Eventually I will strip the paint and start over because I am not sure how fuel proof the finish will be. But I hope the paint will cure enough so that I can do some test runs.
dont put i attic,you need to remove it. might as well get with stripper . go to auto store, get it for "delaminating paint peeler" in a spray bomb. . if you used catalyzed primer , should come off without harm to the primer. . wear rubber painters gloves and eye protectant. use a plastic body putty squeege,remove the paint/paint remover. remember to dispose of correctly also. , wash with a tar and grease remover solvent. not a lacquer thinner.(remember, fire hazzard)and breathing hazzard., all should be done outdoors in fresh air, but not direct sunlight. , THEN use like bleach white tire cleaner and scrub thouroughly with a scotch brite (red) and rinse several times with clean warm water.dont use household soaps, contain all kinds of paint contaminates,(lonolin/ skin softner,scents, etc.) , lightly sand and lightly reprime. if you see any "shiney - gummy " spots in primer, you have paint remover on surface yet, remove that area.and do it again. sounds like a long process, but probably wont take all that long.

dan (body shop tech / painter.

Update: I was hoping the paint would cure enough so that I can test the boat and then start over in the fall. Well 3 weeks later the paint is still soft. So I took the advice and strip the paint and start over. It was a messy job but I was glad the epoxy glass was not affected. I hope to sand the primer tomorrow and shoot another coat of primer. Here is a picture of the project.

Thanks all for chming in.

kez

Re-prime.jpg

Back