Paint won't cure. Need help

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kez

I use Klass Kote and made a mistake last weekend while mixing the paint. I mixed in too much hardener.

While the paint dried normally, and has nice smooth finish, it will not cure hard. It is a very big job to sand all the paint off as it clogs the sandpaper (because the paint does not cure hard). Would another coat of paint mixed properly cause the first layer to cure? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

kez

sounds like you didnt mix enuf hardener. Paints not old is it? more hardener should speed the process not slow it unless the catalyst is no good.

Last edited:
I use Klass Kote and made a mistake last weekend while mixing the paint. I mixed in too much hardener.

While the paint dried normally, and has nice smooth finish, it will not cure hard. It is a very big job to sand all the paint off as it clogs the sandpaper (because the paint does not cure hard). Would another coat of paint mixed properly cause the first layer to cure? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

kez
This is one of the problems with these paints. I have heard that these paints are the made the same as the old Hobbypoxy paints. Every time I tryed these types of paint they would do this. And I am talking 30 years ago. So I started using PPG 2 part urethane paints. Problem went away.

Back then I used to use K&B and it worked pretty well. Havent found a primer as nice since. Youre better off with a rattle can and a good clear these days. Sounds like some dead catalyst. Id send it back an get a refund. Sucks to strip it all down but when ive tried what you were thinking - a new cote - it will likely bubble that smooth finish, so u may as well get ready to strip it down :( . I have come to be fond of the dupli color paints you can get at advanced auto with a good clear.

Last edited:
From experience, mixing too much catalyst will have the same effect as mixing not enough. The paint won't cure properly. I have never tried painting over the uncured epoxy. Just thought someone here might have tried it.

Sanding off old paint on a sport 40 is big enough job. But it is ten times worse with the paint not cured properly. The paint becomes gummy when sanded and it quickly clog the sandpaper.

Use aerosol aircraft stripper. I use it on my prather v .Thought it might hurt the epoxy glass but it did just fine. Cleaned the excess with an old expired CC and some lacquer thinner . No probs.

Last edited:
I would call Klass Kote tomorrow morning and talk with them. I have spoke at length with them about Klass Kote and they always seem ready to help.

D

You can also put it direct sunlight and let it get hot from the sun. I believe the UV rays and the heat will help to cause it to cure.

D

You can also put it direct sunlight and let it get hot from the sun. I believe the UV rays and the heat will help to cause it to cure.

D
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I will give it a try before stripping the paint. I agree that the UV ray and heat could help the paint cure.

Park your car outside exposed to direct sun light. Put the boat inside and let it sit all day long.

After you mixed the paint and catalyst together did you allow them to incubate for 30 minutes before you thinned it and sprayed it?

After you mixed the paint and catalyst together did you allow them to incubate for 30 minutes before you thinned it and sprayed it?
Yes, I did let the paint sit for 45 mins before thinning and spraying it. I have been using Hobbypoxy and K&B's Superpoxy for 30 years and I have always let the paint sit after mixing. K&B used to advertise that their Superpoxy did not require wait time but I did it anyway.

I am not blaming the paint. I mixed too much catalyst. I think these epoxy paints are not too forgiving and require precise mixing.

Kez, I think we all have had this problem - b4. I've used this Stripper, and it didn't hurt the boat - period. Better than trying to sand it off.

http://www.dadseasyspray.com/
I will leave it out in the sun and see if it helps cure the paint. If it does not work, I will give one of the suggested strippers a try.
Another note, when I have used this type of paint(even the rattle-can versions), I paint the boat in the Fall. Usually takes the whole Winter before the paint is fully cured. Sometimes Epoxy based paints need that extra time, but when it's fully cured - it's worth it.

Larry may have something here, after you mix Klass Kote paint and catalyst, you must let them induct(cure) for at

least 30 minutes before thinning. Longer induct time has had no effect on thinning in my painting, up to 1 hour.

If you have old materials, it could effect react time? If thinned too soon, could effect cure?

I hope it cures for you give it some time but I wouldnt cure it in direct sunlight. Heat softens epoxy.I consider paint cured when I cant smell it anymore.

Last edited:
Back